JUMBOTRONs

To build these things and hope that a pedestrian environment grows up around them is so Dallas...meaning it's tacky.

- Provide list of tacky things in Dallas.

- Evidence that DALLAS is building jumbotrons and hoping to build an urban environment around THEM. Please provide.

Its my understanding that the Jumbotrons are a small part of Victory Park, put there because Hillwood wants to enhance the experience in an area being designed for pedestrians(wide sidewalks, small setbacks, light rail, walking distance from West End, multiple nightlife venues)

1. Green neon on city's largest building

2. The refinery looking thing on the top of the building with the big X's

3. Suspension bridges being built over a weed covered floodplain

4. Texas Stadium

5. Soon to be moving jumbotrons

6. 200 ft tall farris wheel east of downtown

7. The Dallas Galleria

8. The Red Pegasus (is it still there?)

9. The endless chain of McMansions

10. I-35

11. I-30

12. Mockingbird Station

13. Six Flags Over Texas

14. The giant dandelion with the blinking lights (aka Reunion Tower)

15. That hideous mirror glass building under Reunion Tower

16. All malls everywhere (not just Dallas)

17. Fountain Place

18. The soon to be built "ski resort theme park"

19. "The Port of Dallas"

20. Harry Hines Blvd

Of coarse this list is only opinion, and believe me I just got started, but all that being said, I don't particularly have a problem with tacky things. Tacky things can be very fun and be a great source of entertainment. There is no place in the world without its share of tacky things. Houston has plenty of tacky things, so does LA, NY, CHI, SF, and every other city on earth - so don't take it too personal. You asked for a list.

One person's idea of glamour is another person's idea of tacky.

Edited by Mister X

I don't think I was reaching at all. You asked for a list of tacky things in Dallas and I gave you one. This is my honest opinion. Your entitled to your opinion too, but tackyness is in the eye of the beholder. Duh, any list of tasteful and tacky things can only be an opinion. Even yours.

If it makes you feel any better Rant, I'm sure there are many people who think the downtown refinery and big dandelion are the pinnacle of taste and sophisication.

I could give you much longer list, but really what's the point. In my OPINION even making a list like this is tacky - by the way, SO IS ASKING FOR ONE. But like I said, I don't have a big problem with tacky. Its kind of fun. Just lighten up and enjoy your tacky town - I always get a laugh out of it as I drive around.

Anyway, wasn't this supposed to be about bunches of Jumbotrons? They are definitely tacky, but they are also fun and draw crowds. I hope the builders of the Houston Pavilions try to incorporate some into the design. People love blinky, shiny, tacky things. Why do you think we celebrate Christmas for one month out of every year?

But seriously, don't worry about tacky - just try to have fun with it.

^One month of Christmas? People in here in America start right after Halloween. That's when all of the Christmas Sales papers come out in the Houston Chronicle.

Edit: Post 100!!!!

Edited by Trae

Web_Siteplan-Final_800w.jpg

Now my idea is to have seven jumbotrons downtown all together. The biggest one being at the Great Lawn on Crawford Prominade facing toward George R. Brown, where you have Houston's skyline in the background. We could use the Great Lawn as the permanent party area for fans the same way the Richmond strip was when the Rockets won those two championships in '94 and '95, but this time with no cars. When our team wins, have a crazy fireworks display from Houston's buildings. And bring back the Power of Houston festival, where we could watch the fireworks display and a special video from the Great Lawn.

Also have one on Crawford and McKenney facing MMP. Maybe that would help spur more business between MMP and the downtown park.

1414434-Travel_Picture-Downtown_Houston_Main_Street_Super_Bowl.jpg

Have two more on Main Street Square: one on the building where the projection screen was showing the Astros NLCS and World Series games, and another on the building in the background with the Super Bowl Houston logo on it.

ar-NightAerial.jpg

Then have two more on the parking garage on Main and Polk, with one facing Polk, and the other facing the intersection at Polk and Fannin. Either that, or put one on each side of the skywalk betwen Pavilions and the parking garage.

Finally, have one at Toyota Center where it was initially proposed.

Please till me your kidding :unsure:

I think that projecting on walls for special events is alright, it's temporary and serves tha event. But there is such a thing as Jumbotron over kill

It wouldn't be overkill if the big screens were spread out like that. And the only thing in those places now are bare walls and parking garages.

Why can Houston have a permanent legitimate party/tailgate/pedestrian style 7 days a week instead of only a few occasional special events? How often will there be a Super Bowl or World Series-size event in Houston? We have to create our own.

• 8 months later...
Times Square has at least 10 jumbotron tvs within it, and there's many other cities worldwide that have them as well, but they're much more spread out throughout the city compared to NYC, where all seem confined to Times Square. I'd LOVE to see some jumbotrons downtown, including at least one at Pavillions, and perhaps two or three around the downtown park, Main Street, and Bayou Place.

they would look tacky

And downtown Chicago and San Francisco don't have any downtown Jumbotrons and they are, in my opinion, far more beautiful cities than NYC.

Houston just isn't a "Jumbotron" downtown kind of a place. Think of the goal being class and taste, not crass and gaudy (NYC/LV).

Just my 2 cents.

JUMBOTRONs are just animated billboards and Houston has plenty of those, I am for JUMBOTRONs.

I can's start up a poll 4 some reason within the thread. I may have to start the poll in another thread, then an admin would probably merge it with this one. No biggie :)

Here's a question: I heard in other threads that some of the parking garages Downtown are considered eyesores. Why not have a jumbotron or two on the new parking garage for Houston Pavillions?

OK, I am not exactly for the whole jumbo screen thingys but I think some of those blank wall buidings in downtown could use some of those huge advertisements. Some of those can be pure art, especially at night.

224675150_999970b16d.jpg

For example, that huge visible wall in this photo next to the Rice.

157220354_c98f98af1f_o.jpg

Here's a question: I heard in other threads that some of the parking garages Downtown are considered eyesores. Why not have a jumbotron or two on the new parking garage for Houston Pavillions?

I agree, I have seen banners hanging off them during special events, a permanent video screen would be a nice asthetic cover up.

I'm a huge opponent of putting billboards on buildings. It's bad enough to have them freestanding along a highway (IMO) but they're even worse on buildings.

As for the jumbotrons, I think their usage should be limited and confined to specific points of interest. Something akin to the electric marquee used by the Wortham wouldn't be a bad thing at HP, although I'd agree in advance that if you're going that route, you'd also want to jazz it up, too. The screen used at the Wortham is pretty plain jane, which is fine, given what it is, but probably wouldn't cut it for something like HP.