The Best Place To Photograph Orbs

torvald

Montrose1100 mentioned something about photographing "orbs" in another

thread and i was wondering where you've had success/annoyance capturing

them.

there's lots speculation about "orbs" being anything from ghosts to dust. :mellow:

without fail, i always get them at the axiom. whether during a concert,

play or puppet show --- those damn orbs are everywhere. mostly in

the main room (mostly where the side stage and sound room are located,

more than the bar and lounge area). i have never had problems getting

them in the stage and seating room. i thought maybe it was the side stage

lighting but i also get them when the lighting is off.

i have shot quite a few live shows in my day and don't usually have problems

with "orbs", i say problems because i don't want them in my photos so that means

extra photoshop time.

i found very odd orbs (not boobies :rolleyes: ) at the baker hotel in mineral wells, and at the pool in front of city hall

funny enough, in all the other older buildings i've been in, not much like that has occurred

I've often wondered if the presence has anything to do with your equipment than your subject matter or location. I know people who can take six pictures and have three with orbs on them. At the same time, I've taken probably 30,000 pictures over the last three years and only seen one that I can remember.

Naturally, orbs show up more with dark backgrounds, but I take a lot of photos at night and haven't seen them. I wonder if it's light reflecting off of dust close to a flash, because I almost never use a flash, even when taking photos at night, while your average person using a drug store disposable camera will flash almost every frame.

I've often wondered if the presence has anything to do with your equipment than your subject matter or location. I know people who can take six pictures and have three with orbs on them. At the same time, I've taken probably 30,000 pictures over the last three years and only seen one that I can remember.

Naturally, orbs show up more with dark backgrounds, but I take a lot of photos at night and haven't seen them. I wonder if it's light reflecting off of dust close to a flash, because I almost never use a flash, even when taking photos at night, while your average person using a drug store disposable camera will flash almost every frame.

Light refraction is the most common reason "orbs" appear on camera's. There are some unexplainable "orbs" but most can be attributed to refraction.

Ditto. Almost every night shot I've ever taken has been on a long exposure and the only 'orbs' that ever show up are where there are lights.

I once took a 20-second exposure from the top of a tall hill looking down over a campground at about 9 or 10 in the evening. There were two campfires visible from my vantage point, and each came out looking very erie in the context of the setting.

i tend to side with the dust/debris cause. maybe the axiom is particularly dusty?

most of the "orbish" photos i had were with flash and while

focused on something in the background. yet, i have photographed

in enough graveyards and dusty old empty places (for research of

course) without getting them at all...

Back in the 20th Century, I used a wonderful film camera, and I would always snap a few photos in Germany. I don't agree with the dust theary, because I think it would not be in a perfect circle if it were dust, close to the camera. Usually moisture shows up like that, in white/blue/whatever color circles. But I would only excuse that off with outside photos. Anyways, Its a bit Ironic I only have these little orbs in my photos in the sterotypical haunted place. I have caputred some with my digital camera, all 3 of the differnt ones I've had over the years. (HP, Canon, Kodak).

When I take night photos, they show up with or without the flash. Photography is a very interesting thing, and discussing "orbs" often lead me to think about photos proclaiming to have ghosts, and even EVP and such...

Back in the 20th Century, I used a wonderful film camera, and I would always snap a few photos in Germany. I don't agree with the dust theary, because I think it would not be in a perfect circle if it were dust, close to the camera. Usually moisture shows up like that, in white/blue/whatever color circles. But I would only excuse that off with outside photos. Anyways, Its a bit Ironic I only have these little orbs in my photos in the sterotypical haunted place. I have caputred some with my digital camera, all 3 of the differnt ones I've had over the years. (HP, Canon, Kodak).

When I take night photos, they show up with or without the flash. Photography is a very interesting thing, and discussing "orbs" often lead me to think about photos proclaiming to have ghosts, and even EVP and such...

i would say that since photographing the graveyards and the

other old buildings that i've gone digital with occasional polaroids.

i have gotten much less "orbage" without using film. i always

thought it was a better lens?

i would say that since photographing the graveyards and the

other old buildings that i've gone digital with occasional polaroids.

i have gotten much less "orbage" without using film. i always

thought it was a better lens?

Its harder for me to say which one I got more orbs with... Film or Digital, because only until a year ago, I started getting interested in taking pictures... I mean, vacations maybe, but other then that, just nothing special. As appose to now, I try to never leave the house without it ;) .

And its only now since I am using Digital, I can easily plug it in, and get all my pictures, no more going to CVS for the disk, or waiting an hour for film.

• 3 months later...
What exactly is an orb in a picture? Does anyone have a picture of one?

it's an odd little dot/sphere in a picture - might be dust, refraction, or spirits...who knows!

this is from the baker hotel in mineral wells...there are a few spots on the left and right sides - a seemingly active building, but i am still skeptical :blush:

bakerorbs.JPG

There are lots of "orb" pix on the web.. Art Bell/Coast to Coast

used to show those things.. Basically, "orbs" are those quirks

in a picture like halos, spots, hazy spots, etc, etc.. Myself, I don't

think they are ghosts. I think most all "orbs" are quirks of the camera

lense, lighting, dust, water, etc... But to each his own I guess...

I kinda lump it along with viewing "auras" using weird camera setups..

I'm fairly skeptical when it comes to stuff like that. I believe ghosts

can exist, but they don't appear as "orbs". I've known of people that

have seen ghosts. I don't think they were fibbing about it. To nearly

a one, the "ghosts" looked like the actual person. A friend of mine

lives in a house that has had lots of things happen in it. IE: his father

shot himself in the back bedroom, among other things. A few years

later a common friend of ours was sleeping over there one night.

He had no reason to really think about the guys father, as they

were just partying, etc.. Anyway, after a night of party, he passed

out on the couch. A few hours later he woke up for some reason,

and he says he saw the guys father standing at the foot of the couch

looking at him. "He knew him before he died, and could recognize him."

He told me about this a few days later. Said he almost wet himself..

I forgot how long he said he saw him.. I'd have to ask him again.

I had the impression he fell back asleep... I knew another guy that

lived across the street years ago. They had an uncle that had died a

few years earlier.. Rerun... One night the guys big brother woke up,

and the uncle was standing at the foot of his bed looking at him.

Again, he looked pretty much as in life according to him..

Anyway, just thought I'd throw in these real life ghost tales to liven

things up.. LOL...:/

MK

Anytime your shooting in dimly lit areas, ANY light can cause refraction, it's just more common with spotting.

i see what you mean, and i am not trying to be argumentative :D

i have several more interior pictures of the hotel, and there are sometimes more or less (or no) orbs in the picture. i tried to account for dust, light, anything else, but something still wasn't adding up...

i see what you mean, and i am not trying to be argumentative :D

i have several more interior pictures of the hotel, and there are sometimes more or less (or no) orbs in the picture. i tried to account for dust, light, anything else, but something still wasn't adding up...

No problem, I didn't take it personally.

It's not reflection, it's light refraction. This is common with dark shots especially with spot lighting.

You're right, technically it's "refraction", not "reflection". It's a light wave being bent by the internal elements of the lens. Different lens designs and quality levels produce varying levels of these "spots".

• 1 year later...
Here is great orb picture taken by myself at the Morgans Point Cemetery at night.

Still not sure?

MORGANS POINT CEMETERY ORB http://www.freewebs.com/gravehost/morganspointcemorb.htm

I wonder what kind of activity you'd get at one of the county cemeteries for poor folks. I can't help but wonder whether the amount of orb activity at a cemetery is directly proportionate to the number of buried persons, or whether some other factors influence them...for instance the lavishness of an average funeral at that cemetery, cultural, demographic, or socioeconomic factors.

There are those who claim that they have captured images of Heaven on their Polaroid cameras. There's an interesting explanation at The Mystery of the Golden Door, which seems pretty convincing.

Yet...

Several years ago, when my father died, I was taking a photography class at Glassell. The day after his funeral I took a shot of the cemetery. After developing the film, I printed a contact sheet. That shot contains an unexplained blob (orb?) which, oddly, is just above his grave.

Maybe it was some fluke in that print. I haven't enlarged the negative - and don't intend to.

Archived