University of Houston Upcoming Campus Improvements

This topic ties in somewhat with the "Tier I" discussion that was discussed here recently. I believe the intent of releasing the results of this study are to show Houston the benefits of investing in the University of Houston.

However, what I thought most intriguing here was the last paragraph of the press release. Sounds like big plans are in store for UH. Doubling the number of on-campus residents will be great for UH, for the surrounding commercial areas, and for UH's perception. I think there's currently about 5,000 on-campus residents; doubling that to 10,000 will increase the demand for all kinds of businesses, like restaurants, bars, retail. I can't wait to see this become reality.

The University of Houston will also soon begin a $700 million capital campaign. I would assume that much of this will be used for the campus expansion and residence halls. I know that a small portion of the fund drive will be allotted for athletics facilities improvements, including improvements to Robertson Stadium, a renovation of Hofheinz Pavilion, and a new baseball scoreboard.

I always love to hear about improvements at my alma mater.

http://www.uh.edu/admin/media/nr/2006/05ma...6uhsimpact.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

May 15, 2006

713.743.8189 (office)

281.627.2065 (cell)

egerber@uh.edu

$3 BILLION ANNUAL IMPACT OF UH SYSTEM DETAILED TO COMMUNITY LEADERS

Chancellor Jay Gogue, Noted Economist Barton Smith Presenting New Study

University of Houston System Chancellor Jay Gogue and noted economist Barton Smith will present the results of an extensive new study analyzing the university system

That is great news. As a MBA from UH I am always excited to see the school in a good light. I had the opportunity recently to hit a Dynamo game and I was impressed with the campus. It had been nearly 4 years since I finished up there and sadly I had not gone back. The new "Wellness" center looks wonderful.

I agree that student housing would be great. I could not help but notice that the surounding area is still pretty rough. I could not talk my friends into hitting Frenchy's. Even on the promise of the best fried chicken in the entire world, they would not risk their lives.

I used to hit that place at least once a week at 9pm after class. I must be brave. Sorry for the digression.

Good news. It's high time Gogue engages the city of Houston.

No, just smart. I have not kept up on the stats lately, but A&M and UT had more campus area crime than UH.

I've looked up the stats numerous times. The university police crime stats that are kept include the campus and adjacent off-campus areas. As I remember it, A&M and UH were pretty similar crime-wise, but UT-Austin was off the charts in nearly every category...especially violent crime. As I remember it, the only category that UH lead in was car break-ins...and we were way out in front of everybody on that one.

No, you're not brave for going to Frenchy's at 9 pm. What did your friends think was gonna happen, a mugging in the middle of the 50 people in line for chicken?

Unfortunately for UH, perception of the campus is more important than the facts. I think for many people, especially many graduates of the lily-white UT-Austin and A&M schools, black = crime. When they see large groups of blacks together, they're afraid. Unfortunately, there are plenty of UH alums who also share that view of UH as a "dangerous place."

I feel as safe at UH and around the campus as I do anywhere else in Houston. I've spent 1/2 of my adult life (8 years) either living on campus, parking on campus, or living a mile down Scott St. from campus (my current home). In those years I've personally experienced ZERO crime on or around campus, but I have had my car broken into in the Rice Military area and in my old Galleria area apartment complex, supposedly "safer" neighborhoods.

I know I probably sound like a broken record on this topic, but I get sick of the same stereotypes and perceptions of UH and the surrounding neighborhood that I've heard ever since I started school there. In my personal experience they couldn't be further from the truth.

I love having events like the Dynamo games on campus. That, more than anything, helps UH shake the old negative stereotypes. I've had people at work attend a game, then come back to work and say, "Wow, I didn't realize the campus was so beautiful...I always heard it was a ghetto school, but it's a nice place." My response is, "No $hit." B)

No, you're not brave for going to Frenchy's at 9 pm. What did your friends think was gonna happen, a mugging in the middle of the 50 people in line for chicken?

Actually I have a few run minor run ins at Frenchy's. Once I had a large male cut in front of me. When I said "excuse me, I was in line" he called me a cracker (I found this sort of humorous) and then told me that I did not need to eat there anyways (pretty sure he was making a fat joke). Half the restuarant laughed at/with me. I let him order in front of me. I stood my ground, but it was a little unsettling. Another time my order got messed up and I complained to the person who took my order. I was told to take it or leave it. I took it. And have not been back (mainly because I graduated and do not live close) The food is awesome and I have been there probably 25 times, and I have found that the later in the evening the more "roudy" the locals become.

Sorry, this topic has been totally brutalized. GO UH. I am fired up the school is continuing to make strides.

its a stereotype because the VAST MAJORITY of Texans are nice, friendly, and down to earth people. of course there are a few bad apples and such...a run in with thugs at a frenchys is no reason to say Texans arent friendly...but im glad for UH and hope that the impact is good for the university and the city of Houston

Hmmm....

I think the UH Master Plan is worthy of its own topic.

That's why I made the other post.

They really are two different topics

Not to mention Trophy being all scared of eating at Frenchy's. That kinda put this thred in a serious funk.

Hmmm....

I think the UH Master Plan is worthy of its own topic.

That's why I made the other post.

They really are two different topics

Not to mention Trophy being all scared of eating at Frenchy's. That kinda put this thred in a serious funk.

Come on now. I never once said I was scared of Frenchy's. I love that place. I was just relaying a story that happened to me. I am sticking with my thought that the sourounding are around the school is a little sketchy. I spent 2 years in grad school and took all night courses. I never really feared for my safety but I can see why people would be a little hessitant about walking to their car at night. Just one man's opinion.

Sorry for the funk. I have a way of killing threads. I just can't help myself sometimes.

I could not talk my friends into hitting Frenchy's. Even on the promise of the best fried chicken in the entire world, they would not risk their lives.

I used to hit that place at least once a week at 9pm after class. I must be brave.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I know I probably sound like a broken record on this topic, but I get sick of the same stereotypes and perceptions of UH and the surrounding neighborhood that I've heard ever since I started school there. In my personal experience they couldn't be further from the truth.

Actually I have a few run minor run ins at Frenchy's. Once I had a large male cut in front of me. When I said "excuse me, I was in line" he called me a cracker (I found this sort of humorous) and then told me that I did not need to eat there anyways (pretty sure he was making a fat joke). Half the restuarant laughed at/with me. I let him order in front of me. I stood my ground, but it was a little unsettling. Another time my order got messed up and I complained to the person who took my order. I was told to take it or leave it. I took it. And have not been back (mainly because I graduated and do not live close) The food is awesome and I have been there probably 25 times, and I have found that the later in the evening the more "roudy" the locals become.
I do not thing my isolated incident at an inner city fried chicken joint has much correlation to the overall freindliness level of the State of Texas.
a run in with thugs at a frenchys is no reason to say Texans arent friendly...
Come on now. I never once said I was scared of Frenchy's. I love that place. I was just relaying a story that happened to me. I am sticking with my thought that the sourounding are around the school is a little sketchy. I spent 2 years in grad school and took all night courses. I never really feared for my safety but I can see why people would be a little hessitant about walking to their car at night. Just one man's opinion.

Sorry for the funk. I have a way of killing threads. I just can't help myself sometimes.

It can be sketchy. So can the majority of Montrose, Fourth Ward, The Heights, Washington Ave., etc.

Welcome to H-town!

"It's all good"

I've been mulling this matter over for the past couple of days, and what strikes me as peculiar is the great lengths people have taken to avoid speaking honestly on this thread.

U of H in general and Frenchie's in particular have a persistant reputation for black against white bigotry and harassment. And for some reason that seems to be OK with some people.

Imagine if Trophy_Property's reply to the man who 'humorously' called him/her a "cracker" had been "Hey, you don't need to be so cold, Fudgesickle!" Suddenly, that's not funny at all. What nerve! Such a unfeeling, ignorant bigot!

But wait...no one mentioned race at all in any of these posts. Why am I assuming that the Frenchie's patrons were black and that Trophy Property is white? Because it's true. Isn't it?

And I don't know how someone has special knowledge that this is an isolated incident. How come I've heard similar stories over and again for 20+ years about this specific restaurant? Gee, if it was some sort of random racial bias, you'd think that it would apply to other places as well. The only other place that comes to mind is U of H's cafeteria, especially when the atheletes are eating there. When white students get trays knocked out of their hands or off their tables, or their food stolen or spit on, no one is supposed to mention it. Why?

While we're at it, when did it become stylish to vaguely say 'inner city' when what's meant is black? What is it about the truth that people find repellent?

I strongly dislike bigots and bullies, whatever their race. I think Dr. King would be disappointed in the content of these young peoples' charactor. And I don't understand why the U of H and Frenchie's continue to put up with this crap.

I suppose I'll be asked to substantiate the incidents that I've referred to. I can't. I don't have videotape or DNA evidence. I'm just repeating what I've heard over and over again about this one particular place. People have no problem with believing that there's certain areas where white-against-black bigotry is common (Vidor, Texas anyone?) yet suddenly believe that the reverse cannot possibly be true. And that sucks.

U of H in general
It's quite clear that you have no idea what you are talking about.
yet suddenly believe that the reverse cannot possibly be true

Please quote where someone said that is not possible.

Your rainbow pflag is affecting your reading comprehension.

And I don't know how someone has special knowledge that this is an isolated incident. How come I've heard similar stories over and again for 20+ years about this specific restaurant? Gee, if it was some sort of random racial bias, you'd think that it would apply to other places as well. The only other place that comes to mind is U of H's cafeteria, especially when the atheletes are eating there. When white students get trays knocked out of their hands or off their tables, or their food stolen or spit on, no one is supposed to mention it. Why?

I have never seen this happen

UH is gearing for a major fund raising campain, and this vido highlights their master plan.

Looks great.

http://www.advancement.uh.edu/impact/download/master.mpg

I'm not impressed. It sounds like they're essentially going to continue upon the long-term trend, but with high-priced residential components. If these people put any intellectual rigor into this at all, they'd realize that 'lofts' will be considered ridiculous in 20 years and that they should be building something less contemporary and more timeless and unique. As a credit borrower, they've got the opportunity to do that, whereas typical builders are kind of stuck providing subdivisions that all look the same because their customers have a hard time financing unique things.

And the video told us practically nothing about where all these new students are supposed to take classes, of all things...seemed like the whole point of this $3B is to detach UH from the image of being a commuter school and nothing else at all.

Very unimpressed.

I'm not impressed. It sounds like they're essentially going to continue upon the long-term trend, but with high-priced residential components. If these people put any intellectual rigor into this at all, they'd realize that 'lofts' will be considered ridiculous in 20 years and that they should be building something less contemporary and more timeless and unique. As a credit borrower, they've got the opportunity to do that, whereas typical builders are kind of stuck providing subdivisions that all look the same because their customers have a hard time financing unique things.

And the video told us practically nothing about where all these new students are supposed to take classes, of all things...seemed like the whole point of this $3B is to detach UH from the image of being a commuter school and nothing else at all.

Very unimpressed.

A crucial part of having a world-class university is having a large resident student population, something lacking at UH. The CRWC was a great first step to this and now serves as a great selling point to the university, for future students and donors. One of the main detractors from the university is its reputation as a commuter school. Austin and College Station both have ample entertainment and retail near campus while UH is caught in between a neighborhood and a railyard.

Also the video did mention expanding academic buildings too. The Fine Arts, Liberal Arts, and Business schools are quickly growing out of their buildings. The completion of the SEC building helped ease the problem but if the university is expecting an enrollment of 45000 it needs to build alot more facilities. I know that planning has begun for an expansion of Melcher Hall, thankfully into the eyesore of that gravel parking lot next to it. Also the construction of the UH-TSU transit center will help tie into future rail.

I wanted to get out of Houston for my Masters, but now with all the new stuff happening to UH and Houston, I may just stay.

A crucial part of having a world-class university is having a large resident student population, something lacking at UH. The CRWC was a great first step to this and now serves as a great selling point to the university, for future students and donors. One of the main detractors from the university is its reputation as a commuter school. Austin and College Station both have ample entertainment and retail near campus while UH is caught in between a neighborhood and a railyard.

Also the video did mention expanding academic buildings too. The Fine Arts, Liberal Arts, and Business schools are quickly growing out of their buildings. The completion of the SEC building helped ease the problem but if the university is expecting an enrollment of 45000 it needs to build alot more facilities. I know that planning has begun for an expansion of Melcher Hall, thankfully into the eyesore of that gravel parking lot next to it. Also the construction of the UH-TSU transit center will help tie into future rail.

I wanted to get out of Houston for my Masters, but now with all the new stuff happening to UH and Houston, I may just stay.

Sorry, still unimpressed. Btw, you do realize that this stuff isn't all going to just spring up in the next couple of years, right?

Easy, Tiger.

Main Entry: plan

3 : an orderly arrangement of parts of an overall design or objective

Websters

Yeah, well I think that their objectives are misguided. There are better uses of that money. If the University is really able to pull this off, becoming a Tier One research center, then they shouldn't need to spend billions of dollars to build the typical residential and commercial environment...private developers should be paying them for the right to build it themselves. That money should go toward creating the draw and anchor of the institution, not providing peripheral amenities.

Ditto. If I had a choice I would stay, but my major is not something that UofH specializes in to stay here for graduate school. Who knows, hopefully that will change one day.

Yeah, well I think that their objectives are misguided. There are better uses of that money. If the University is really able to pull this off, becoming a Tier One research center, then they shouldn't need to spend billions of dollars to build the typical residential and commercial environment...private developers should be paying them for the right to build it themselves. That money should go toward creating the draw and anchor of the institution, not providing peripheral amenities.

Private developers built Cambridge, Cullen, and Bayou Oaks on university land with their own money.

IIRC, Dobie Tower and the Castillian at UT were not built on UT property but were still financed by UT.

UH, like many other schools IS looking to outside developers to sell building rights to. Also, where was it said that ALL of the 3 billion dollars was to "peripheral amenities".

Archived