Grand Prix of Houston

Highway6

I think this was discussed before, but I had completely forgotten about it until someone mentioned the Grand Prix of Houston is this weekend.

I'm guessing it too late for tickets.. But for those of you interested...

It's being run Friday night at Reliant Park

and CBS will show it on Saturday 12-2pm.

Happy Racing !

is it too late to get tickets? i was assuming that the grand stands would be sold out, but you could walk up and just get general admission.

the grand prix is actually Saturday night. Friday night there is a race as well, but the Champ Car and Grand Prix are Saturday evening.

schedule of events

is it too late to get tickets? i was assuming that the grand stands would be sold out, but you could walk up and just get general admission.

the grand prix is actually Saturday night. Friday night there is a race as well, but the Champ Car and Grand Prix are Saturday evening.

schedule of events

Right.. I thought it was just le Mans racing. And you're right.. general admission tickets are still available it appears.

The Friday night race will be aired on CBS Saturday at Noon.

The Saturday night CART race will be aired live on Speed...

Does anyone know if Speed comes with basic TimeWarner....

Does the Astrodome have accented lights? Is RP doing anything special lighting-wise to help sell the set of this event ? It seems this race, at night, on national tv, could be pretty big for Houston, if RP was up to the task of making it look nice.

I think this was discussed before, but I had completely forgotten about it until someone mentioned the Grand Prix of Houston is this weekend.

I'm guessing it too late for tickets.. But for those of you interested...

It's being run Friday night at Reliant Park

and CBS will show it on Saturday 12-2pm.

Happy Racing !

You can go to Finger's furniture and register to win tickets for 2, he has 300 pairs to give away. No purchase necessary. :D

didn't they use to have it Downtown?

Yes but this will be better because it's going to be in a parking lot! Now you won't have to be annoyed with that irritating 200MPH straight-away on Austin behind the Park Shops. [sarcasm]

I'd love to see real Grand Prix come back to Houston. Too bad they dumbed down for a glorified go-cart race in a football stadium parking lot. :(

B)

Went to the races. It was great! I love the new format where the paddocks are totally open and part of the experience. It wasn't as crowded feeling because the infield was huge! There was plenty of open seating where you don't have to pay big bucks to get a seat. That's nice. Kids were free! That my friends is a bargain for a race. Plenty of other stuff to do and see. I really like the festival format. Lots of big screens too. Overall a well run event, if only the track was a bit nicer. We really need to support this because Houston needs to be the bearer of the international racing flag for Texas. Let Dallas keep the NASCAR flag.

i was there saturday, we had a great time.

Promoters announced that 127,729 tickets (including giveaways) were distributed for the three-day event, which included an American Le Mans Series race on Friday night.

I saw that attendance number. I think it is higher than when it was downtown. Back then, I don't think it ever got over 100K or so.

It did look pretty cool on TV. I've heard the room to move around made it more comfortable and enjoyable than DT. I prefer to see buildings as a backdrop, but the Astrodome and Reliant Stadium didn't look bad. Hell, even Reliant Center looked good.

It did look pretty cool on TV. I've heard the room to move around made it more comfortable and enjoyable than DT. I prefer to see buildings as a backdrop, but the Astrodome and Reliant Stadium didn't look bad. Hell, even Reliant Center looked good.

I thought the camera work was incredible. From inside the car it looked like a video game. It was very cool to see the Astrodome come up and throw to the right as the drivers took hard left turns decelerating from 85 to 25. The aerial shots were great too. They also looked like something from a racing game's highlight footage.

I know everyone wanted the race downtown, but I think Reliant made for a better venue to the public. Hopefully it was more than enough of a success to have it again next year.

I went to the American Le Mans race Friday, and enjoyed it. I too liked the open paddocks and access to the Le Mans teams and vehicles. I had misgivings about the race in the parking lot . . . thought it might turn out to be a royal disaster like the IFEST; but it turned out great. The night time race was also cool (figuratively and literally too!).

Can someone burn me a DVD of CBS's broadcast (hint, hint texas911).

Archived