Who will be going to see the da vinci code?

I'll probably go see it...but if I hear one review about how historically accurate it is...I'm going to scream!

Yeah I was watching the documentary on the tele about all the inaccuracies of the book. I'm not sure I think it might of been a BBC or Discovery Doc. They talk to historians and look into where Brown got his ideas from by visiting the places mentioned in the book and how he took a lot out of context.

What's funny is how I run into a lot of people who get their history from movies or fictional books.

"Well, that's what the movie said"

Yeah so it has to be true <_<

I'm just not feeling the hype so I'll sit this one out. Save my money for X-Men III, Superman, or Pirates of the Caribean :D

Edited by Houstonian in Iraq

Alot of people want to believe what they see in movies, especially when it comes to religion. Movies like Stigmata, Constatine, Indiana Jones in the Last Crusade, & National Treasure draw on basic facets of history and then turn them into works of fiction. Brown did no different with DaVinci code. Too bad there are already millions that believe.

i too saw the documentary about the flaws with the davinci code. i have other movies i'd rather see. i will; however, be going to listen to kerry shook's new series "decoding" the davinci code at fellowship of the woodlands this weekend with my mom. :)

Edited by bachanon

Yeah I was watching the documentary on the tele about all the inaccuracies of the book. I'm not sure I think it might of been a BBC or Discovery Doc. They talk to historians and look into where Brown got his ideas from by visiting the places mentioned in the book and how he took a lot out of context.

What's funny is how I run into a lot of people who get their history from movies or fictional books.

"Well, that's what the movie said"

Yeah so it has to be true <_<

I'm just not feeling the hype so I'll sit this one out. Save my money for X-Men III, Superman, or Pirates of the Caribean :D

Gonna save that whole $8 huh? Open up a roth account? Invest in a mutual fund?

$8? I wish more like $16 the most I spent was in London two tickets for 21 pounds, thats a little less than $40.00, that's just the movie. I didn't realize it until after the movie. Crash was alright but $40 :o

yeah, but you were in LONDON! stop whining :D

i too saw the documentary about the flaws with the davinci code. i have other movies i'd rather see. i will; however, be going to listen to kerry shook's new series "decoding" the davinci code at fellowship of the woodlands this weekend with my mom. :)

That's how crazy the whole thing has gotten. Why would you make a documentary about all the historical inaccuracies of a work of fiction?

...and, why would you go to church for someone to TELL you it is a work of fiction?

Well, if you were already going to a church regularly and it is talked about, then that doesn't count. However, if you pass a random church, notice a sign advertising a sermon or lesson debunking the movie, and then attend - it would be the same thing.

I can't say I've seen too many churches advertising such either. I think churches are secretly delight by this because it makes people ask questions. Questions that one would usually go to a church to find.

Edited by Jeebus

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie because I enjoyed the book. However, I wasn't one of these people who got all worked up about it being blasphemous, nor was I someone who really believed it all. It's a work of fiction, meant to be entertainment. To me, it was a fun book to lose myself in, and I see the movie in the same light.

I am getting tired of all the fundamentalist churches getting up in arms about it. It's fiction people! There are more important problems in this world to concern yourselves over.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie because I enjoyed the book. However, I wasn't one of these people who got all worked up about it being blasphemous, nor was I someone who really believed it all. It's a work of fiction, meant to be entertainment. To me, it was a fun book to lose myself in, and I see the movie in the same light.

I am getting tired of all the fundamentalist churches getting up in arms about it. It's fiction people! There are more important problems in this world to concern yourselves over.

Yeah, the story of course is fiction. I think what people are concerned about is that viewers and readers will see the "historic or religious" aspects as fact. Like I mentioned before there are people who get there History and even religious references from movies. I think these Churches see it as steering people even further away from thier beliefs by misrepresenting them.

Some Church groups are using the movie to their advantage though. It brings religion back into the mainstream, it gets people talking and asking questions. There are several books out such as "The Da Vinci Hoax" that counter "historical" points brought up in the book and movie.

All this like anything will blow over

I think churches are secretly delight(ed) by this because it makes people ask questions. Questions that one would usually go to a church to find.

You know, I thought the same thing when the "Passion of Christ" movie came out. That perhaps the Catholic church would use the movie as a group discussion topic. It didn't happen. Other religious groups in my area took busloads of folks to the movie and talked about it afterward in their churches. Not the Catholics. It was as if the movie never came out. Some people at my church and at another one in the Spring/Tomball area asked if they could hold a group discussion about the movie and were told the answer was "no".

The "Da Vinci Code" is even more controversial, in that it proposes that throughout history the role of women in the church has been subjucated by man so that women are either not heard at all, or seen as totally subservient to man or discredited as whores. Because of these theories propagated by Dan Brown, that women held an equal role in the early church to man, and in some instances, a superior one, I don't think I'll be hearing of any groups forming in my church to discuss this movie. And it's not because it's a work of fiction. The church holds discussions about other works of fiction, at long as they seem to support the basic premise of their beliefs.

I remember years ago having to attend a group meeting to discuss my daughter's and her friends upcoming First Communion at our local Catholic church. At the end of the meeting with the deacon and the priest, they asked for questions from the floor, on any subject. At the time, the issue of whether our local church funds were being used to pay off victims of child-molesting priests in other parishes was a hot topic. People were saying what a tragedy it was for the victims and asking what we could do to prevent this in the future. I piped up and asked when we could start seeing priests getting married (they used to be married in the early church) or start seeing women become priests (in addition to the scandal surrounding this, we have an extreme shortage of men wanting to enter the priesthood, even in other countries). The deacon's face turned red as he stood inches from my face and bellowed down at me that "you will NEVER see a WOMAN priest in the Catholic Church!!!" The priest there with him intervened then and said in a softer tone, that in the future, he could see priests being allowed to marry, but that he too, could never envision a time when a WOMAN would be allowed to give Mass in the Catholic Church. (Talk about being put in my place!) So, yeah, this book does bring up some intriguing perspectives, especially to women in the Catholic church, like me.

You know, I thought the same thing when the "Passion of Christ" movie came out. That perhaps the Catholic church would use the movie as a group discussion topic. It didn't happen. Other religious groups in my area took busloads of folks to the movie and talked about it afterward in their churches. Not the Catholics. It was as if the movie never came out. Some people at my church and at another one in the Spring/Tomball area asked if they could hold a group discussion about the movie and were told the answer was "no".

The "Da Vinci Code" is even more controversial, in that it proposes that throughout history the role of women in the church has been subjucated by man so that women are either not heard at all, or seen as totally subservient to man or discredited as whores. Because of these theories propagated by Dan Brown, that women held an equal role in the early church to man, and in some instances, a superior one, I don't think I'll be hearing of any groups forming in my church to discuss this movie. And it's not because it's a work of fiction. The church holds discussions about other works of fiction, at long as they seem to support the basic premise of their beliefs.

I remember years ago having to attend a group meeting to discuss my daughter's and her friends upcoming First Communion at our local Catholic church. At the end of the meeting with the deacon and the priest, they asked for questions from the floor, on any subject. At the time, the issue of whether our local church funds were being used to pay off victims of child-molesting priests in other parishes was a hot topic. People were saying what a tragedy it was for the victims and asking what we could do to prevent this in the future. I piped up and asked when we could start seeing priests getting married (they used to be married in the early church) or start seeing women become priests (in addition to the scandal surrounding this, we have an extreme shortage of men wanting to enter the priesthood, even in other countries). The deacon's face turned red as he stood inches from my face and bellowed down at me that "you will NEVER see a WOMAN priest in the Catholic Church!!!" The priest there with him intervened then and said in a softer tone, that in the future, he could see priests being allowed to marry, but that he too, could never envision a time when a WOMAN would be allowed to give Mass in the Catholic Church. (Talk about being put in my place!) So, yeah, this book does bring up some intriguing perspectives, especially to women in the Catholic church, like me.

First let me say that I'm not catholic. In my job I worked very closely with the catholic church during the 90's when the child molestation cases came to the forefront of the news. The questions about when will the priest be allowed to get married came up on a regular basis. One way around the issue was to become an Episcopal priest (allowed to be married), then transfer into the Cathoic church. I know of at least 7 married catholic priests now in Texas. Pope John Paul was totally against Priest being married. There was hope that a new Pope would bring more updated views, but it seems with the choice of the new Pope, it will not happen.

My views on the Catholic church became tainted during my 10 + years of work. It made me question my faith. Then I dug deeper to find my own understandings. I stongly believe it is the Cathoic church who downplays the important roles of women in biblical times. Find a church doing a a bible study on the women in the bilble. You will find it very interesting.

I have not read the "Da Vinci Code". I understand it is fiction. I friend just lent to me two documentaries on the subject. One is from the History Channel and the other is from Highland Enterainment. Naturally my DVD player is not working, so most likely I'm going to buy a new one because I'm really intrested to know what these say.

On TV I keep hearing people say that if you are really a Christian, that you should protest this movie. Well, I am a Christian, and I'm interested in seeing the movie. I cannot help to think in works of fiction, possibly lies a bit of truth. What I'm most interested in is how the "Church" is portrayed.

Yeah, I heard a man on TV last night when I was flipping channels after "Grey's Anatomy" saying that he is going to send protest letters to Ron Howard & Tom Hanks and urged his "followers" to do the same. He believes that Dan Brown should be tried for his blasphemy and then he spouted off half a dozen scripture quotes rapid-fire that supported his position that this book "is the beginning of the end". Oh, brother! :wacko:

"seek and ye shall find." "taste and see that the lord is good."

the bible is full of exhortations for christians to check things out. see if it's real or not. i'm always dismayed when "christians" get on a soap box and deride anything that questions the validity of their faith. if it's real, it will stand the test. there is also a story in the old testament about three hebrews who were tried by fire and came out whole, unsinged. for me, it's been a metaphor for getting your hands dirty and having faith that truth will prevail (through no effort on my part btw). questions reveal truth.

these soap box christians should go see the movie, read the book and compare it to what they know/believe and research whatever questions arise. otherwise, leave it be.

and again.......it is noted as fiction.

Edited by bachanon

these soap box christians should go see the movie, read the book and compare it to what they know/believe and research whatever questions arise. otherwise, leave it be.

Amen to that. Most of the loudest protestors have never even opened the book. They know nothing about it other than what someone else told them, and that someone else probably hasn't read the book either. It's all just another sign of the prevailing ignorance that has taken over our society.

• 4 weeks later...

If you will bear with me:

I saw this movie last night. It was interesting - not because of its historical inaccuracies, but for the parts that Dan Brown got right.

Now, im not Catholic, or Eastern Orthodox, or even Protestant. [Although i was raised by a Catholic Woman whom i saw as my second grandmother] The reason why i went to go see this movie is because of the same reason the Christians went to see this movie.

Muslims regard Jesus (peace be upon him) as a true prophet. The second to last one. The point of contention between Muslims and Christians is of the divinity of Jesus (peace be upon him).

Jesus plays a BIG role in Islam. In fact, Maryam (peace be upon her) has a whole chapter dedicated to herself in the Quran. The Chapter of Maryam:

http://www.searchtruth.com/chapter_display...anslator=2&mac=

Also, Jesus will come during the end of times and slay the anti-Christ, join the Muslims, and bring the Christians into Islam. :)

Anyways, the historical accuracies are this:

-the Emperor Constantine converted to Christianity and encouraged it as the state religion (we wont guess at his intentions)

-There were numerous sects in Christianity all vying for a voice in the council of Nicea

-There were many Christians who believe that Jesus (peace be upon him) was not divine, rather a man like Moses (pbuh), David (pbuh), Noah (pbuh), and the rest.

-There was a second group of Christians who believed Jesus was the Son of God, literally - these individuals were influenced heavily by Paul of Tarsus - who btw was never a disciple of Jesus

---------

1. The first group believing Jesus (pbuh) was solely a man, with a message, was the Bishop Arius, Emperor Constantine, Emperor Constantine's Sister (who encouraged Constantine into Christianity), Eusebius.

2. The second group who claimed Jesus as part of the Trinity included Alexander, bishop of Egypt, and his disciple Athanasius.

Athanasius and Arius battled it out, and it seemed if Jesus (pbuh) was man after all, until Athanasis convinced the councils (there were more then one) to agree to Jesus' (pbuh) Divinity.

There were many gospels, but in the version of the Bible we have today, there is only a few (4).

Thats the truth as far as i know.

just in case you think im BSing:

*When Jesus Became God: The Struggle to Define Christianity during the Last Days of Rome by Richard E. Rubenstein

*Constantine and Eusebius by Timothy D. Barnes

*Arius: Heresy and Tradition by Rowan Williams

*Constantine and the Bishops: The Politics of Intolerance by H. A. Drake

*The Search for the Christian Doctrine of God: The Arian Controversy, 318-381 by R. P. C. Hanson

etc

It is a work of fiction-compelling and well written but a work of fiction.

As to nmm's post, I've never understood how three religions can claim the same god yet be so hatefull to one another. If this is what their god intended, than I want no part and will worship at the alter of Me and Mine.

B)

If you will bear with me:

I saw this movie last night. It was interesting - not because of its historical inaccuracies, but for the parts that Dan Brown got right.

Now, im not Catholic, or Eastern Orthodox, or even Protestant. [Although i was raised by a Catholic Woman whom i saw as my second grandmother] The reason why i went to go see this movie is because of the same reason the Christians went to see this movie.

Muslims regard Jesus (peace be upon him) as a true prophet. The second to last one. The point of contention between Muslims and Christians is of the divinity of Jesus (peace be upon him).

Jesus plays a BIG role in Islam. In fact, Maryam (peace be upon her) has a whole chapter dedicated to herself in the Quran. The Chapter of Maryam:

http://www.searchtruth.com/chapter_display...anslator=2&mac=

Also, Jesus will come during the end of times and slay the anti-Christ, join the Muslims, and bring the Christians into Islam. :)

Anyways, the historical accuracies are this:

-the Emperor Constantine converted to Christianity and encouraged it as the state religion (we wont guess at his intentions)

-There were numerous sects in Christianity all vying for a voice in the council of Nicea

-There were many Christians who believe that Jesus (peace be upon him) was not divine, rather a man like Moses (pbuh), David (pbuh), Noah (pbuh), and the rest.

-There was a second group of Christians who believed Jesus was the Son of God, literally - these individuals were influenced heavily by Paul of Tarsus - who btw was never a disciple of Jesus

---------

1. The first group believing Jesus (pbuh) was solely a man, with a message, was the Bishop Arius, Emperor Constantine, Emperor Constantine's Sister (who encouraged Constantine into Christianity), Eusebius.

2. The second group who claimed Jesus as part of the Trinity included Alexander, bishop of Egypt, and his disciple Athanasius.

Athanasius and Arius battled it out, and it seemed if Jesus (pbuh) was man after all, until Athanasis convinced the councils (there were more then one) to agree to Jesus' (pbuh) Divinity.

There were many gospels, but in the version of the Bible we have today, there is only a few (4).

Thats the truth as far as i know.

just in case you think im BSing:

*When Jesus Became God: The Struggle to Define Christianity during the Last Days of Rome by Richard E. Rubenstein

*Constantine and Eusebius by Timothy D. Barnes

*Arius: Heresy and Tradition by Rowan Williams

*Constantine and the Bishops: The Politics of Intolerance by H. A. Drake

*The Search for the Christian Doctrine of God: The Arian Controversy, 318-381 by R. P. C. Hanson

etc

i like you nmm. :wub:

as for you nmainguy............come on dude! the hotter it is, the more likely there is something there (errr, fire!). don't just brush it all off cuz it's ugly, or difficult. that's where the real fruit is..........behind the prickly, tough outside. the turmoil and hubbub means something is there, beneath the surface. it isn't right or left, up or down. don't write off generations of truth seekers because they disagree on semantics and heroes. faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen. man is imperfect and can never truly express or know the reality of the world we exist in. IMHO, there are ripples of bigger truths, rumblings in my psyche, things that lesser beings will squabble over (the details of) for eternity that cannot easily be answered or defined. keep an open mind despite the retards that we humans tend to be.

btw, i kinda like you too. ;)