HDTV

to get the channels. I consider myself lucky to have what I have! I have a 42" Philips Ambilight plasma with an indoor Zenith ZHDTV1 antenna. I went through 4-5 antennas in all price ranges, and this one works best for me. It has both UHF and VHF, but I just can't get the VHF to work. P***** me off that PBS, with all the good HD content, uses it. Wish I

I put one of these on my dad's TV, it's a great antennae but really only UHF.

To solve the VHF problem I hooked up a coaxial switchbox and have the Zenith on one side and another regular TV antennae on the other side. Flipping it to the standard aerial works fine for PBS, but the Zenith side is definitely better for picking up all the other UHF stations.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a 42" Philips Ambilight plasma with an indoor Zenith ZHDTV1 antenna.

I almost bought one before rolling over to the 42" Samsung. I'm just sweet on them for some reason. Damn Koreans! Anyway, how do you like yours? How is the "Ambilight" feature working out? Does the light change colors? Does its change with the programing as well, or is all manually activated. Also, what type of bulbs are needed? Just flourescent bulbs perhaps?

To ALL plasma owners here, how are your plasmas working out? Any burn-in problems yet? Mine comes with diagnostic tools to help prevent burn-in as well as "healing" tools to help eliminate any that may develop. The only problem I've had is from watching shows in 4:3. I get black shadows over either edge in 16:9 if I watch in 4:3 for a long period of time before going to 16:9. Once in 16:9 you can see an outline of where the edges of 4:3 was. The "healing" tools the TV comes with fix it though.

I almost bought one before rolling over to the 42" Samsung. I'm just sweet on them for some reason. Damn Koreans! Anyway, how do you like yours? How is the "Ambilight" feature working out? Does the light change colors? Does its change with the programing as well, or is all manually activated. Also, what type of bulbs are needed? Just flourescent bulbs perhaps?

I love the Ambilight. I thought it was a gimmick at first, but a friend bought the 50" version and after seeing it hooked up *properly* (not in a big box store) I was sold. It really enhances TV watching. It reads the colors on the screen and replicates them on the wall almost instantly. You can choose different settings (solid color, action, relaxed, movie, etc.) as well as if you want the left light to follow the left side of the screen, and the right follow the right (you have to hack into the TV software to activate that, and I have to say the effect of the lights changing asynchronously is a bit distracting). It works better on lighter walls as the light travels farther. It's a hit at parties too when I have my plasmawindow.com DVDs playing. :) I don't actually know what the bulbs are, guess I should look!

To ALL plasma owners here, how are your plasmas working out? Any burn-in problems yet? Mine comes with diagnostic tools to help prevent burn-in as well as "healing" tools to help eliminate any that may develop. The only problem I've had is from watching shows in 4:3. I get black shadows over either edge in 16:9 if I watch in 4:3 for a long period of time before going to 16:9. Once in 16:9 you can see an outline of where the edges of 4:3 was. The "healing" tools the TV comes with fix it though.

I believe the half-life of a new plasma (not the original ones) is now about the same as a CRT, though I could be mistaken. I read that the first 80 hours to keep the contrast below 50%. I keep it at about 65% now. anything higher and the colors appear too saturated.

I watch everything in Auto mode, so don't get the black bars. The only burn-in problem I have had is with the music channels on DirecTV. Freaked me out at first, but it goes away. However, now I always turn the TV off once I set the music channel. Haven't had a problem with the station logos, though I rarely have the TV glued to one particular station--mostly like to watched downloaded content streamed via my D-link 520 MediaLounge player.

I put one of these on my dad's TV, it's a great antennae but really only UHF.

To solve the VHF problem I hooked up a coaxial switchbox and have the Zenith on one side and another regular TV antennae on the other side. Flipping it to the standard aerial works fine for PBS, but the Zenith side is definitely better for picking up all the other UHF stations.

Do you have the model of the regular VHF antenna (rabbit ears) you used? If I could get PBS, I would be very happy.

I watch everything in Auto mode, so don't get the black bars. The only burn-in problem I have had is with the music channels on DirecTV. Freaked me out at first, but it goes away. However, now I always turn the TV off once I set the music channel.

I do the same with the digital music channels from TWC. I'm overly sensitive about burn-in so I'm sure its not as bad as I perceive it to be.

I just talked to DirecTV and they said that ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX are available in HD in the Houston area via the satellite, not the OTA antenna. Red, is this the same "crappy HDTV" you were talking about? Anyone have this now?

I don't have HDTV yet but I'm getting DirecTV this week. Just the DVR stuff for now. I hope to get an HDTV set by the end of the year.

I just talked to DirecTV and they said that ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX are available in HD in the Houston area via the satellite, not the OTA antenna. Red, is this the same "crappy HDTV" you were talking about? Anyone have this now?

I don't have HDTV yet but I'm getting DirecTV this week. Just the DVR stuff for now. I hope to get an HDTV set by the end of the year.

My parents have DirecTV HD with locals (not in Houston but another market) and the HD quality is good, though as good as OTA. It's still a heck of a lot better than SD, though. The key is making sure you have your home theater set up correctly. I am still amazed by the number of s-vid and rca cables plugged into the back sides of these televisions!

My parents have DirecTV HD with locals (not in Houston but another market) and the HD quality is good, though as good as OTA. It's still a heck of a lot better than SD, though. The key is making sure you have your home theater set up correctly. I am still amazed by the number of s-vid and rca cables plugged into the back sides of these televisions!

If you're trying to get the best picture and best sound you definitely shouldn't be using s-video cables and rca cables for audio. If you're using S-video cables you're definitely not getting HDTV quality video. You should be using component cables or something with a digital interface instead. for sound, you should be using an optical digital cable or coax digital cable. I'm using optical cables for my hdtv/sirius/dvd which feeds the amplifier. i have no s-video cables or rca cables plugged into my hdtv.

S-video is better than composite cables but worse than component cables for video.

Best I can tell, the locals are NOT coming in in HD. The way you get HD for a network show is to tune into the New York channels, which are up in the 80s. That is fine as long as they do not black it out. During the NCAA Basketball tournament, they blacked out the New York channels, since the games were regional. Therefore, I could not watch any B-ball in HD. :angry2:

The antenna gives a great pic, though, better than ESPN HD, for instance. It sure did blow around a lot during the storm yesterday, though. I may need a few more brackets. :o

If you're trying to get the best picture and best sound you definitely shouldn't be using s-video cables and rca cables for audio. If you're using S-video cables you're definitely not getting HDTV quality video. You should be using component cables or something with a digital interface instead. for sound, you should be using an optical digital cable or coax digital cable. I'm using optical cables for my hdtv/sirius/dvd which feeds the amplifier. i have no s-video cables or rca cables plugged into my hdtv.

S-video is better than composite cables but worse than component cables for video.

Exactly, but I don't think many people think about cables. They just take them from their old CRT/cablebox connection and use them on their $3k plasma. Then wonder what all the fuss was about with HD, LOL.

I got my cables from monoprice.com. I made the mistake a couple years ago of buying into that whole Mosnter cable cr**. What a waste of money those were!

Best I can tell, the locals are NOT coming in in HD. The way you get HD for a network show is to tune into the New York channels, which are up in the 80s. That is fine as long as they do not black it out. During the NCAA Basketball tournament, they blacked out the New York channels, since the games were regional. Therefore, I could not watch any B-ball in HD. :angry2:

The antenna gives a great pic, though, better than ESPN HD, for instance. It sure did blow around a lot during the storm yesterday, though. I may need a few more brackets. :o

I'm just going by what the DirecTV rep told me and what the website says.

direcTV local HD

So long as you're using appropriate cables (HDMI, optical) this should be the good stuff, right?

I'm just going by what the DirecTV rep told me and what the website says.

direcTV local HD

So long as you're using appropriate cables (HDMI, optical) this should be the good stuff, right?

No, I'm saying that the local channels are not HD yet. I saw the website, too, but when you turn to channel 2, 11, 13 there is no HD logo on the Satellite link. There is on the OTA though. Apparently, we are supposed to have it, but they are behind.

No, I'm saying that the local channels are not HD yet. I saw the website, too, but when you turn to channel 2, 11, 13 there is no HD logo on the Satellite link. There is on the OTA though. Apparently, we are supposed to have it, but they are behind.

Ok, I get it. My guess is that it would be forthcoming very soon, however. When the installer comes to my house, I'll ask him about it. He might not know but I'll try to get to the bottom of it. As fast as the HDTV market is growing (and because Houston is such a large city) my heart wants to believe it will be full HDTV pretty soon. But if they are mis-representing themselves on the websit and over the phone, that's certainly an issue.

My guess is that it would be forthcoming very soon, however. When the installer comes to my house, I'll ask him about it.

:lol:

Yeah, sure. Whatever you say. ;)

Sorry, they've been telling me it's on its way for a year and a half. I'd switch to Time Warner, but I'm mad at them, too. :lol:

I want to say it is an upgraded package. So you will have SD locals unless you opt up for the HD locals.

:lol:

Yeah, sure. Whatever you say. ;)

Sorry, they've been telling me it's on its way for a year and a half. I'd switch to Time Warner, but I'm mad at them, too. :lol:

I'm leaving TWC. Their rates have gone up big time in last three years. I'm getting more with SBC/DirecTV for a few dollars less per month.

I'll call the installer out on Wednesday. If he tells me the local channels are in HD, I'll refer him to Redscare. He'll be shaking for sure. I mean, if they are advertising Fox, NBC, CBS, and ABC as HD channels... and they're not, that is not cool and they should be blasted for it. The way it is presented by DirecTV, you only need an HD receiver to get the local channels. Not an upgraded package. For $9.99/month you get

TNT HD, ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, Discovery HD Theaterâ„¢, HDNet, HDNet Movies and Universal HD

Which is ok... but it's the local channels that would really matter to me. The networks are why I want HD - top shows, big sports events. I bet ESPN is probably 75% of that $9.99 charge. Still, it would be worth it. ESPN is on the verge of being a premium channel like HBO anyway. Speaking of HBO, according to DTV, if you order HBO and have a HD receiver, you can watch HBO in HD. No additional HD package necessary. I wonder if THAT'S true.

Speaking of HBO, according to DTV, if you order HBO and have a HD receiver, you can watch HBO in HD. No additional HD package necessary. I wonder if THAT'S true.

It's true with TWC. I pay ten bucks a month, get 14 HBO's - two of them in HD.

Hi all - I've been lurking the forums here for a few weeks since a recent move from Cali. As this is near to my heart after multiple conversations with DirecTV over the past couple of months, I thought I'd chime in.

Depending on your receiver, DirecTV does provide the channels listed on their website in HD via satellite. I've seen this first hand - my buddy recently made the jump to HD and his new receiver has NBC, CBS, ABC, and FOX in HD. Unfortunately, I personally have the HD receiver with Tivo, which doesn't integrate with their HD satellite broadcasts. I've had to install an OTA antenna, which is spotty at best and generally a frustrating piece of crap.

According to their customer service reps, all DirecTivo HD units will be replaced by MPEG-4 models sometime this summer (July is the lastest I've heard). Unfortunately, the new receivers won't have the Tivo interface. It will instead be a generic DirecTV DVR.

--b

Please let us know what he says. All of us DirecTV customers are curious. :D

Ok, I had DirecTV installed at my new house yesterday. The technician was really nice and worked quite hard for about 2 hours getting DVR set up in two rooms. (My builder had neglected to leave an opening in the attic to the home run in the master closet so he had to do a little drilling to get the satellite cable down into the wall.)

Anyway, I asked him about the local HDTV channels and he said yes, they do offer the the four locals in HD, ABC, FOX, NBC, and CBS. You just need to two things:

1) The HD receiver - which is about $500

2) The HD dish - which I think they swap for free

I didn't know about the "big" dish before yesterday. A standard DTV dish is 18" and the HD dish is an incredible 36" diameter. My HOA allows dishes up to one meter. And as everyone knows, 36" is less than 1 meter by about 3 inches.

RedScare - you said that you can't get the locals in HD... do you have the big dish?

And as a previous poster said, yes, direcTV no longer uses the TiVo interface. It's just a tiny gray box about 1/4 the volume of old Time Warner DVR. I would say the interface is not quite as good as TiVo but certainly better than TWC. I only used it a bit last night (I was exhausted from moving and unpacking but I simply HAD to watch Lost and the Amazing Race. The clarity is MUCH, MUCH BETTER when viewing recorded shows vs. TWC. Plus, it holds about 100 hours instead of the paltry 30 hours on my old TWC Scientifica Atlantica or whatever it was called.

I will have to think more about the differences between TiVo and DTV DVR. I had Tivo for a month about a year ago (gave up on it because of the lack of broadband setup - just stupid) and I remember Tivo being able to "grab" the start of show when returning from commercial. DTV can't do that. But with advertisers really leaning on the DVR industry, I don't know if Tivo or anyone else can do that anymore. I certainly don't miss all the "boop, beep, boop-boop" of the tivo interface. It's like a dog toy and I have enough of those in my house. I'll try to give a little more information about DTV DVR once I've played around with it a bit more.

BWSchultz, I have the elliptical dish that was required to receive HD in 2004. I receive the HD package, but not local HD. This is getting confusing, because, the more I research it, it is beginning to look like I need a new receiver to get local HD. DirecTV's website suggests that Houston DOES have local HD. However, I cannot receive it. If it is because I need the new $1000 receiver, then I have made the right call in putting up an antenna. :D

Some of the tech TV blogs I've read seem to suggest that when DirecTV put up more satellites to handle more HD, it made the pre-2005 receivers obsolete for getting local HD. I'm not sure if I am correct on this. Anyone know something along these lines?

EDIT: Jeebus, I think that $1000 box is a DVR.

You know, you guys are failing to convince me on just exactly how DirecTV is better than TWC when it comes to HD-DVR.

Without readind the whole thread ( I skimmed) I am very happy with my Dual DVR HD Reciever from Dish. I got it when the technology was way new (9 months ago) and paid alot for the set up. I got the dual reciever another dish to accomodate all the damn TV's we never watch. With installation I paid $700. I know the prices have already come down. I cannot tell you how much I love 160 hours of DVR time, granted the HD space takes up about 4 hours for every 1 hour of HD recording, but it is so worth it. I love the HDNEt channel, the Locals (which I have an antennae for) and ESPNHD. The technology is very exciting right now.

i just realized that the Astros games are broadcast in HD on TW channel 302. i had no idea. Seems that the games and the FOX Houston Sport Report post game are the only things on, otherwise its off air.

i just realized that the Astros games are broadcast in HD on TW channel 302. i had no idea. Seems that the games and the FOX Houston Sport Report post game are the only things on, otherwise its off air.

I have not found the Astros HD channel yet on Dish. ANYONE?? I would love that.

BWSchultz, I have the elliptical dish that was required to receive HD in 2004. I receive the HD package, but not local HD. This is getting confusing, because, the more I research it, it is beginning to look like I need a new receiver to get local HD. DirecTV's website suggests that Houston DOES have local HD. However, I cannot receive it. If it is because I need the new $1000 receiver, then I have made the right call in putting up an antenna. :D

Some of the tech TV blogs I've read seem to suggest that when DirecTV put up more satellites to handle more HD, it made the pre-2005 receivers obsolete for getting local HD. I'm not sure if I am correct on this. Anyone know something along these lines?

EDIT: Jeebus, I think that $1000 box is a DVR.

Red, that's very possible that you need a different dish. He just explained it to me that it's like the standard 18" dish... only twice the diameter. This may all be very new so it's possible that your dish is not compatible with their current system. I guess it's up to you if you want to pony up the $500 for the new receiver.

As I did mention, DirecTV doesn't use Tivo anymore for their DVR software. So far I like the interface just fine. It's not perfect but it is much better than TWC DVR. Wow.

Here is the Best Buy link to the DirecTV HD DVR. $500. And like I said, I "think" they will switch out your dish for free (or maybe only a service fee) but I haven't verified that.

Best Buy - DirecTV HD DVR

That's 250 GB and allows for 30 hours of HD programming. I can get about 100 hours on standard DVR but I'm not sure about the hard drive space. All I know is that the playback quality on the DirecTV DVR is far superior to the playback on TWC. TWC was more akin to a VCR recording.

As for how much DirecTV HD system would run per month.... well....

Here's what I entered on DirecTV.com

1 standard DVR

1 HD DVR

Startup costs $498

Monthly

Total Choice Plus $49.99

HBO $12

HD Programming $9.99

DVR Service 5.99

Extra box lease fee 4.99

Total: $72.96 per month

Each additional box would cost $4.99 per month. However, you only pay the DVR service fee of $5.99 once per month, regardless of how many boxes you have DVR on.

Total Choice Plus gives you 185 channels. "Total Choice" gives you 155. I don't think there is much in that 30 channel list that is even worth $5 for me. So after my intro month, I will have:

2 DVRs, HBO, Total Choice plan for $58.97.

I just got rid of TWC. I paid....

47.99 digital value package

5.00 HBO (normally 10)

7.00 DVR box

6.95 DVR service

Total: $66.94

So, once my HBO promotion ran out, I would have paid $13 more per month. With DTV I get a 2 DVRs with better quality and more recording time. That's why I switched. When I go HD, it will be a substantial up front cost but then I think it will better than TWC.

Just found this article that may clear up some of the confusion - note that the article is over a year old but seems to detail Red's problem. Also, as I said, it looks like the receiver price their quoting is old. Should be $500.

TVPredictions - DirecTV HD Local

Archived