Stunning Traffic Growth On I-45 North Freeway

I just received the 2003 TxDOT traffic statistics (it usually takes 8 months to compile it).

The big news is stunning traffic growth on I-45 North. North of Loop 610, daily traffic count reached 317,000 vehicles per day. Near Gallery Furniture, the traffic count was still above 300K, an impressive 304,000 vpd.

The North Freeway is only the second freeway in Houston (and Texas) to break the 300,000 barrier. The Southwest Freeway at Chimney Rock remains Houston's traffic champion, with 345,000 vpd, down slightly from 349,000 vpd in 2003.

To see the growth on I-45N, here are some numbers just outside the Loop

2000 259,000

2001 281,000

2002 288,000

2003 317,000

There's always a chance of a data anomaly, but assuming correct data this is a 10% growth rate from 2002 to 2003. Also impressive are the traffic counts at BW8, 309K just south of BW8 and 295K just north.

In the meantime, the underutilized Hardy Toll Road remained stagnant at 60,000 vpd just north of the Loop.

In terms of vehicles per lane per day, the North Freeway is surely now in L.A.'s league.

The west Loop south of US 290 was at 298,000 vpd. It is poised to become Houston's next 300K freeway.

That is pretty interesting. But it does sound like this could just be a data anomaly... that is a huge jump in just a year.

Also, I was surprised to hear the traffic count on the West Loop is higher north of I-10, I would think it was highest between 59 and I-10... at least that's where it's most congested.

That is pretty interesting.  But it does sound like this could just be a data anomaly... that is a huge jump in just a year. 

Also, I was surprised to hear the traffic count on the West Loop is higher north of I-10, I would think it was highest between 59 and I-10... at least that's where it's most congested.

Yes, but between 59 and 10, the west loop was still in its original configuration until the project to rebuild it started last year. Much of that congestion was related to inadequately designed ramps that caused traffic to back up onto the freeway from the frontage roads.

Between 10 and 290, the west loop was rebuilt and widened in the mid 1990s, increasing its capacity in that area. Also keep in mind that 290 dumps all of its traffic into 610 there, and much of that traffic heads south on 610 to 10, then exits to 10 to continue heading east to downtown. In that short section the freeway is practically carrying all of 290's traffic plus all of the people using the west loop to get to/from the Uptown area.

Ya, the Katy is the most congested freeway in Houston but only carries about 230,000 vehicles per day. The North Freeway is congeseted mainly because of those sprouting Northern communities like the Woodlands, Spring neighborhoods and Conroe. I can see the Eastex Freeway doing the same thing with its booming commuities like Kingwood and Atascocita.

MaxConcrete, where did you find this information at.

I ordered the data from TxDOT. It's available on CD. I'm not aware of it being available online. CALTRANS puts California traffic data online.

As you may guess, California has a very large number of freeways with >300k vpd. In fact, I think it's safe to say that they have more 300K freeways than the rest of the country (probably world) combined. They have a couple freeways very close to 400K vpd. The Katy Freeway will have the potential to exceed 400k vpd when it is done.

If people will endure that much congestion, but they are too cheap to take the Hardy Toll Road, this tells you how well the Grand Parkway is going to be able to support itself with tolls.

Actually, the Grand Parkway should be compared to the Sam Houston Tollway, not the Hardy Toll Road.

As you're surely aware, the Sam Houston tollway is congested and is a cash cow. In fact, I think TxDOT is jealous of HCTRA and now TxDOT wants its own toll cash cows.

In the short term, I think the controversial F-2 segment can support itself. It will take some time for the other segments to cover their cost via tolls. Still, I don't think TxDOT cares if a project will cover its cost. Their philosophy build now, and then start tolling existing freeways to cover the bill.

As you may guess, California has a very large number of freeways with >300k vpd. In fact, I think it's safe to say that they have more 300K freeways than the rest of the country (probably world) combined.

Maybe someday Houston can be a leader in that category as well, of cities with the most freeways over 300K vpd :)