No More Houston Bowl?

Houston will grow and prosper quite nicely with or without a bowl game. But it is another one of those many little things that are nice to have. A bowl game brings thousands of people into town who may otherwise have never thought of visiting Houston. It makes Houston a focal point of interest for many thousands more fans of each team who do not make the trip. The thousands who do make the visit will go back home and tell their friends about their experience in Houston. It seems to me that Houston is perhaps the least well known major city in America (I often called it America's best-kept secret). And more importantly (and sadly) a lot of what people think they know about Houston just isn't true. Houston should jump at a chance to show tens of thousands of out-of-towners (and indirectly, hundreds of thousands) what a great city it is.

As an avid college football fan, I can tell you that the Houston Bowl (name probably will change to reflect sponsoring), has just signed a new deal with the Big East to get their number 2 team each year. As you may know, that honor used to go to the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville.

I went to the Gator Bowl a few times (WVU grad) and I have to say, Bowl's bring a lot of money into the local economy. People travel from all over the country. Plane tickets, hotels, meals, shopping, etc.

You dont need to be a college football fan to realize how much money can be brought into the local economy.

Not to mention, if you do things right, Houston's reputation will get good grades which pulls in even more such events.

While I hope the Mountaineers continue to make it to the Sugar Bowl each year (Big East Champs), I look forward to having them play in my own backyard!

I doubt a bowl game would ever succeed long term in Houston unless it was on a higher level. The Houston Bowl has never been marketed well, the citizens aren't interested, and it's always featured ho-hum teams.

I've spent a lot of time in SA during bowl season. This town markets the bowl, markets the city, and brings people in. The Alamo Bowl features better teams but still isn't a top tier bowl. I never understood why Houston couldn't market the Houston Bowl like SA does the Alamo Bowl. They put on pep rallies on the river, sponsor golf tournaments, and hold many other events leading up to the bowl game. Houston could at least put on a Main Event for the bowl game, give the students and boosters somewhere to go...

As an avid college football fan, I can tell you that the Houston Bowl (name probably will change to reflect sponsoring), has just signed a new deal with the Big East to get their number 2 team each year. As you may know, that honor used to go to the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville.

I went to the Gator Bowl a few times (WVU grad) and I have to say, Bowl's bring a lot of money into the local economy. People travel from all over the country. Plane tickets, hotels, meals, shopping, etc.

You dont need to be a college football fan to realize how much money can be brought into the local economy.

Not to mention, if you do things right, Houston's reputation will get good grades which pulls in even more such events.

While I hope the Mountaineers continue to make it to the Sugar Bowl each year (Big East Champs), I look forward to having them play in my own backyard!

It just doesn't sound like it's as good as it sounds. 10 years ago, when I thought of a city with a college bowlgame, I thought it was a reason to watch. I used to be a fan of watching the Cotton Bowl.

Now, I just can't see what is so prestigous if you have the GalleryFurniture.com Bowl trophy in your case, especially when with a million dollars, you can host one yourself. I think they're even playing bowl games in Baseball stadiums. That's cool, until U realize that they are only there for the money.

I just can't see how it helps the economy if you host a bowl game, and nobody's excited because there were already 3 bowls being played earlier that day, 10 bowls played earlier that week, and 14 more being played the next week, including the national championship. My hometown is Houston, but if my team were playing in the Cotton Bowl, I'd attend. If they were playing at the EV1.net Bowl, why would I get all excited over that?

(Warning: Wishful thinking)

I think they should do more than just have a playoff system. They should eliminate all but FIFTEEN bowl sites, and have them change each year. Have the top 16 teams from each conference compete. Have eight cities for the 1st round, four different ones for the 2nd, two for the final four, and the National Championship Game. Have one school walk away with four bowl championships, including the national title. I think more people would watch the bowls in that case.

So is this thread about the Houston Bowl or the BCS system?

Seems pointless to try and lump both issues into one discussion.

If you arent a college football fan, then bowl games wont make sense. If I went to UH for undergrad, I probably wouldnt follow my team anymore. However, many people go to football schools and follow their team well past the point of graduation.

I went to the Sugar Bowl this year in the Georgia Dome. That place was PACKED. I dont even remember how many were in attendance, but there wasnt an empty seat in the house.

Bringing the number 2 team from the Big East will certainly raise the numbers from the past few years.

So is this thread about the Houston Bowl or the BCS system?

Seems pointless to try and lump both issues into one discussion.

It kinda is about both. The idea of the thread is to ask how the Houston Bowl was relevant and a reason why 75,000 should pack it, even though that hasn't happened. And why Houston is one of many cities that has a bowl that will probably never host a National Championship, and if Houston needs a bowl like that or not

If you arent a college football fan, then bowl games wont make sense. If I went to UH for undergrad, I probably wouldnt follow my team anymore. However, many people go to football schools and follow their team well past the point of graduation.

I went to the Sugar Bowl this year in the Georgia Dome. That place was PACKED. I dont even remember how many were in attendance, but there wasnt an empty seat in the house.

Bringing the number 2 team from the Big East will certainly raise the numbers from the past few years.

But so many bowls are not even selling out. And some of the bowl names are all corporate and stupid. Houston Bowl makes sense. GalleryFurniture.com bowl doesn't. I'm not inclined to by a Continental Tire because they sponsor a bowl name. College Football is turning into a joke when it comes to bowl-season.

The Big East will increase attendance at the Houston Bowl?

NOT.

The only team left in the Big East that travels well is West Virginia. Louisville has some potential, but not unless they are highly rated. Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, Cincy, and South Florida would bring ZERO fans.

Reiterating what coog said, today's Chronicle states, that the Houston Bowl has yet to pay last years teams. If this is true and I'm assuming it is, How could they have possibly landed the number two Big East boys?

Maybe the better question is why do they want to pursue it? If they can't land a bowl that matters (BCS), and it isn't traditional like the Cotton Bowl, then what's the point?

Reiterating what coog said, today's Chronicle states, that the Houston Bowl has yet to pay last years teams. If this is true and I'm assuming it is, How could they have possibly landed the number two Big East boys?

Easy, Big East football is a joke. Half of the conference doesn't even field a 1-A football team. Their glory comes with Basketball.

I think the Houston Bowl should be allowed to die along with about 15 others. I am a rabid College Football fan, but with all the emphasis on the BCS, the second-tier bowls no longer have appeal unless you are directly tied to the teams involved.

• The title was changed to No More Houston Bowl?