Houston Olympic Bid

• 4 months later...
No other city realistically had a shot going up against NY after 9/11.  The "sympathy factor" was too strong.

I agree with ya, but yo, does ANYONE here really think New York was a better choice for the Olympics than Houston? If New York wins, they'll do so poorly that America wouldn't get another Olympics for a LOOOOOONG time!!!! No offense, Big Apple.

For Houston to host the Olympics, the city needs one thing: become a travel destination. There's already many beautiful things in Houston, but what do we have that would make people wanna vacation here instead of Las Vegas, Miami, (sigh) New York, Athens, or any other World Class city? Once we offer the world a reason to party in Houston on a regular basis, we get the Olympics hands down.

We got the architecture, but we need the name power as a city. Make it happen, and we'll easily be the greatest city in the world.

I doubt Houston will ever host the Olympics in the foreseeable future, but that's not a bad thing. I don't think one-shot deals like that really do a lot to enhance image in the long run. There's a lot more bang for the buck in improving the basics - making the place attractive, good schools, air quality, transportation, arts, etc. I don't think hosting the Olympics did a lot for Atlanta's image over time. Plus hosting the Olympics is an enormous financial drain, and perhaps the money could be better spent.

In my opinion, Houston is more on par with Dallas, Atlanta, Denver, and Phoenix etc. It may not be NY or Boston, but it is certainly not Detroit either.

By the way, just so that I am clear, I am not directing this post at you, 27, but to anyone who thinks Houston and Detroit are alike. On Fodor's forum, a poster asked what were good places to visit in Texas. Some jerk responded and listed every hell hole in the state as a good place to visit and then mentioned in all caps "Avoid Houston; it is worst than Detroit!" Luckily, I was there to shut her up for good.

Honestly, I seriously think Fodor's hates Texas..or am i thinking of Frommer's? :huh:

About your opinion..

These are the first tier GWC cities... Amsterdam, Boston, Caracas, Dallas, D

I can see what some of you mean about Houston not being regarded in the top tier of world cities--but neither was Atlanta.

As much as I would love to see the Olympics here, I don't think they are the be all-end all. Plus, I don't think that we'll see the Games before Toronto does. For some reason, that city keeps getting skipped over--every time it applies. Istanbul is another place that keeps getting skipped over (I would love to see the games in that place).

Regarding the size of Reliant stadium for an Olympic Stadium--I think that New York's new stadium will be roughly the size of Reliant (70-75,000 seats), so I don't see that as much of an issue.

Regarding the IOC not looking at "smaller" cities after Atlanta, Houston and Athens are the same size, IIRC.

With that being said, I think that Houston will be in a great position to get the Olympics for say...2032 or 2040. The area will be home to about 8 million people and will be regarded among the great cities of the world, IMHO. I also think that the area will be twice as dense with a full transportation network in place, with the completion of the freeways (including Grand Parkway), all the rail systems, and American high speed rail. I also think that Houston's multiculturalism will be even more intense and hopefully knitted into the area better.

New York isn't a bad city, but their bid flat out sucks. Only thing they have to ofer the Olympics are corporate sponsors. The Olympics Stadium, for example, will cost their city 1.8 BILLION dollars to build. Does New York REALLY believe they will profit over 2 billion that easily? And excluding that, it will cost 700 MILLION just to buy the land it sits on. AND Madison Square Gargen is planning on sueing the city for that land, so that means a settlement. So let's see, that will cost New York a MINIMUM of 2.5 BILLION dollars for JUST THE OLYMPIC STADIUM!!! And that doesn't even include the rest of the venues that need to be built or renovated. Did the US Olympic commitee REALLY think New York had a better chance than Houston of beating London or Paris for the Olympics, when the world already recognizes us as the ONLY CITY IN THE WORLD WITH MULTIPLE RETRACTABLE ROOF STADIUMS???!!!

So, um, can someone here try to figure out how much Houston would have had to spend on the Olympics if we hosted it in 2012? We had most of the venues already, true. So, transportation is needed. True. But the public transit system would have been built anyway regardless of the Games or not, so that doesn't count. So what would that leave us? Olympic village in U of H? They NEEDED dorms anyway!! All we'd need is money to clean out Buffalo Bayou and purify our water and air. Hmm, so exactly HOW could Houston or the Olympics lose money for hosting it here? And why would the Olympic Commitee think New York's name would sell itself as the Olympic Destination? The World commitee's already been there. They know how compact New York is already.

Am I right, or am I right? Houston rules. Damn ignorant corporate decisions. And screw Enron. Yeah, I said it. Bring it on, Ken Lay! Say hi to Jackson in jail for me. GRRRRR!!!

On the note of dirty air--

Beijing is notorious for its dirty, smoggy air. But that didn't stop the IOC from giving them the Games. Throw in the fact that Beijing's weather is pretty crazy 10-11 months out of the year and that argument against Houston flies out the window as well.

I think that the no-go on Houston (or even Dallas) games was more a subjective decision than an objective one.

Mentioning Dallas--does anyone think that Houston's bid would have been improved if Dallas wasn't competing for the same Games? It'd be similar to Grenoble and Paris competing for the same Games in France (same size territory).

Mentioning Dallas--does anyone think that Houston's bid would have been improved if Dallas wasn't competing for the same Games?  It'd be similar to Grenoble and Paris competing for the same Games in France (same size territory).

Fortunately for us, we were not hampered at all by Dallas's bid. (I know Dallas was, though). If both cities made it to the semi-finals, we would have had an issue. Also to clarify, Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta has been the #2 airport long before the '96 games, which actually was one of Atl's selling points for the games. However, 713 makes a valid point. This IS a great opportunity to showcase your city to the world, and give them a reason to wanna come back. Investment is the reason why Houston NEEDS some huge event like the Olympics; to give the world a reason to have to come.

Fortunately for us, we were not hampered at all by Dallas's bid. (I know Dallas was, though). If both cities made it to the semi-finals, we would have had an issue. Also to clarify, Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta has been the #2 airport long before the '96 games, which actually was one of Atl's selling points for the games. However, 713 makes a valid point. This IS a great opportunity to showcase your city to the world, and give them a reason to wanna come back. Investment is the reason why Houston NEEDS some huge event like the Olympics; to give the world a reason to have to come.

Thanks for the correction. I guess what I should have said was Hartsfield has consistently maintained its position as one of the top two U.S. airports since the Olympics (I think it even held the #1 spot a couple of years ago). DJ V, do you think that is an accurate statement? . . I'm too lazy to research it tonight.

Thanks for the correction.  I guess what I should have said was Hartsfield has consistently maintained its position as one of the top two U.S. airports since the Olympics (I think it even held the #1 spot a couple of years ago).  DJ V, do you think that is an accurate statement? . . I'm too lazy to research it tonight.

I would say that is a VERY accurate statement. i don't think that Airport would have stayed in the top 2 very long if it didn't host the Olympics. Imagine, however, how much business Bush Intercontinental would get with an event that big.

On a side note, MAD respect to all the volunteers and news people that greeted me at Bush Intercontenental for last year's Super Bowl. You made Houston look great, the airport was the most beautiful I've ever seen in America hands down, and thanks for taking your time to greet everybody.

You see, you all prove another valid point--Atlanta was a "made" city that is still very new in comparison to other modern Olympic cities. With that in mind, Houston is a "made" city also. On paper, I think that Houston was just as good as any other city bidding for the Olympics. It was just an arbitrary decision, IMO, that put Houston out. The fact that Houston isn't a big of a name is just garbage. I know these were winter cities, but who the heck knows Lillehamer? Nagano? Turin? I didn't know that Turin was in Italy until I looked for it myself.

Some people may also say that North America may not get more games soon after 2012 if New York gets them--however, look at the winter games--Lake Placid in 1980, Calgary in 1988, Salt Lake City in 2002, and Vancouver in 2010. Four cities in thirty years.

Summer Games--Montreal in 1976, LA in 1984, Atlanta in 1996, and then...maybe NYC in 2012? Probably not.

Lastly, some say that "North America has already had the Games too often, it's time for others to be able to do showcase themselves, etc." What, in Europe? I say that if that argument is used against North America, then it should be used FOR Africa and Asia and South America. Beijing is a good start, but what about Shanghai, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Istanbul, Tel Aviv, Mumbai? Or how about Cairo, Johannesburg, or Nairobi? Let's not forget Rio, Buenos Aires, and Santiago (which looks like an absolutely BEAUTIFUL city).

Everyone would love to see the Olympics here in Houston including me, but let's me realist about it. Houston will never see Olympics, if they do I'll be an old ass man.

The only reason Houston was awarded the Super Bowl, cause of a new stadium, and a new franchise team. Now watch next month (May) when they announce the winner for the 2009 Super Bowl between Atlanta and Houston, and I bet you Atlanta will win.

I know it seems off topic, but I'm just giving you a different reason how Houston came in contact with a major sporting event. The way they got the Super Bowl here in 2004, is the same way they must attract the Olympics.

Thanks for the correction.  I guess what I should have said was Hartsfield has consistently maintained its position as one of the top two U.S. airports since the Olympics (I think it even held the #1 spot a couple of years ago).  DJ V, do you think that is an accurate statement? . . I'm too lazy to research it tonight.

It would be awfully difficult to make a convincing case that Atlanta has the second busiest airport because of the Olympics (actually in numbers of passengers, Atlanta has been the busiest airport for some years now). And as far as the Olympics turning it into a "world-class" city, I would think we would need to look at the airport's international traffic. In that category, Atlanta and George Bush Intercontinental are neck and neck for the no. 7 ranking in the U.S. Again, it would be pretty hard to make a convincing case that Atlanta's position is due to the Olympics.

Archived