Houston Olympic Bid

If Houston were to bid for the Olympics again, what should they change or make better? It is obvious why we didn't get it the first time, but the city has changed so much in the past two years, and it is going to get even better.

What would you like to see happen? For example, with the spoting venues, downtown, airport, transportation, street beautification, etc.

Come on now. Billboards in reliant stadium? Those are merly adverstiment, sponsers. y'all just picking things out in the air now. Give it a rest people.

I just thought it looked kind of tacky for an olympic stadium. Especially in the opening and closing ceremonies. Maybe they will learn how to hide it when such of a ceremony comes to the city.

35319467.jpg

Athens has the right idea.

32761640.jpg

They would actually build a new stadium, as they have more than 100,000 people attending, and Relaint only has room for about 80,000+/-.

There is alot of space for an olympic park, though.

A long as we dont go bust like Athens.

express bus or train service to/from the airports.  light rail connecting downtown and galleria.  a natatorium.  continued planting and maintenance of existing greenspace.

For us idjits, what's a natatorium? Is that where they slaughter microscopic farm animals?

They would actually build a new stadium.

Really. Were they going to do that for 2012? If they did build a new stadium, it would be a tough decision to put it in downtown or Reliant Park. Downtown is where all the other sporting venues are, but Reliant Park is where the Astrodome is located. I say that because they were going to convert the dome into a track and field venue. It would also be good in Reliant Park, because there is more room to build an olympic park, plus they have the Reliant Center for conventions.

If they did build a new olympic stadium, that would make Reliant seem like a big waste. They will probably forget about Reliant and start having more activity in the new venue.

According to the news stories, Houston did very well in the areas of facilities and venues.  Apparently we lost big time due to ugliness.  If the city decides to bid again, the best strategy might be to make the routes from the airport beautiful.

From downtown to the beltway on I-45 and from downtown to the beltway on 59, are very unattractive. Nothing but randown gas stations, cheap motels, auto mechanic shops, and tacky malls.

I-45 closer to downtown is starting to shape up with all the greenery.

35336714.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
More green space, more transit, more density.

In reality, all we really need to do is implement Central Houston's plan for downtown. All great cities have great central gathering points. A lot can be overlooked if downtown is shiny and beautiful.

More density? I guess thats why Salt Lake City was picked...

From downtown to the beltway on I-45 and from downtown to the beltway on 59, are very unattractive.  Nothing but randown gas stations, cheap motels, auto mechanic shops, and tacky malls.

I-45 closer to downtown is starting to shape up with all the greenery.

35336714.jpg

But thats inbetween the 610 and I-10... Everything North of 610 is the Deadzone, all the way threw Greenspoint and some of Spring...

If Reliant Stadium were to be used for Olympic events, all advertisement would be removed unless the advertiser is an official sponsor of the Olympics.

For example, the Gallery Furniture sign would have to come down unless Mac pays to be the "Official Annoying Commercial of the Olympics"!

Houston will eventually get the olympics. The question is when. Once we get "attractive enough", we will get it. The superbowl, and all of the stuff we had this year may help the image along a bit.

When bidding for the last olympics (year?) that Houston lost (I think it was right before I move here), were there concept scetches and what not available to the public? Or a game plan of where to place the Olympic village & all the sporting venues?

And for 2012 (correct year?) what' the current plan? Is there a website out there?

Glen

Houston's rejected bid was for the 2012 games. The plans were made public. Most of the activity would have been around Astroworld, with the Astrodome coverted to a track and field venue. The Olympic Village would have been along Scott in the 3rd Ward I think. You can probably still find more detail on the plans.

Not to be contrary, but I really doubt Houston will ever host the Olympics. Every year a lot more well-known larger cities compete, and I thought the IOC wanted to steer away from smaller cities after Atlanta.

Nothing's going to improve our image more than a better looking city. Houston doesn't need publicity to prove that it's a good host city, it needs real, tangible elements. These are things the city wants to improve anyway. Planting trees along the highways is a start. An improved transit infrastructure, continued revitalization of the central city, a cleaner Buffalo Bayou and improved surrounding park space, and the removal of billboards are all planned. Once these have really taken form, not only will the Olympics Committee want to reconsider Houston, many businesses, travelers, and residents will as well.

Perhaps the whole question of facilities, attractiveness, etc. is moot.

Does anyone recall that Salt Lake City got the Olympic nod because the officials were a bunch of corrupt crooks? And has that changed?

^Werent the SLC Olympic 'crooks' just the ones dumb enough to get caught? I remember hearing/reading some kind of historical bidding overview which made a claim that bribs had always been part of the process, just not publically acknowledged in this country. General consipracy stuff, but it was believable.

The state should be a more supportive partener to the cities courting the Olympics. I think both Houston and Fort Worth/Dallas (haha) have a good chance to host one day, and the state needs to do everything it can to help both cities be more competitive during the bidding process.

I missed most of the drama with the 2012 hosting competition - which city got that gold metal? Is there a thread here with details and commentary, one that includes the 'official' reason why Houston wasnt selected (I'm guessing that thread may have been lost eariler this year?).

The American entry for 2012 is NYC. A final decision will be made shortly. Paris is considered the favorite. Houston was one of four US runners-up. They don't give out official reasons why contestant cities lose, although again, the Chronicle mentioned that Houston lost due to ugliness. In the Houston proposal most of the venues would have been air conditioned, but I still suppose air quality and the weather here in August had something to do with it. Given the enormous cost of hosting the Olympics, it may not be a bad thing to lose.

Archived