Taco Trailers

If you don't see a water hose/water hookup running to those trailers you should STAY FAR AWAY FROM THEM!! Water is essential to running any type of restaurant, whether it's a sit down restaurant or food trailer. Without water, where do they wash their hands? Granted, they should also have a permit to run their taco stand and should have been inspected by the city before operating. Personally, I don't go anywhere near those roach coaches. I mean, some restaurants aren't any better, but why risk it?

If you don't see a water hose/water hookup running to those trailers you should STAY FAR AWAY FROM THEM!!

Darn......That's a good point....!!! I'll pay more attention to the water supply to those trailers.

I normally eat the "pastor" tacos from Aranda's but have never tried those at the Taco Trailers, when I drive around I always see the trailers packed with people eating tacos.

One morning on KHOU traffic guy Darby Douglas called one a "roach coach."

He got a "racial sensitivity meeting" for that one.

Funny. that's what Councilman Roach called his re-election vehicle when the entire family climbed in. :lol:

One of the best ones I've had was on Rampart near Glenmont. Right in front of the "Paleteria". Used to just buy the meat to mix with my other stuff.

Yum! :)

There is another Off Hempstead highway near Kempwood in a vacant lot just north of the Big State pawn. They also maked damned good tacos. :)

Ask 2112. He talked about a good one on Edgebrook.

2112 was describing El Taconmadre on Edgebrook...I still haven't eaten there, but I noticed last weekend that it's also now advertising that it's the home of the "Crazyburger!" That's on the Taconmadre building...apparently there's also a Taconmadre school bus parked somewhere around the area for your "taco trailer" needs.

Sometime soon I need to stop by Taconmadre, as well as Gorditas Aquascalientes, right across the street. The Gorditas Aquascalientes used to be the old Longhorn Cafe (I think that's what it was called) about 20 years ago.

There is a small trailer just north of I-10 on Shepherd Drive called Taqueria Anabelle. It's in the parking lot of the junkyard on the east side of Shepherd.

They make the tortillas by hand. The fajita taco and the chicken taco are great. I'm neutral on barbacoa in general and don't like chicharron tacos at all. I think the fajita taco they make is hard to beat and with the handmade tortilla, it's always toasty hot. $4.00 gets you two tacos and a coke. I don't think you can supersize but I'll ask tomorrow.

If you're worried about water hookups, washed hands, permits, etc., eat at Chili's.

My dad hates those taco trucks. Why? Because why my dad is state, federal and professionally and has a in place business and while regulated these taco trucks may not be. Where do they wash their hands? (nearest gas station?) and while my dad pays so much money to keep his food business in tip top shape and has every regulator breathing down his neck to make sure he is doing things correctly. One fault and my dad can get shut down. however how do you know how well the food in these taco trailers are handled?

I think the main thing is all about the public and health. I would def. be worried about water hookups, washed hands and permits because its the law. If people in the food business can't handle these simple tasks, more like get OUT of the food business and stop endangering the public's health. But yet, its more of a "eat at your own risk"

Taconmadre on Edgebrook is pretty good. What is really good is the barbacoa. The pastor and trompo is great too. They ahve been around since at least 2001, when I discovered the place. They have moved around over the years but ahve stayed on Edgebrook, between 45 and hwy 3. At thier current corner, across Aguascalientes(also a good restuarant), they have remained for at least a year. I was there Saturday at 3:00am. They are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

But my favorite, hands down, is Taqueria Mexicanos on Harrisburg about half a mile east of Lockwood. Going east on Harrisburg, look for the "El Pozo" car wash on the right, and Taqueria Mexicanos is right across the street on the left side of Harrisburg. They have awesome fajita tacos. Ask for "everything" on it on corn tortiallas, and put the green sauce over it. Also, on weekends they have beens ala charra, also pretty far out. They close between 11:00am and midnight. Closed on Wednesdays.

For breakfast tacos, I like this other place also on Harrisburg farther east, right before Harrisburg merges with Navigation and Broadway. It is called Taqueria Alacran. It looks like a tiny corner store next to a car wash, right across the street from the HFD Hazmat station. But inside this "store", there is a kitchen with a stainless steel bar. Man, they make the corn tortiallas right in front of you when you order it, and no sooner. It's rare to find fresh corn tortillas, and this place has it. It is like walking in to someones house and sitting by the kitchen. Thier Machecada, papas con huego, and barbacoa are great in the morning. I hear the menudo is good too but I have not tried it yet.

I haven't been to this one in a long time, but all of my Hispanic friends swear that it's the best. Taco Naso(sp) on Fulton, just south of Cavalcade. From I-45 and Cavalcade, go east, take a right on Fulton, and it's about 1 block on the right hand side, near a tire store. They do have good tacos de pastor.

If you think a bathroom sink in the near vicinity is the key to health you are smoking a little too much.

If the food is steaming hot you are usually safe. If the food is rancid you would smell it no matter how much spice is used. If you're worried, stay away from the onions and cilantro. IMO, the best sign of a good taco stand is a thriving business. Never walk up to an empty taco stand. Nothing hurts a taco stand more than a coupla people getting sick and telling their friends about it, and if the stand is empty when it shouldn't be it means people are avoiding it like the plague, and so should you.

Not a taco trailer, but two great places for tacos are a little place on the SE corner of Shepherd and Feagan, and a place on the SE corner of Shepherd and 14th. I can't remember the name of either place, but the first one is a lunch only place, and the second is a small meat market and grocery store as well.

I can't remember the name of either place, but the first one is a lunch only place, and the second is a small meat market and grocery store as well.

The meat market is La Michoacana. If you want good marinated fajita meat, there's is very good. We buy from them frequently. Get the tortillas from La Espiga del Oro, the tortilla factory on 15th, one block east of Shepherd. You can buy them fresh from the oven 24/7.

I've eaten at numerous taco trailers in Houston, sidewalk taco vendors in Mexico, wandering tamale vendors on foot and guys selling homemade tacos out of their cars in Houston. I've always enjoyed the meal and never once had food poisoning.

The only time in my life I've had what I would consider food poisoning (including fever, the shakes and severe gastrointestinal distress) was from drinking a can of Jumex fruit juice.

I think some of the best cheap meals I've ever had are from these vendors. I plan to continue to patronize these places as long as they stay in business.

If you think a bathroom sink in the near vicinity is the key to health you are smoking a little too much.

Actually, frequent hand washing is the number one most effective way to cut down on food-transmitted diseases. That's why you always see "Employees must wash hands before returning to work" signs in the bathrooms of restaurants. It really makes a difference.

One morning on KHOU traffic guy Darby Douglas called one a "roach coach."

He got a "racial sensitivity meeting" for that one.

Would love to have sat in on that meeting.

"Roach coach" is a colloquialism from way, WAY back. Decades ago my dad mentioned that roach coaches would show up at constructions sites at lunchtime. This was in New York State. No ethnic, cultural or racial implications were associated with the term; just cheap food and dubious hygiene.

So what's the problem - did Darby neglect to translate?

Actually, frequent hand washing is the number one most effective way to cut down on food-transmitted diseases. That's why you always see "Employees must wash hands before returning to work" signs in the bathrooms of restaurants. It really makes a difference.

Sorry Editor, you're absolutely right. About 4 careers ago I was a restaurant manager and had to carry the City of Houston Food Manager Certificate card, so I am well-versed in food and hygiene. I didn't mean to say that washing hands didn't help, I meant to imply that just because a sink is nearby doesn't mean employees are using it.

By the way, one of my favorite lessons that came out of the food managers class was during the roach section when the teacher let us know that a favorite treat for roaches is toothpaste.....

Think about it.......

To this day my toothbrush lives in a plastic container when not in use.

Do employees use a paper towel to open the restroom door with after washing their hands? If not, they're just contaminating their hands all over again! This is one of my biggest peeves. I can't stand, for instance, whe you're out to dinner and someone's cutting the bread or picking through the bowl of tortilla chips, touching things and you ask if they washed their hands and they reply, "I washed before I left the house". No, fool! Go wash your hands! You touched doorknobs, the back of the chair, menu, salt shakers, etc, between the time of the hand washing and touching the food. If a person isn't as big as a germaphobe as I am, then they're not enough of a germaphobe. If you're going to be a phobe about something, germs is the best thing to be a phobe about. I can't stand touching hardly anything in public. I usually let someone else open a public door for me and I take Germ-X everywhere I go. My skin crawls if I see someone touching food without having washed their hands beforehand. The self-serve buffets where you have to touch the serving untensils - that's madness.

I can't stand touching hardly anything in public.

um...a phobia is an irrational fear. Expecting people to comply with your irrational fear of germs isn't likely to happen anywhere. Your immune system functions better if regularly exposed to low-virulence organisms. I can't figure out if the recent trend towards anti-bacterial everything is because of an aggressive marketing campaign by the manufacturers or a reflection of the poor science education in our schools, but if you have studies demonstrating disease transmission (not the presence of a viron, but actual symptoms) by touching doorknobs, I'd love to see it.

Do employees use a paper towel to open the restroom door with after washing their hands? If not, they're just contaminating their hands all over again! This is one of my biggest peeves. I can't stand, for instance, whe you're out to dinner and someone's cutting the bread or picking through the bowl of tortilla chips, touching things and you ask if they washed their hands and they reply, "I washed before I left the house". No, fool! Go wash your hands! You touched doorknobs, the back of the chair, menu, salt shakers, etc, between the time of the hand washing and touching the food. If a person isn't as big as a germaphobe as I am, then they're not enough of a germaphobe. If you're going to be a phobe about something, germs is the best thing to be a phobe about. I can't stand touching hardly anything in public. I usually let someone else open a public door for me and I take Germ-X everywhere I go. My skin crawls if I see someone touching food without having washed their hands beforehand. The self-serve buffets where you have to touch the serving untensils - that's madness.

Hmmm....Ever watch "Monk"? ^_^

It makes me feel better. I know you can become immune to the waterless hand soaps if they even really work that well in the first place. I know this. I realize most of it is in my head, but it's how I am. I've had issues with germs since I was a little kid. Even then I would never drink after people.

To feel that cold wetness on my hands after I touch something that I didn't want to touch in the first place, and so smell that clean scent afterwards, I'm content and I can go about my day. I have a near bionic immune system anyway. I'm hardly ever sick.

west20th:

Hmmm....Ever watch "Monk"?

No, but I've heard about it.

Archived