Taco Trailers

If you have a near-bionic immune system, than what are you worried about?

You know, many immunologists abhor the idea of anti-bacterial soaps and hand creams. There's also evidence out there that the reason so many more kids have allergies and asthma these days is because we keep them too clean as they grow up and they don't get acclimated to enough germs. It's all about acclimation, bacteria was here long before humans and they will be here long after we're gone, and there are a whole lot more of them than us.

I'm not worried about anything. It's just the whole idea of germs. I know I'm not going to die by touching a doorknob and putting my fingers in my mouth. I can either clean my hands or not clean my hands. I'd rather clean them, get it out of the way, put myself to ease and go about my business.

My wife thinks I'm crazy, but this is why I don't worry about eating something I've dropped on the floor (10-second rule, of course). I also eat food that's been sitting out unrefrigerated for longer than it should. I figure these things help boost my immune system. I don't know if I have an iron stomach because I do these things, or if I can do these things because I have an iron stomach.

Truth be told, the taco trucks I've eaten at are clean, well-run establishments. They're cleaner than my kitchen. And if I walked up to one that wasn't, I would walk away. The nice thing about taco trucks is that you actually see your food being prepared, as well as the environment it's being prepared in. You don't get that in 99% of sit-down restaurants.

I'm not worried about anything. It's just the whole idea of germs. I know I'm not going to die by touching a doorknob and putting my fingers in my mouth. I can either clean my hands or not clean my hands. I'd rather clean them, get it out of the way, put myself to ease and go about my business.

I just remembered...I saw something on TV not too long ago, where some investigative reporters took swabs of toilet seats, restroom doorknobs, and bathroom faucet handles, as well as swabs from peoples' faces and hands.

Guess what...toilet seats and doorknobs are much cleaner than what's on your face. Since toilet seats and doorknobs are generally dry, they are not conducive to keeping germs alive. Your face on the other hand, is a perfect incubator for all kinds of bacteria and stuff.

• The title was changed to Taco Trailers

Archived