Couric joining the CBS Evening News

Will she report the news seated on couch with her legs crossed?

This has the be the worse CBS move since Connie Chung.

Couric has zero news credibility.

I was surprised that CBS even offered Couric the job simply because Bob Schiffer seemed to be doing a great job, and I think the CBS evening ratings were rising as well.

Will she report the news seated on couch with her legs crossed?

This has the be the worse CBS move since Connie Chung.

Couric has zero news credibility.

We want Greta Van Sustran!!!. Or maybe that drag-queen who is on MSNBC evenings, What is her name? And don't forget Nancy Grace. Never seen her myself but I know she is a fave of MC's. :D

I never watch CBS news, though I do like Bob Schieffer. Ah well. Katie Couric is a network hack. She's annoying and a wanna-be journalist.

Actually she is a journalist. After her husband died of colon cancer and she went very public with investigative reports in addition to having her own colonoscopy shown on nation-wide TV, colonoscopys rose by over 20%. If informing the public with the facts is the job of a journalist, then she has clearly passed the test. Considering she lost her children's father in addition to her husband and put that loss to the benefit of others, definatly rules her out of the hack class you so distastefully place her in.

Actually she is a journalist. After her husband died of colon cancer and she went very public with investigative reports in addition to having her own colonoscopy shown on nation-wide TV, colonoscopys rose by over 20%. If informing the public with the facts is the job of a journalist, then she has clearly passed the test. Considering she lost her children's father in addition to her husband and put that loss to the benefit of others, definatly rules her out of the hack class you so distastefully place her in.

I think Couric and Lauer were perfect for the Today show format. And I think she has journalistic experience. But I really don't understand how anyone including CBS could say that she's better and more qualified for the evening news job than Bob Shieffer. What's he going to do now? Host ABC World News? No. Why? Because I guess to the networks, experiences does not mean quality and ratings.

Wasn't Carrot Top a candidate? :)

Seriously, I think you couldn't be more wrong. Rather, Jennings, and Brokaw were huge household names.

You're right, he was. Unfortunately, he had prior commitments :D

I'm not in the business but I believe that a news director determines the direction and content of the newscast. While Rather, Jennings and Brokaw all did great work with reporters in the field, today's anchors pretty much do the Ted Baxter thing and read it off a teleprompter. Ever see Elizabeth Vargas?

You're right, he was. Unfortunately, he had prior commitments :D

I'm not in the business but I believe that a news director determines the direction and content of the newscast. While Rather, Jennings and Brokaw all did great work with reporters in the field, today's anchors pretty much do the Ted Baxter thing and read it off a teleprompter. Ever see Elizabeth Vargas?

To be honesty, I haven't watched World News Tonight since Jennings left :(

But I really don't understand how anyone including CBS could say that she's better and more qualified for the evening news job than Bob Shieffer.

Except for Bob Shieffer. She was his candidate for his own replacement. He doesn't want the job. He wants to continue with Face the Nation and fishing.

B)

Actually she is a journalist.

So then what's the difference between a journalist and a reporter?

I guess a journalist just reports on known facts, while a reporter gets the scoop on new things. Reporting on my colon is like a high school term paper.

Couric is no reporter.

Considering she lost her children's father in addition to her husband and put that loss to the benefit of others, definatly rules her out of the hack class you so distastefully place her in.

I guess you never watched an episode of the Today show. She was either directed to act like an idiot, or it was all natural. Either way, she was an idiot.

I gave up on network news when the big three left. If I watch anything newsie at that time of the day, it's Jim Lehrer.

Yep he's good. I know everyone thinks PBS has a liberal bias but his news show seems to be the most unbiased of all. The BBC also is very unbiased but their stories sometimes are a bit obscure for me. I love the way they phrase some things though. They were interviewing an American general about Iraq shooting at US planes patrolling the no fly zone. The BBC reporter asks him. "Don't you think Saddam is just tweaking your tail?" The silence from the general was hilarious. He didn't have a clue how to answer that.

Yep he's good. I know everyone thinks PBS has a liberal bias but his news show seems to be the most unbiased of all. The BBC also is very unbiased but their stories sometimes are a bit obscure for me. I love the way they phrase some things though. They were interviewing an American general about Iraq shooting at US planes patrolling the no fly zone. The BBC reporter asks him. "Don't you think Saddam is just tweaking your tail?" The silence from the general was hilarious. He didn't have a clue how to answer that.

Yeah, people like to accuse PBS of that, but I don't recall Shepard Smith being asked to moderate the presidential debates the last go-around.

Can you picture Katie Couric moderating the 2008 presidential debates? Probably a good litmus test on whether you think she is a worthy network anchor candidate or not.

National, schmnational. How will it impact local?

11's been coming on strong with 5,6 and 10 newscasts in recent years. Dan Rather's bias issues *did* have an impact locally. Will The Couric Effect result in similar challenges?

Also, how will Meredith Viera going to the Today Show shake things up? Good Morning America has had a solid lock on this town for the longest time and 13 has had a solid morning win since the Dawn Of Time, but with Tom Koch moving and other stations making moves, this shuffle might lead to something at 2?

Okay, my bad. 2's hopelessly confused. Never mind.

Let's see...I make a comment, and nmainguy has to tell me yet again what an awful person I am. :rolleyes::lol:

News flash: people die all the time of something. That's great that she has opened eyes to the issues surrounding colon cancer (hey, I even saw the segment where she got a colonoscopy--my husband was also in that segment for about three seconds). It doesn't make her a saint, and it doesn't make her a serious journalist in my eyes. Both of my parents are dead. One of them died when my sister and I were kids--so spare me the drama about how her children lost their father and she lost her husband. I can say whatever the heck I want to about her. You wanna give someone credit for helping colon cancer? Try the RESEARCH DOCTORS, nmainguy. You know--the PhD's that make it possible for MD's to have golf memberships and drive Mercedes?

Here's a tip: learn to ignore me. ^_^ I've had to bite the bullet with most of the comments you have made recently, I wish you could do so with mine.