Durham Shopping Center - 1801 Durham Dr.

modgirl

I read on the City of Houston permit site that Starbucks is going in at 1801 Durham. I think that is across the street from Cyclone Anaya. I can't decide if having Starbucks in the Heights is a good or bad thing. I love the small neighborhood businesses in the Heights, but it is hard to resist Starbucks.

That's not in the Heights.

When that couple got shot around Jackson Hill a few months ago, we debated about the boundaries of neighborhoods in that area. Isn't that address considered one of the Heights - Houston Heights perhaps?

Guest danax
When that couple got shot around Jackson Hill a few months ago, we debated about the boundaries of neighborhoods in that area. Isn't that address considered one of the Heights - Houston Heights perhaps?

I think technically it's still the Heights possibly but it's one of those areas that has evolved into more Rice Military due to I-10 and the townhouse boom. I would guess that Heights residents wouldn't even consider anything south of I-10 the Heights either, as there have been apparently no attempts to preserve any of the bungalows that have been torn down en masse over the past 5 years.

Starbucks should have no neighborhood resistance here.

If they thought the Starbucks chain was going to threaten the dozens of locally owned coffee houses thriving in the Heights, I could understand their concern. But that's not the case.

Starbucks has their clientele and the funkier locally owned shops have their own. They both can co-exist in the same area in my opinion. A coffee shop like the one on Fairview would be great in the Heights.

I find it somewhat hard to believe that the new owners of the many 3500 sf Victorian McMansions going up all over the Heights is not considered Starbucks' target audience. Like them or not, they are Heights residents, too. For the Heights Association to arbitrarily decide that they are the arbiter of what is good for the Heights, is overstepping their bounds, IMO.

I find it somewhat hard to believe that the new owners of the many 3500 sf Victorian McMansions going up all over the Heights is not considered Starbucks' target audience. Like them or not, they are Heights residents, too.

Red,

That is the reason we will get a Starbucks eventually. I could actually see them setting up in the vacant building on 19th between Heights and Yale. If I remember correctly, this was a proposed location to begin with. I have no problem with a Starbucks there or anywhere else in the Heights. Actually, it is a perfect fit. No alcohol involved, trendy coffee and a willing consumer base.

B)

YEAHHHHHHHHH

I do love the locally owned places...but sometimes, you just want a white chocolate mocha that tastes just the right way!

I'll admit it...my name is Wendy, I live in the Heights and I enjoy Starbucks....who's with me?

Am I the only one left in the world who's never had a Starbucks coffee?

Can't you buy a pound of coffee at the grocery store for the price of a cup of Starbucks coffee? I think you've been had!

Ah, OTC, you harken from a previous era, when thrift, not consuption, was considered a virtue. :)

I, myself, do not throw $3.65 at one cup of coffee. My only point is the hypocrisy of the Heights Association. They push the prevailing Lot Line ordinance, which makes oversized houses the only ones that are economically viable, then oppose the businesses that cater to those homeowners. The market will dictate which businesses survive. The opposition to Starbucks is because it WILL be successful, not because it is not wanted. Even though I rarely buy their product, I don't need the Big Brother Heights Association to protect me from Starbucks.

I, myself, do not throw $3.65 at one cup of coffee. My only point is the hypocrisy of the Heights Association. They push the prevailing Lot Line ordinance, which makes oversized houses the only ones that are economically viable, then oppose the businesses that cater to those homeowners. The market will dictate which businesses survive. The opposition to Starbucks is because it WILL be successful, not because it is not wanted. Even though I rarely buy their product, I don't need the Big Brother Heights Association to protect me from Starbucks.

I have a friend who lives in a new build on a **gasp** divided lot on the west side. She was told by an officer in the HHA that she "really isn't the kind of person that joins the association." She thinks it was b/c of her house... Any, how that relates to Red's post is (and Red and I are getting hitched as soon as my current husband smartens up, by the way) she often says that it's the HHA job to push. Developers (residential and commercial) will push and the HHA has to push back. It will all go the way of the developers eventually (or for the most part) but they have to push back and make it a little harder. That way they are yielding some, instead of all. I think she has a good point, even though her kind is supposedly the scourge of the 'hood.

I know people like to rag on the HHA-hell, I like to rag on the HHA. But when they do something well I think they should be recognized for it. CVS is a good example. If Walgreens had built there it would have just another clear-the-lot and pave it over job. No trees; dumsters facing the rose garden on Heights. CVS actually worked with them and for a CVS, I think we ended up with a fairly well sited building.

Starbucks WILL eventually land in the Heights and the world won't tilt on it's axis, hurling us all out into the endless reaches of the universe. :D

B)

[bTW, heights_yankee, you and Red....anything you'd like to share??? ;) ]

[bTW, heights_yankee, you and Red....anything you'd like to share??? ;) ]

Sorry, I don't kiss and tell. ;)

I DO give the HHA credit for some things. I agree with them that pushing the developers often times keeps them from being lazy. That laziness is what causes the standard strip centers that everyone gripes about. But, some of their attempts to help invoke the law of unintended consequences. The lot line ordinance is my favorite example.

As for Starbucks, I've only heard the urban legend, but if they really did tell Starbucks that they could only put in one store, not two...well, frankly, that is not their job.

Take this Heights resident's post as a formal demand for a Starbucks... I know commercial brokers who have tried to talk them into moving to the Heights in the past. It would be a slam dunk on 6th at either Heights or Studemont. And it would probably increase property values more than the Target...

I would be really interested to hear the details on the supposed war between HHA and Starbucks??

I just had to get clarification on some of this HHA/Starbucks smack down that's been going around b/c I wasn't entirely sure the accusations some have made on this board to be accurate. I have personally talked to a few HHA members in the past and they have mentioned that they support a Starbucks going in on 19th...so why has the HHA gotten such a bad wrap for running Starbucks out of the Heights? It's true, rumors can spread as quick as a virus.

The truth about the HHA & Starbucks

I promise this is from as reliable source as they come!!!

The HHA's battle w/ Starbucks is a total fabrication, but somewhere it has been turned into "fact" through numerous rumors. This may be one of the sources of such rumors:

There was a building owner that wanted a Starbucks in his building on 19th, the building was designed for a coffee shop, and interestingly enough, it's still vacant. This same building owner wanted another commercial space built on top of another space on the east. Unfortunately the property is deed restricted to a non commercial space from the early 1900's, over 60 years before the HHA was formed. A city attorney (not the HHA) said that in no way could he get around the deed restriction. Although the HHA did not support the variance of the deed, it was not the HHA that enforced this. However, the building owner was upset and placed blame on the HHA.

A former president of the HHA personally talked to the owners of the 19th street building and the Starbucks corporate offices. Both parties admitted they never had a deal nor had they began to negotiate a deal.

HHA actually requested that Starbucks come to the Heights and they said the demographics were not right at that time. Starbucks believed that 19th street was not a heavily trafficked area and would not support their business model. Also, look at smaller mom and pop shops that fail b/c of lack of support. Although a totally different scenario, as a commercial investor, it's something to keep in consideration.The HHA was able to get Starbucks as a sponsor at the fun run a few years back and they handed out free samples during the race activities.

I read on the City of Houston permit site that Starbucks is going in at 1801 Durham. I think that is across the street from Cyclone Anaya. I can't decide if having Starbucks in the Heights is a good or bad thing. I love the small neighborhood businesses in the Heights, but it is hard to resist Starbucks.

Back to the original post. Can you confirm this or link to it? I drive by there a lot, and the building I think you are refering to has a different sign than a starbucks that just went up. I am talking about the building across from Cyclone that must have been built by the same developer as Cyclone cause they are almost duplicates. The only other places I can think of are Mission Burrito and the gym.

http://pdinet.pd.ci.houston.tx.us/permits/...Y&PermitType=13

City of Houston

PUBLIC WORKS AND ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT

Planning and Development Services Division

Code Enforcement

Today is Thursday, April 13

On-Line Permit Project Details

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Project Details

Project No:

Date:

3/28/2006

USE:

RESTAURANT BUILT-OUT (1674 SQFT.) 1-1-5-B-B 2000 IBC

Owner / Occupant:

STARBUCKS

Job Address:

1801 DURHAM DR 9

Tax ID:

Subdivision:

Valuation:

Inspector Zone:

Permit Type:

FCC Group:

Buyer:

STARBUCKS

Address:

1801 DURHAM DR 9 77007

Phone:

Return to sold permits search results

Please note plan status is updated once daily and may take from 24 to 48 hours to appear.

Last modified: 4/13/2006

Am I the only one left in the world who's never had a Starbucks coffee?

Can't you buy a pound of coffee at the grocery store for the price of a cup of Starbucks coffee? I think you've been had!

no. i am a firm believer in local business and even on a smaller fixed

income am happy to pay a little more at southland hardware than home

depot, taft st. bike for parts than academy. i see starbucks as big box

coffee that is priced higher than some of the local places i frequent. i

will admit montrose has more and better coffee shops than the heights.

the best coffee i've had in the heights was onion creek.

i did taste a bit of one at a company meeting. they had a boxed gallon

of coffee brought to the meeting because that was what the client would

drink. i took one sip and asked what it was, because it was obviously

different than what i was used to. not bad different but it definitely had

its own taste. the marketing director at the time said well its a branded

taste obviously -- we had to have some brought in. the only complaint

i've heard from folks is the CD compilation music they play in their shops

and the coffee is a little more acidic than they would prefer.

Edited by torvald

Well, this might be the best of both worlds. It's not Heights proper, so people like me who don't like Starbucks will be happy BUT it might as well be the Heights so people who want it (like Wendy) can be happy!

darn tootin!!! yippie!!!!!

also, to note, I was in Rice Village last night...and you know...there is that little independant coffee shop that is there that has been there as long as I've been around...starbucks doesn't necessarily kill out everything....