Wine

bachanon

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any oenophiles out there? What Houston area establishment has the best wine list?

Hmmmmm, there is a few that could actually tie here. Capital Grille, and Rainbow Lodge for starters. Might have to recommend Vic and Anthony's. Believe it or not, The Mercury Room also.

Rainbow Lodge had a strong wine list, but the service was that of a Chili's. Benjy's however, had a good list as well as a menu & service to match.

(I say the above about both in the past tense as its been about 3 years since going to either. Funny how a little kid will do that to you!)

Brennan's of Houston has an amazing wine list as well. They have a specialty wine dinner, where you set the price point and they serve 6 courses with 8 wines. (minimum 4 people)

http://www.brennanshouston.com/wine_dinner.htm

I'm no expert but I was certainly impressed with the wine list at Mark's. The sommelier was top notch as well and really added to the atmosphere. It's currently my best dining experience in Houston. But it did cost a fortune so there you go.

While the topic is up... Anyone have an opinion about Malbecs in general? Over the last few years these wines out of Argentina have become my favorite. A few years ago I could only find 2 or 3 labels in houston but now they seem to be everywhere. Any favorites?

• 2 months later...

I have a bottle of something, can't make it out. Its from 1796 (30 years after the consitution was signed). It's in Spanish. Was thinking about selling it on eBay, but my grandfather gave it to me and recently passed away, so I found it sentimental.

The best wine list in Houston is Ibiza. It's always changing. It's long and very esoteric, but not to the point that it's confusing. There is something for everyone!

Also, Shade on 19th (props to my neighborhood) has an amazing list. The sommalier is very knowledgable. Steak houses are as much about the fancy price point as anything. Shade is the opposite. Their captain's list tops out at about $120, but everything they pour is amazing.

Although technically not a "wine list," going to Spec's gets me all giddy inside. Endless rows of wine from all over the world? Yeeeehah!

Don't get me started. Specs is the greatest store around. Great prices and every wine I have ever wanted has been there. :D

I have a bottle of something, can't make it out. Its from 1796 (30 years after the consitution was signed). It's in Spanish. Was thinking about selling it on eBay, but my grandfather gave it to me and recently passed away, so I found it sentimental.

WOW, that is cool. Do you have any idea the worth? You should definetely look into that. I would think it would be very valuable.

:lol:

yes mark's is amazing. great suggestions everyone, thanks.

Mark's has a great wine list. I agree on Ibiza as well. Only been there once, but I remember we were impressed with the price of the wines.

Typcially most steakhouses haves pretty decent wines (often overpriced). Flemmings has a nice selection of wine by the glass which is great if you want to try different varietials (sp). Another great Steakhouse with an extensive wine list is Lynn's on Dairy Ashford. That place is wonderful. The owners are great people and put a lot of hard work and dedication into running a top notch restuarant. WE loved the wine choices and were suprised at the prices. There were many bottles that retail for $12-$15 on the menu for $28-$40. Often times those same bottles are $32-$60 at other places.

This is what my wine snob husband said:

Ibiza for selection and price.

Cafe Rabelais for French.

Da Marco for Italian.

I am intrigued now. Where is Cafe Rabelais? I do not do a lot of French, but I have not heard of this place. Where is it.......

:):)

I am intrigued now. Where is Cafe Rabelais? I do not do a lot of French, but I have not heard of this place. Where is it.......

:):)

Oh, it's so good. It's in Rice Village on Times. It used to be on Bolsover (down from Nit Noy) but moved in to a bigger space last year. They don't take reservations, so you can expect to wait, but it's been worth it every time I've been there. I know many a foodie and oneophile who list it as one of their fave places in town. :D

B4 U Eat Reviews

Oh, it's so good. It's in Rice Village on Times. It used to be on Bolsover (down from Nit Noy) but moved in to a bigger space last year. They don't take reservations, so you can expect to wait, but it's been worth it every time I've been there. I know many a foodie and oneophile who list it as one of their fave places in town. :D

B4 U Eat Reviews

Thanks. I will check it out. The villiage has so many great food choices.

• 3 months later...

I am moving from northen CA and will definitely miss Trader Joe's, BevMo for great and affordable wines. I'll miss the local winerier for tastings and those special occasion bottles. So what can compensate me for this loss in Houston? Are there independent or chain wine stores in Houston? How expensive/affordable are these? Do you guys order by mail? If yes, do you only order in winter to avoid spoiling by summer heat?

Appreciate your ideas and comments.

Corkscrew - a wine bar on Washington - is also good. Their selection is smaller, but their customer service is good, and they will pretty much order anything for you.

And as everyone else has said - Spec's on Smith rocks! They have free wine tastings all the time (TONS on Saturdays), and give you a "cash discount" for paying with cash/debit - also they have a "Spec's key" (discount card) that's free.

My friend gets quarterly shipments of wine from a winery in Northern CA (Meridian) - maybe they overnight it (I'm not sure), but she's never had a problem with spoilage.

I will be poppin' the cork on some wonderful Tedeschi Vineyards, Maui Splash. I bought a half dozen of these back in 2001 during my honeymoon on Maui. It is a wonderful Chardonnay, with Pineapple and passion fruit, grown right there on the Vineyard. I highly recommend this wine to anyone. I think they have a website they can ship some to ya.

• 4 weeks later...
Shame on you for not declaring all that good wine!!!!!!!

Off topic, which terminal does CO use in CDG? is it the new AF terminal? I have only flown US Airways to CDG and the old terminal they use reminds me of a rat or gerbil in a tunnel maze. Very 1960's :) Would be great for the picture takers here to get shots of that terminal from the inside :)

CO uses Terminal 2A at CDG, which is one of the older parts of Terminal 2. It's very old and ugly, and poorly designed for the crowds it now handles. There are not nearly enough gates for arriving aircraft so many must park on the ramp and passengers deplane on stairs and take a bus to the terminal. There are a few new gates in 2A (A37-A39) that are newer and built to a similar design to the newer sections of Terminal 2 (like the section that collapsed). I flew out of one of these gates and they have better waiting areas than the older gate areas, where there just aren't enough seats. Overall my impression of CDG was not good. The place is old, dingy, and smells odd. It's also very crowded because the ticket counters are in the same area that arriving passengers exit customs into, which means you have tons of people waiting on arriving passengers mixed in with all of the people trying to check in for flights in a relatively small space. On the plus side, immigration and customs arriving at CDG was super fast -- I was the first person from my flight to reach immigration, there was no line ahead of us, so I walked up, handed the woman my passport, and was done with her in less than 30 seconds. BIG contrast to the hour+ waits I've experienced arriving at LGW.

As for not declaring my wine... maybe next time. ;) I'm about to open a bottle of said contraband wine now!

BIG contrast to the hour+ waits I've experienced arriving at LGW.

As for not declaring my wine... maybe next time. ;) I'm about to open a bottle of said contraband wine now!

LGW is just a damn trainwreck. Fortunate for me i dont have to go there as much. Most of my UK business takes place in MAN-Manchester, England now. MAN is a breeze. Only problem there is the lack of widebody gates so there the ramp action or "hardstand" as they call it, going on. That kinda sucks! I hate enplaning and deplaning using the airstairs :(

Also in LGW's favor for me, i dont usually have to leave the airport grounds. I only have to walk over to the airport Hilton ;) Ever stay there? If so, try to avoid shopping at the "Whistle Stop" store. that place is a rip off on prices!!!! :angry2::angry2::angry2:

Archived