Supertall Skyscapers

Guest Plastic

Guest Plastic

If you've watched the news the last few years you know New York is supposed to be getting 2 new supertall buildings. They are supposed to replace The Twin Towers of The World Trade Center. Not sure which design has been choosen but they're supposed to be the tallest buildings in the world.

New York has always had true skyscrapers, Houston has not. Although we have he tallest buiding away from a downtown which is aqrued we dont set any world records for skyscrapers in Houston. Would you want to change it. The buildings in Neww York and Chicago are quite taller than the onesin this city. Asia and The Far East are geting in on it. As for Sears Tower,The Twin Towers, Petronas Towers and Taipei 101 they are not the tallest buildings planned.

Companies ,especially in Japan have been looking for building buildings up tp 500 stories tall. This completely dwarfs anything in Houston Texas. I doubt we'll get anything as tall as the Empire State Building in this town. But is we were to build any of these supertall or megatall scrapers in Houston where would we build them?

Something Sears Tower size would take a huge base I'd think. There's only so much space on a Houston block. We migh t have to use 4 blocks or build it away from Downtown.Greenay,The Galleria, or Westchase are th e prime areas. It might take a whole century before we see the need for something 500 stories tall.This would have to be for more than business. The Japanese are wanting to build them because thee are so many people,so little space there. If they had something reaching 1 a mile in the air there they could have aprtments for thousands and thousands of people.

We could have the people here but we aren't an urban styled city. Northern cities go for that concrete jungle ,urban formatt. There's be a whole host of things in it, offices,residences,bussinesses, entertainment, schools, and even a park at the top. WHil building it and filling it partially maybot be a problem, I can forsee one huge one. Where would all the people park?

Edited by Plastic

Companies ,especially in Japan have been looking for building buildings up tp 500 stories tall. This completely dwarfs anything in Houston Texas. I doubt we'll get anything as tall as the Empire State Building in this town. But is we were to build any of these supertall or megatall scrapers in Houston where would we build them?

Something Sears Tower size would take a huge base I'd think. There's only so much space on a Houston block. We migh t have to use 4 blocks or build it away from Downtown.Greenay,The Galleria, or Westchase are th e prime areas. It might take a whole century before we see the need for something 500 stories tall.This would have to be for more than business. The Japanese are wanting to build them because thee are so many people,so little space there. If they had something reaching 1 a mile in the air there they could have aprtments for thousands and thousands of people.

They would have to be on the extreme edge of madness to build a structure like that in Japan....one of the most active earthquake areas on the face of the Earth.......

They would have to be on the extreme edge of madness to build a structure like that in Japan....one of the most active earthquake areas on the face of the Earth.......

Actually, extremely tall buildings are relatively easy to design as earthquake-proof. The trick is to allow them to oscillate, rather than being perfectly solid blocks. By making them slightly conical, they become even more resilient.

I really wonder about Plastic sometimes... While it is true people have proposed such things, none (obviously) have ever been built. It is just not economically (or in Japans case also the cost would be magnified due to the threat of earth quakes) feasible. Plastic, why are you comparing us to Japan, Tokyo's tallest building is over 200 feet shorter than our tallest. I think they have one proposed that will be 100 feet taller, but we will have to see if it pans out. So why even say some pie in the sky proposal dwarfs anything we have?

As for your comments on New York. First of all the Freedom tower only consists of one supertall building. There are other tall ones, but the freedom tower is by far the tallest. Also odds are it will not be the tallest building in the world at completion. They also have a couple 1000+ footers under construction. It is also somewhat funny how you say the buildings in New York are always quite taller when they only have 2 completed (excluding the WTC :( ) which are taller than our tallest. And both were constructed in the late 20's/early 30's. Also none of my remarks were meant to bad mouth New York, it does have thousands of more buildings, and in general they are quite tall.

I am surprised you didn't mention Chicago if you wanted a pretty good supertall argument. Especially when the population is much closer to ours than New York's is. They have a 2000 footer planned, and two over 1000 feet under construction (about 1040' and 1350' [from memory]) Also why would the Sears Tower need a 500' x 500' base in Houston? I believe each side is about 240-250', and if I recall our blocks are 250' x 250'.

Lastly supertalls do not make an urban fabric. Many would even say they are counter productive in that regard. Also so are most European cities not urban because they do not have supertalls? I may be reading your last statement incorrectly though. Are you talking about some 500 story tower at the end? Also I find it curious that you talk of something being urban, and then you end with asking where they will park.

Anyways, I kind of rambled and I am too lazy to reorganize it. Not that it would make an impact either way. Well I did kind of read through it, and I relaized I say "also" alot...

Something Sears Tower size would take a huge base I'd think. There's only so much space on a Houston block. We migh t have to use 4 blocks or build it away from Downtown.

The block that the Sears Tower is the same size as any regular city block. You could easily build a building just as tall on a city block in downtown Houston. In fact, with advances in construction technology since the 60's it might be possible to build it in even less space.

Guest Plastic

I didn't say tall buildings were a requirement for urban cities.

Now if I'm corret 10ft eqauls 1 stoary. SO a 2,00ft building would be 200 stories. Is this real? nd yes there have been many specials on Thje Discovery Channel about megatall structures. Back in the early 90s the Japanese were talking about a 500 story one. China was supposed to build a megatall one but their economy went to bust and they're forced to build alot shorter.

I'm actually inclined to believe that having tall unique buildings (the signature skyline) is a requisite for urbanity. Otherwise, you'd have a city that is nothing but a bunch of boring cookie-cutter medium-sized buildings.

Tall buildings also fulfill the ego of those that make a concious decision to live/work there. They put you above the clutter that is humanity, into an environment filled with airy abstracts. Some people like that. I know I do...just can't afford it yet.

Basically, though, my stance is that urbanity is about more than making people function together in dense planned pedestrian-oriented urban theme parks...because part of humanity is the inherent disfunction that has to be allowed to take place within the context of the City. Utopia cannot exist because if it did, we'd all be bored with the optimality...I need to find a way to better articulate this... :mellow: I haven't slept since 3:00PM Saturday.

Does anyone get what I'm trying to say? Can you say it better?

Edited by TheNiche

They're the same height and Pennzoil looks better to me.

Three Allen Center is about 160 feet taller.

@TheNiche

First of all since when are midrises all cookie cutter? Highrises can be just as cookie cutter. Also may I ask, what do you consider more urban Paris or Houston? Houston has many more tall buildings, but I would have to question your sanity if you say it is more urban than Paris.

Basically. No I actually do not see where you are coming from TheNiche because I never understood why skyscrapers are a prerequisite in order to reach urbanity.

Where do people get this from anyway? For the simple fact that highrises usually are not located in small towns? I never understood why people salivate over a skyline like it makes the city. Urbanism is found not in the air but on the ground. I find an urban streetscape with vibrancy a lot more impressive than a few structures rising in the air to form a skyline and highrises and midrises are capable of doing this. Sometimes even single family homes. Visit Uptown and Magazine Street in the Marigny in New Orleans for example.

They're the same height and Pennzoil looks better to me.

They are not the same height. Do your homework.

Basically. No I actually do not see where you are coming from TheNiche because I never understood why skyscrapers are a prerequisite in order to reach urbanity.

Where do people get this from anyway? For the simple fact that highrises usually are not located in small towns? I never understood why people salivate over a skyline like it makes the city. Urbanism is found not in the air but on the ground. I find an urban streetscape with vibrancy a lot more impressive than a few structures rising in the air to form a skyline and highrises and midrises are capable of doing this. Sometimes even single family homes. Visit Uptown and Magazine Street in the Marigny in New Orleans for example.

Skyscapers can be beautiful urban sculptures and conversly scars on the face of a city

montpa6.jpg

but height is not a prerequsite for urban living.

Edited by nmainguy

Good point. Paris was a thriving urban center for centuries before it got its first skyscraper.

Good point. Paris was a thriving urban center for centuries before it got its first skyscraper.

Better point, Paris really cannot support skyscrapers.....the ground isnt stable enough for that type on consentrated tonnage. Take a tour of underground Paris through the catacombs and you will see.........

Three Allen Center is about 160 feet taller.

@TheNiche

First of all since when are midrises all cookie cutter? Highrises can be just as cookie cutter. Also may I ask, what do you consider more urban Paris or Houston? Houston has many more tall buildings, but I would have to question your sanity if you say it is more urban than Paris.

That'd be difficult to say. I have avoided Paris in my travels. I have been to Ireland, the U.K. (breifly), Germany, Austria (spent a full week in Innsbruck), and northern Italy. So my concept of urbanity isn't going to account for Paris...which was essentially rebuilt by a dictator with the expressed intent of making it easier to engage in urban combat...or much of Europe for that matter.

In fact, my notion of utopian urbanity has far more to do with aesthetics and culture than it does with density. I like the notion of having a diversity of buildings of every shape, size, and exterior facade imaginable. I like the notion that individuals of every background imaginable create and inhabit such buildings, their environs becoming a reflection of the aggregate sum of the population of individuals. I like the notion that there aren't regulations dictating the architectural character of new development, defining for people what is supposed to be good and what is supposed to be bad. I like the notion that everyone gets a choice and that every niche market is fulfilled. Houston offers these choices within a fairly tight geographic area...and without there being prohobitively high housing prices. In that sense, Houston is far more urbane than many cities with far higher densities, and continues to become moreso each year.

Better point, Paris really cannot support skyscrapers.....the ground isnt stable enough for that type on consentrated tonnage. Take a tour of underground Paris through the catacombs and you will see.........

Most of Paris' tall buildings are built outside of the old city.

Where do people get this from anyway? For the simple fact that highrises usually are not located in small towns? I never understood why people salivate over a skyline like it makes the city. Urbanism is found not in the air but on the ground.

Took a trip to visit the small town where I grew up, and also to NYC, where I stayed in the East Village. When I returned, a friend was looking at one of my photos and said (rather dismissively) "Yeah, that looks like every small town in America."

Funny thing is, it was taken on Ave. A. You don't get much more 'urban' than that.

Skyscrapers make for pretty skylines, and bragging rights, and to serve as landmarks in cities. Much of their other attractions can be understood by reading the works of Freud. :rolleyes:

Took a trip to visit the small town where I grew up, and also to NYC, where I stayed in the East Village. When I returned, a friend was looking at one of my photos and said (rather dismissively) "Yeah, that looks like every small town in America."

Funny thing is, it was taken on Ave. A. You don't get much more 'urban' than that.

Skyscrapers make for pretty skylines, and bragging rights, and to serve as landmarks in cities. Much of their other attractions can be understood by reading the works of Freud. :rolleyes:

It'd be nice to see more skyscrapers downtown, but what kind of design for new tall structure would fit in with the rest, and aren't there already many vacant office spaces downtown?

It'd be nice to see more skyscrapers downtown, but what kind of design for new tall structure would fit in with the rest, and aren't there already many vacant office spaces downtown?

What about a few colossal residentials? Build all the Uptown units in Downtown and there you have it.

Look at Eureka Tower, Melbourne, Australia (82 floors):

Eureka.gif

november5walk002a4yf.jpg

There's nothing wrong with penii. They're half of the equation and deserve the appropriate recognition. :P

CHase Towe is our tallest building. It's alot shorter when compared to Searrs Tower, EMpire State, and Twin Towers.

Chase Tower is currently much taller than the Twin Towers.

Sorry... Macabre. But I just couldn't help myself.

Chase Tower is currently much taller than the Twin Towers.

Sorry... Macabre. But I just couldn't help myself.

Editor, you're like weed in a freezer: Cold, yet blunt :P

Yo Desirous, that tower's design looks great! I couldn't picture seeing a newly-designed building in downtown until I saw that Eureka picture. I think those style high rises Downtown would look sweet with our currents.

I was mainly blind to the idea because a lot of these new super-tower, world's talest building, spiral designs coming up look like rip-offs of each other, and I can't imagine Houston having that spiral design downtown. :mellow: If and when Houston got more skyscrapers, I was thinking Dubai's designs (excluding their tallest building) were more ideal to fit in with Houston's building designs. I just feel like our skyline looks so delicate, and one new poorly designed skyscraper could make the whole skyline look funky :unsure:

Editor, you're like weed in a freezer: Cold, yet blunt :P

Yo Desirous, that tower's design looks great! I couldn't picture seeing a newly-designed building in downtown until I saw that Eureka picture. I think those style high rises Downtown would look sweet with our currents.

I was mainly blind to the idea because a lot of these new super-tower, world's talest building, spiral designs coming up look like rip-offs of each other, and I can't imagine Houston having that spiral design downtown. :mellow: If and when Houston got more skyscrapers, I was thinking Dubai's designs (excluding their tallest building) were more ideal to fit in with Houston's building designs. I just feel like our skyline looks so delicate, and one new poorly designed skyscraper could make the whole skyline look funky :unsure:

I like Dubai's designs a lot and would love to see that sort of construction here on a mass scale, but im not too sure some of them would hold up to high wind ratings here.