Supertall Skyscapers

Guest Plastic

yes, especially with wind. glass may break but skyscrapers massive size alone makes them very resilient to wind. that coupled with wind dampers and allowing the structure to sway makes skyscrapers some of the sturdiest buildings in wind.

I remember being in Chase bank (TX Commerce) a few years ago. Upon reaching the 71st floor I started feeling strange, the secretary noticed and asked if I was ok. I said "I think so but I feel a little dizzy". She said oh, it's the building swaying because the winds are blowing so hard today. She went on to tell me that a few hours before Alicia hit there were white caps in the comodes.

yes, especially with wind. glass may break but skyscrapers massive size alone makes them very resilient to wind. that coupled with wind dampers and allowing the structure to sway makes skyscrapers some of the sturdiest buildings in wind.

Dont know how to post pics here, but some of those designs are funky cool :) Also they look as though the building would topple over to one side in hurricane force winds........

any skyscraper thats going to be built is going to be made to very strict specifications for all types of weather conditions...there would be no more trouble with one of those buildings over the ones we have now

Oh yeah, then how does one explain the Citigroup Center in NYC?

It should be noted* That Houston only has 0 in the top 25, not 3, as Gary said ;)

Unless it went like this:

Based one Roof Height, not spire/antenna:

16. JP Morgan Chase Tower (305.4 m)

21. Wells Fargo Plaza (296.3m)

39. Williams Tower

Skyscrapers.com List (based on roof & spires)

29. JP Morgan Chase Tower

32. Wells Fargo Plaza

55. Williams Tower

Skyscrapers.com

Guest Plastic
I remember being in Chase bank (TX Commerce) a few years ago. Upon reaching the 71st floor I started feeling strange, the secretary noticed and asked if I was ok. I said "I think so but I feel a little dizzy". She said oh, it's the building swaying because the winds are blowing so hard today. She went on to tell me that a few hours before Alicia hit there were white caps in the comodes.

White caps as in hats. WHy weere their caps in the commode?

Yo Desirous, that tower's design looks great! I couldn't picture seeing a newly-designed building in downtown until I saw that Eureka picture. I think those style high rises Downtown would look sweet with our currents.

That's what I thought on first sight: schweet. Besides, a few 80-floor residentials, and the whole "retail critical mass" talk can go in the dumpster. :D

Can we please start a section called "Pipe Dreams." People and their dreams I tell ya.

There was a day when I thought China being capitalist was a pipe dream. The only thing that keeps dreams from becoming reality is the apathetic attitude that calls them mere dreams.

Edited by desirous

It should be noted* That Houston only has 0 in the top 25, not 3, as Gary said ;)

Unless it went like this:

Based one Roof Height, not spire/antenna:

16. JP Morgan Chase Tower (305.4 m)

21. Wells Fargo Plaza (296.3m)

39. Williams Tower

Skyscrapers.com List (based on roof & spires)

29. JP Morgan Chase Tower

32. Wells Fargo Plaza

55. Williams Tower

Skyscrapers.com

My source was Emporis and I haven't looked at the stats you listed in a while. It's certainly possible that with all of the construction going on, that they have dropped out of the ranking I listed. Oh and by the way, that stat was based on roof height.

Anyway my point was not to put out some crazy number regarding Houston, it was to make the point that we've got some pretty damn tall buildings. Geeez, even with the numbers you posted we're not doing to bad, so you reiterated my point for me.

Do me a favor, if I've put out some incorrect info, don't be sarcastic about it. Thanks.

Edited by Gary

^Plastic...

My source was Emporis

Just as an aside, Emporis.com and Skyscrapers.com are the same entity. They had a name change a while back I believe, but as you see http://www.skyscrapers.com will still take you to Emporis. You may realize this though, so...yeah... :unsure:

I do like to go by roof height, and if not that, then a number which includes antennas and spires. But then 1 Shell would be the second tallest building in Houston. But a better example would be the Sears tower and Petronas towers. Sears, visually, surpasses Petronas, but because the spire extends slightly above the roof, and antennas don't count, Petronas took the world's tallest ranking (for a little bit).

Well I kind of went of on a tangent there...

Edited by YakuzaIce

My source was Emporis and I haven't looked at the stats you listed in a while. It's certainly possible that with all of the construction going on, that they have dropped out of the ranking I listed. Oh and by the way, that stat was based on roof height.

Anyway my point was not to put out some crazy number regarding Houston, it was to make the point that we've got some pretty damn tall buildings. Geeez, even with the numbers you posted we're not doing to bad, so you reiterated my point for me.

Do me a favor, if I've put out some incorrect info, don't be sarcastic about it. Thanks.

Sorry if you have an itch to scratch with me, gary, But my post was not intentional to be sarcastic or to "reiterate your point." I just didn't want citykid (no offense) or anyone else heading on over to SSC and saying "Houston has 3 in the top 25!!" I was simply posting facts, no hard feelings ok?

Edited by Montrose1100