Bridge may shatter budget

Bridge may shatter budget

Some say soaring costs put Calatrava's 3rd Trinity span in peril

08:30 AM CST on Friday, March 31, 2006

By EMILY RAMSHAW / The Dallas Morning News

Construction costs for the first of three much-heralded bridges to span the Trinity River could reach $100 million

I love Dallas. But you can't make stories like this one up.

Check the DMN "reader comments" on this story. Even Dallasites are up in arms.

But you failed to answer my question:

Exactly how are these bridges supposed to re-invigorate Dallas?

It's still a bridge. Larua Miller says it will re-stimulate South Dallas.

How?

Charles Bridge in Prague and Tower Bridge in London are two of my faves. But they carry a good amount of pedestrians.

Are the Dallas bridges for pedestrians, autos, or both?

I think it's a bit of a stretch to claim that the bridges will re-stimulate South Dallas, but city officials always claim developmental benefits from civic improvements. Much the same as the claim here that the new downtown park will stimulate development. It might, but in both cases there's a degree of wishful thinking going on. As I said, the real rationale is image-building.

Much the same as the claim here that the new downtown park will stimulate development.

I must have missed that press release. I heard Mayor White say it would be a crowel jewl, or something like that, but never that he was building this park to spur development.

Creating a park to supr development is quite the oxymoron.

I must have missed that press release. I heard Mayor White say it would be a crowel jewl, or something like that, but never that he was building this park to spur development.

Creating a park to supr development is quite the oxymoron.

He actually wants both. He wants a vibrant urban park downtown, and hopes that it will spur development of the east side of DT into residential and retail surrounding the park.

If I am not mistaken, this bridge will be in the center of Dallas' Trinity River Urban Development. No need for it to be packed with pedestrians now, but eventually it might.

They are freeway bridges. Walking on the freeway is illegal. How much fun it would be to walk on a Calatrava with semis from the Port of Dallas blowing by at 70 mph.

They are freeway bridges. Walking on the freeway is illegal. How much fun it would be to walk on a Calatrava with semis from the Port of Dallas blowing by at 70 mph.

Oh. I thought the bridges were for autos and pedestrians.

It looks as if there are peds on one of the bridges.

30bridge5ue.jpg

That last one is outside Houston.

On the face of it, those renderings make the Trinity River look similar to Houston's Buffalo Bayou plan. So my question is, what is the likelihood of the elements of this plan taking place as envisioned?

Only in Dallas do you see something built for vanity's sake.

What a load of BS.

You know I heard there are people in Dallas that water their lawns just so they'll look better! You might want to get right on that, surely it deserves a new thread!

Jason

Read the DMS reader comments. See how happy folks are about these bridges.

Some great quotes in there like:

"Now it looks as if a new stadium would have helped fund these new, expensive, sure-to-be-underutilized bridges."

So the new stadium built in 2009 was going to fund these bridges? Yeah right! The comments in that section look no different than the comments about the "future" light rail lines, the red and blue.

The private sector picked up the tab for the design improvements to the bridge, if people give them a chance they will probably pick up much of the materials overrun costs which seem to be affecting *everything* these days.

jason

Building a "big & pretty" bridge could mean all the difference. After all, a city with a symbolic Bridge has a greater image.

But I don't understand the river developement, where will all that water come from? Isn't the Trinity usually "dried up" most of the year?

sou0rq.jpg

Are they going to divert water from somewhere else?

But I don't understand the river developement, where will all that water come from? Isn't the Trinity usually "dried up" most of the year?

The part that is dry in your image is the floodway, and isn't supposed to be wet. The main channel flows well even in droughts in my experience. Smaller water sources fill MUCH bigger lakes around the DFW area. Even during 2005, which actually matched the worst years of the dust bowl era in several ways, there were several area lakes which really weren't affected that much, and in one big rain were basically full.

Jason

Are they going to divert water from somewhere else?

Yes, the water for the "lakes" (big ponds, IMO) will not come directly from the Trinity, but will be piped in from Lake Lewisville. The plan is for a new Trinity channel to be placed on the south side (I think) of the floodplain, which will make room for the lakes.

In my opinion, the Trinity plan is interesting, but it

Building a "big & pretty" bridge could mean all the difference. After all, a city with a symbolic Bridge has a greater image.

Very true. The biggest routist attraction in Rotterdam is the Erasmusbrug.

NL-Erasmusbrug-002.jpg

Redding, California has seen a spike in tourism since it opened its Sundial Bridge last year.

SundialBridge-001.jpg

And don't forget one of the most famous bridges in the world:

GoldenGateBridge-001.jpg

...and the other:

BrooklynBridge-001.jpg

Right now, Chicago is holding a contest to replace five or six pedestrian bridges over Lake Shore Drive with fancy new ones. Part of the requirement is that they must be visually stunning. You can see the finalists here.

Bottom line: It's not a waste of money to turn infrastructure into a work of art.

I think Baton Rouge has one like that, too.

Nice. They will come in handy for ninjas who want to jump onto the sailboats seen the pic as well :ph34r:

okay, anyways, i think one bridge would do and having a lake(even though swimming in it might be a stretch),but that seems like a waste to build 3 ugly designer bridges over a fake lake when some places dont even have enough money to fix their roads

Nice. They will come in handy for ninjas who want to jump onto the sailboats seen the pic as well :ph34r:

okay, anyways, i think one bridge would do and having a lake(even though swimming in it might be a stretch),but that seems like a waste to build 3 ugly designer bridges over a fake lake when some places dont even have enough money to fix their roads

That kind of thinking is what filled the Communist Bloc with row after row of identical, faceless, ugly concrete apartment blocks.

Archived