Weise Properties Lofts At 2121 Congress St.

I was just wondering if anyone has lived in the lofts owned by Weise Properties. Im considering leasing from them and was just wondering what the buildings and the landlords are like. I know the own a few warehouses around commerce street that the lease as artist lofts and Im interested in moving to one soon. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

-Donald

• The title was changed to Weise Properties Lofts At 2121 Congress St.
  • 1 month later...

2121 Congress St is in East Downtown. This should be moved from the Downtown Forum to the EaDo forum. @Urbannizer @Triton

According to Weise Properties' website this is The Houston Belt Terminal Building.

Details pertaining to The Houston Belt Terminal Building:

The property has approximately 31,250 square feet (1/2 city block) and is located at the east half of Congress Avenue and Hutchins Street. The site is improved with a one story building which contains approximately 8,500 square feet.

The Houston Belt Terminal Building is a historical building in Houston's Central Warehouse District, adjacent to Highway 59 and Chinatown. Close to the
new Astro's stadium.

The building has six loft apartments with separate utilities. Additional features include gated parking with some carports. Area for fenced green belt or yard.

Unique architectural design.

https://www.wieseproperties.com/2121-Congress.htm

2121 Congress St is for sale. I don't know how long the property has been on the market, but it's been a while. 

Property details from the LoopNet listing:

• 8,500 sf vacant industrial building

• Lot Size: 0.72 ac

• Property Type: Industrial

• Property Subtype: Warehouse

• Building Class: C

• Year Built: 1920

• No. Dock-High Doors/Loading:  6

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2121-Congress-St-Houston-TX/3615414/

On 9/15/2023 at 7:01 AM, sapo2367 said:

My prediction -- surface parking lot 😪 Its like a block from where the new I45 reroute will go so I wonder if whoever buys it will wait for that project to complete before really doing something with the property.

I know there are some folks on here who are loathe to any kind of centralized planning, and especially loathe to slow permitting, but I really wish the the city would adopt a policy (even if it's unofficial and internal) of just delaying the permitting indefinitely for proposed surface parking lots. At least within a short distance of Downtown. It is a severe local climate issue, and absent a land value tax, it's a fiscal issue as well. The city needs to treat all Houston lands (not just those it technically owns) as assets, and surface parking lots are exceptionally unproductive uses of those assets.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2023 at 12:56 PM, 004n063 said:

I know there are some folks on here who are loathe to any kind of centralized planning, and especially loathe to slow permitting, but I really wish the the city would adopt a policy (even if it's unofficial and internal) of just delaying the permitting indefinitely for proposed surface parking lots. At least within a short distance of Downtown. It is a severe local climate issue, and absent a land value tax, it's a fiscal issue as well. The city needs to treat all Houston lands (not just those it technically owns) as assets, and surface parking lots are exceptionally unproductive uses of those assets.

Not legally possible unless the voters approved zoning. 

It is already in a market-based parking area. As sad as it is, this would be the market working. 

We are much better off extending market-based parking everywhere and showing that it works. 

On 9/16/2023 at 12:56 PM, 004n063 said:

I don't think the city can be selective like this. 

what they should do is increase the requirement of ALL parking lots for shade trees being put in. I think they have a specific amount of trees per SF right now, but they should just increase it across the board for everyone. maybe update it within the guise of renewable energy and say you can skip trees if you put in solar panels.