The biggest city development I've ever seen

I LOVE original developments, and this definately would be one of those developments. This is Dubai's hot new development. A HUGE man-made luxury island system called "The World". Thanks to that development, other hot developments are starting off around it as well. Thanx to this, Dubai could very well be one of the top 10 luxurious cities in the world by the end of this decade. Yes, I know there's already a Dubai thread, but I also know not many people were aware of this...

dubai_waterfront.jpg

the_world.jpg

palm_jebel_ali.jpg

dubai_sports_city.jpg

dubai_pearl.jpg

falcon_city_of_wonders.jpg

business_bay.jpg

palm_trump_international_hotel_and_tower.jpg

Lastly, Trump International Tower Dubai

There's so many beautiful buildings to show that it's just better to check out the links.

The 200+ high rises:

http://realestate.theemiratesnetwork.com/d...i/dubai_marina/

79 MORE new high rises:

http://realestate.theemiratesnetwork.com/d...ah_lake_towers/

At one time, the Astrodome was being talked about to be redeveloped into something like this....

http://realestate.theemiratesnetwork.com/d...nd/snowdome.php

Here's DubaiLand. Got some MAD theme park-resort work going on here.

http://realestate.theemiratesnetwork.com/d...i/dubailand.php

Has a video on the "World" project

http://realestate.theemiratesnetwork.com/d...rld_islands.php

Finally, check out this link. It shows the new Trump development in Dubai, and the new Atlantis Hotel

http://realestate.theemiratesnetwork.com/d.../index_palm.php

Dubai was featured on an episode of National Geographic's Megastructures. The president of Dubai wants to attract 15 million tourists annually by 2020, around the same time their oil supply dries up, to replace the revenue that would be lost.

Dubai was featured on an episode of National Geographic's Megastructures. The president of Dubai wants to attract 15 million tourists annually by 2020, around the same time their oil supply dries up, to replace the revenue that would be lost.

Perhaps other cities that depend on oil and energy for revenue should take note?

Why are these multi-billion dollar project styles available in Dubai and not in other cities? I mean, environment wise. There's no fear of flooding?

money?

that's quite lavish. not only the structures

but actually creating islands, yes?

money?

that's quite lavish. not only the structures

but actually creating islands, yes?

Absolutely. You see the idea. the local government and investors spend mad cash to start a HUGE development surge, and to do that, they found many of the world's billionaires, realized what they wanted in luxury, and hired the best architect firms and told them to do what no one's ever done before. As a result, the whole city benefits. Once again, it's something Houston could explore (I'm referring to developments that you can't find anywhere else but Houston)

By the way, I think the cheapest island you can buy in "The World" development is $4 million dollars. And that's BEFORE you develop anything on it. Most islands will be homes for the mad rich. Ultimate luxury right beside a world-class city and other multi-billion dollar developments. I'm expecting to hear a LOT about Dubai for years to come. I DEFINATELY plan to visit there one day because of their developments.

Dubai is the banking center of the Arab world. It is the optimal location for international companies to place regional headquarters in. The only major drawbacks from my point of view are traffic (mad crazy with the highest accident reporting and teen deaths in the world) and cost (it aint cheap to open a office there). And if you arent American you don't pay any taxes.

My company has been trying to send personel there and nobody wants to go, either because of the Western/Eastern conflict or the gaudy lifestyle.

All is not well in Dubai. The construction workers have been rioting over the last week or so. Burj Dubai construction was halted for a couple of days, and the workers at the airport went on strike in sympathy. Working conditions are supposed to be pretty bad.

What i don't get is the fact that Dubai's population is right at 1 million and the entire country (UAE) sits at about 4 million. How do they plan to fill all of these commercial highrises and those that are proposed?

It seems to me that these guys are WAY overbuilding.

Commercial is no problem... there is no office space available right now. Nothing. There are so many companies that want to open offices here and are having to contain themselves to one room facilities with a agent until they can find something more sizeable.

As for the resorts and hotels, I have no idea. I know some of my european friends do have Dubai on thier list of vacation spots but mainly for shopping and such. The Milan of the middle east. Availability to alcohol is a problem for younger tourism. Otherwise very western friendly.

It is amazing what can be accomplished by a monarchal dictatorship. Build a few islands and screw up native migratory routes and habitats for fish and foul-no prob. Pay labor a minimal rate with no benefits-what a deal. Yeah...it sounds just like heaven on earth to me.

B)

There are alot of numbers and figures being streched and thrown around.

I've been to Dubai twice, and I am going again in June. The city is completely dead during the day, except on the roads, where there is horrible traffic. But I noticed in the Malls, Beach, and general city, its was very empty. All of these projects are exciting, but alot of the money is black market. Expecially since the country will house anyone.

I don't expect alot of these projects to be completed, the majority is not deman anyhow.

***And the Islands where sinking, due to there "great" engineering... :lol: I don't expect too many Highrises on those islands.

• 3 weeks later...

I would be suspect of putting too much into Dubai...Milan of the Middle East. Beirut was the Paris of the Middle East and it more closely resembles swiss cheese. That region of the world is not a longterm safe harbor for doing business. As soon as the religious nuts get interested in it, it will sink faster than a beer soaked pretzel.

I would be suspect of putting too much into Dubai...Milan of the Middle East. Beirut was the Paris of the Middle East and it more closely resembles swiss cheese. That region of the world is not a longterm safe harbor for doing business. As soon as the religious nuts get interested in it, it will sink faster than a beer soaked pretzel.

That would probably depend on UAE Royalty, and I can't see them wanting to change their trends so long as they keep seeing their developments going, and they keep seeing that $green$.

I want to go out on the limb and say that I think if any Middle Eastern City hosted the Olympics, it would probably be Dubai. Anyone agree?

4121005271528.jpg

Also, did you know Burj Dubai will be roughly TWICE the size of the Empire State Building? And it will be a RESIDENTIAL tower, and the rooms will all be 100% designed by Georgio Armani? I assumed before that the tallest buildings were all reserved for office spaces...

Also, did you know Burj Dubai will be roughly TWICE the size of the Empire State Building? And it will be a RESIDENTIAL tower, and the rooms will all be 100% designed by Georgio Armani? I assumed before that the tallest buildings were all reserved for office spaces...

Well in a way they still are (in reference to the Burj Dubai). It will have the bottom part as a hotel, the middle is residential up to about the 120th floor, then the rest is offices. All I have to say about that is it would suck when you reserve a hotel room in the tallest building in the world (possibly whenever you make the reservation) only to end up 30 feet off the ground. But alot of residential buildings are reaching new heights nowadays (i.e. 1000+ ft.).

Also where do you get the double the size of the Empire State figure? That would make it 2500 ft. While some claim it is going to be 200 stories, most are looking for closer to 150-160 floors.

Well in a way they still are (in reference to the Burj Dubai). It will have the bottom part as a hotel, the middle is residential up to about the 120th floor, then the rest is offices. All I have to say about that is it would suck when you reserve a hotel room in the tallest building in the world (possibly whenever you make the reservation) only to end up 30 feet off the ground. But alot of residential buildings are reaching new heights nowadays (i.e. 1000+ ft.).

Also where do you get the double the size of the Empire State figure? That would make it 2500 ft. While some claim it is going to be 200 stories, most are looking for closer to 150-160 floors.

Are most of those going on to those man made islands? The pics of what it will look like are impressive :) Not so sure i would want to invest in it if its on those man-made islands.....how long before they collapse under all the additional weight?

Worse than collapsing from the weight of the structures is the crushing traffic. I've been reading stuff from people who live there, and they're starting to hate it. The islands were designed so that all of the traffic funnels into a single freeway, and what used to be a 15 minute drive to the center of Dubai is now two hours sitting in stand-still traffic.

The developments are magnificent. But they're repeating the urban planning mistakes of the West.

They were showing it on "The Fabolous Life" on the "E" Hollywood Asian channel with diaphams comparing the projected Burj Dubai height with the Taipai, Chrysler, and Empire State Buildings.

Worse than collapsing from the weight of the structures is the crushing traffic. I've been reading stuff from people who live there, and they're starting to hate it. The islands were designed so that all of the traffic funnels into a single freeway, and what used to be a 15 minute drive to the center of Dubai is now two hours sitting in stand-still traffic.

The developments are magnificent. But they're repeating the urban planning mistakes of the West.

That's a problem UAE's going to have to solve quickly if they want these projects to pull in revenue long-term...

• 2 months later...
What i don't get is the fact that Dubai's population is right at 1 million and the entire country (UAE) sits at about 4 million. How do they plan to fill all of these commercial highrises and those that are proposed?

It seems to me that these guys are WAY overbuilding.

I agree. And as much as most readers of skyscraper blogs don't want to hear it, I doubt even half of the skyscrapers planned for Dubai... not already under construction...will get built. And many of the towers completed may sit empty for years.

They were showing it on "The Fabolous Life" on the "E" Hollywood Asian channel with diaphams comparing the projected Burj Dubai height with the Taipai, Chrysler, and Empire State Buildings.

That's a problem UAE's going to have to solve quickly if they want these projects to pull in revenue long-term...

Is there mass transit in Dubai? I have not heard about a subway, light rail, or any sort of transportation system to handle the traffic from a 200 story building. If not... they really are making the same mistakes as we made in urban design in America.

• 2 months later...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/4191621.html

Check dis out. New article on the Dubai developments in this week's Chronicle. Here's a clip or two..

Dubai has the world's only seven-star hotel, its largest shopping mall, luxury housing developments so large they can be seen by the naked eye from space and soon will have the world's tallest building, which is rising quickly from the sands. The world's largest theme park is under construction

Archived