Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART)

I think DART already has updated their rail cars. They made them wheelchair accessible or something.

Yeah, I think they made them so they have platform level loading (i.e., you don't have to go up steps to get on the train car.) You know, like Houston's very first batch of cars...

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I think they made them so they have platform level loading (i.e., you don't have to go up steps to get on the train car.) You know, like Houston's very first batch of cars...

So on the new ones in Houston you have to step up?

I knew that DART upgraded to the non step up trains, but I meant a true makeover with a whole new type of train.

Why would DART need a new type of train? The older cars have been modified to make all vehicles SLRVs and the platforms are being retrofitted for better access. These trains now provide the convenience of low-floor design (ADA accessibility, bike hooks, more standing room) without compromising the speed and custom design of the original cars that are just over 10 years old.

Here's more information from the manufacturer: http://www.kinkisharyo-usa.com/dart_dallas_slrv.html

These new DART rail cars are longer, because they include a new middle section at the station platform level. Sections at the front and back of each car are still elevated and require steps for entry.

Prior to the introduction of these new cars, passengers in wheelchairs and those needing special mobility access had to use dedicated ramps at each station. These ramps required the attention of the conductor, and delayed progress by prolonging the stop.

Stations have been modified so the new cars will help streamline the boarding process, as well as increase overall capacity.

• 1 month later...

Found this pdf online from www.dart.org/cottonbeltppp and the page's summary goes like this:

Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) and Fort Worth Transportation Authority (The T) are seeking to identify individuals and firms interested in entering into a Public Private Partnership ("PPP") to design, construct, operate, maintain and finance a cross regional passenger rail service starting on or about 2013. This service shall be known as the Cotton Belt Rail Line. The service may be implemented in various segments which are detailed below and should be the same type of vehicle and operating characteristics on the entire corridor. Businesses and individuals, including developers, financial firms, construction contractors, subcontractors, engineering and design consultants, equipment suppliers and all others who are interested in this exciting opportunity are invited to become part of DART's database of interested parties and attend a public symposium on Friday, June 12, 2009, from 9:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. at Union Station, 400 South Houston St., in downtown Dallas (DART Union Station).

The other things I found interesting:

A full schedule concept:

• 20-minute peak period service headways in each direction
  • 60-minute off-peak period service headways in each direction
  • 60-90 minute service headways on Saturdays and Sundays
  • Weekday service span of 5 AM to midnight
  • Weekend service span of 7 AM to midnight

(it might have been mention on here already)

A pretty photoshop job of Austin's Stadler GTW for their new MetroRail turned Cotton Belt with DART colors:

dartstadlergtw.jpg

And the first map I've seen with stations listed:

mapyrr.png

And it's all found from this pdf from DART.

It will be interesting to see if the Public-Private Partnership works out to speed up construction of this line. NCTCOG is still arguing about where to place the DFW station so that it can be served best by the 3 rail lines, but that decision will be made very soon.

I have a question that may sound stupid. Can light rail, particularly DART light rail, be converted into heavy rail in the future? Has this ever been done with other systems? Am I the first to think of this?

Also, does anyone have the original DART heavy rail plans. They were old newspaper clippings.

A transit blogger! Ride the train up and back and write stories while you text your friends and try to talk them into buying your lunch.

a tweet has to be there somewhere.

Alas, Niche has got dibs on any cool new jobs.

i wouldn't want to punish niche with the press. i'm thinkin he's going to be the lead tac0 vendor on the east side.

Shhh. Don't give away the secrets. He might stop posting those award winning posts of his.

Why would I do that? Even if light rail can convert to heavy rail, Houston's will never be able to because its located on the streets. Even more reason for me to continue my award winning post. Hah! take that! LOL

Why would I do that? Even if light rail can convert to heavy rail, Houston's will never be able to because its located on the streets. Even more reason for me to continue my award winning post. Hah! take that! LOL

Son, light rail can't be converted to heavy rail. You would have to rebuild everything.

A transit blogger! Ride the train up and back and write stories while you text your friends and try to talk them into buying your lunch.

Alas, Niche has got dibs on any cool new jobs.

You can have this one. I wouldn't know hip if it were attached to my leg.

Son, light rail can't be converted to heavy rail. You would have to rebuild everything.

Actually, you could convert "light rail" to "heavy rail". At least you could in the way citykid is thinking of it. The tracks are the same. The weight they can carry is the same. The only difference would be that "light rail" is usually electric, and "heavy rail" is usually diesel electric.

The bigger problem is what the definition of light rail and heavy rail is. In spite of citykid's belief to the contrary, light rail does not weigh less than heavy rail. Often, the toy trains weigh more than the heavy rail trains, since they are self contained engine and passenger car units. The difference is in how the trains are used. Heavy rail denotes those trains used for commuter rail lines. They travel longer distances between stops and longer distances overall. Light rail simply denotes those trains used in the inner city. They stop more frequently, have tighter a turning radius, and generally have a top speed slightly lower than commuter or heavy rail trains, since they don't travel as far. They are also shorter than heavy rail trains, making them a lower capacity. This is made up by running them more frequently. Light rail could just as easily be called 'City Rail', and heavy rail could be called 'Commuter Rail'.

Subways have nothing to do with it. Light rail trains can use a subway, just as a heavy rail train can. Electric power is not a determinator either. Electric trains are great for light rail, but are often used for commuter trains as well. Diesel engines can be used in light rail also, but are normally seen on commuter lines or "heavy rail". So, DART could convert to heavy rail. The real question is, why would they do something so stupid? I suppose the other real question is, will citykid ever look up the definitions of light rail and heavy rail, and use the terms correctly? After 5 years, I kinda doubt it.

One of the DART lines in the Plano area is an abandoned heavy rail. But I think they TORE IT UP before installing LRT.

It was formerly a freight rail line, not an already-developed heavy rail commuter rail route. I don't know what the condition of the tracks were; it's entirely possible that extensive repairs would've been necessary. Also, the cost of implementing light rail in its own right of way is considerably lower per mile than it is when light rail requires the reconstruction of streets, storm sewers, and various other utilities.

It's too bad Houston paved over its old freight rail lines with concrete.

Only one, actually. I guess you could count the ones we used for bike trails if you really want, but the rights of way are still very intact, and I suspect will one day may be used again for commuter rail or other purposes.

• 1 month later...

I really like this picture. It makes Dallas look like a huge urban city.

baylorambrose.jpg

By the way, this is my first post since the HAIF HD upgrade. I like the changes, but I will have to get use to it.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dallas may have downtown streetcar line within 5 years

09:44 PM CDT on Tuesday, October 13, 2009

By RUDOLPH BUSH / The Dallas Morning News

rbush@dallasnews.com

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/101409dnmetstreetcar.3ae3c36.html?ocp=3#slcgm_comments_anchor

Dallas could have a downtown streetcar system up and running within five years if an ambitious plan being hashed out at City Hall becomes reality.

City Hall still hopes to build the line with the help of federal and state funds. But many City Council members appear ready to have Dallas go it alone, likely by issuing tens of millions of dollars in bonds backed by anticipated growth in downtown property tax revenues.

"That's exactly what we're investigating now. We have to figure out the route, the cost and the physical challenges. Then we have to figure out what level of development each [proposed] route will support so we understand the possible bond funding," said council member Angela Hunt, whose downtown district would include the streetcar line.

Under the plan, the bonds could fund construction of the line even as taxes from rising property values helped fund its operation.

It is unclear at this point, however, whether the city can raise enough bond money for the cost of building the line or whether it will have to seek outside funding to fill in the gap that city money can't cover.

Linda Koop, chairman of the council's transportation committee, appeared confident the funding question will be answered in a matter of months and the council can begin the process of ordering Dallas' streetcars.

"We're hoping to have it up and running in 4 ½ years," Koop said.

Koop estimated the cost of building a downtown streetcar line at around $80 million, a preliminary figure that surely will change as details of the project are set.

Hunt said Dallas is in discussions with Fort Worth, where a streetcar system is also in the works, to purchase cars with similar designs in an effort to minimize costs.

At a meeting of the transportation committee Monday, council members hashed out how financing might work for the proposed line.

It appears it would rely heavily on two funding sources: tax increment financing and public improvement district dollars.

Council members expect a streetcar line would significantly improve property values around its stops.

Additional tax revenue from growing values could be devoted to paying off bonds sold to fund the line.

Though the city would own the line, it is expected that DART will oversee its construction and operation and have a say in its governance through seats on a board of directors established specifically for the line.

While focus at City Hall is now on the downtown streetcar line, there is also movement to create a master plan to expand lines through downtown's adjoining neighborhoods.

Koop is working to form committees for five districts around downtown to study possible routes and financing for an expanded streetcar system.

The committees will include a council member and representatives from businesses and neighborhoods in the corridors.

Archived