Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART)

Now that most of the system is built (a few key remaining projects are nearing completion), DART needs to shift its attention from being a Builder (engineers & construction managers) to being an Operator (customer service & service optimization)

There have been a few signs that this transition is occurring (e.g. bus/train locator on cell phones), but to be successful, they have to do a lot more work to make the service appealing to new potential users.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DART's Orange line opened to Irving/Las Colinas today. The next extension to DFW Airport property opens in December, followed by direct rail service to the airport's terminals in 2014.

http://www.nbcdfw.co...-164247146.html

University of Dallas Station:

udlrt4_preview.jpg

Las Colinas Urban Center Station:

lcuc2_preview.jpg

Irving Convention Center Station:

icc2_preview.jpg

From DART Image Library: http://www.dart.org/...magelibrary.asp

TVMMapjul12.gif

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That's cool for Dallas. I want to hate on big D as an adopted Houstonian I like it here so much more... but this is just gravy at this point for DART maybe they are looking at McKinney Ave Trolley and thinking today people for some reason like to ride an old trolley car even in a car obsessed city like Dallas.

Yes, Oak Cliff is not Uptown but it's pretty funky and gentrifying quickly. I have a friend who's mom lives there after 75 years and she said the new "white influx" is extremely strange.. From her mouth: when a white man used to come to my door it was either police or a bill collector; now I don't answer as it's another person trying to low-ball me for my house.

I think it is more like "hope people for some reason like to ride an old trolley car even in a car obsessed city like Dallas." DART ridership is cratering, even as they open new lines. It has 85 miles of track, but ridership is barely over 70,000 per day. There is no reason to think a trolley in Oak Cliff will cure the light rail system's woes, though it might be nice for the people who live within a few blocks of it. And, to make matters worse, the federal money for the trolley was money that was going to be used to connect Love Field to the light rail system. So, instead of a useful rail/airport connector, They get a cute trolley in a historic district. That's kinda like cheering for a single when you needed a home run.

Archived