Houston Pavilions Vs. Bayou Place

Dream

I think Bayou Place will do fine since it has a movie theater... as along as HP doesn't open one up... which it's now looking like they won't. HP is going to be much bigger and attract many more people I think... but I still believe Bayou Place will do fine with it's movie theather, Verizon theater and all of the restaraunts they have there. It would be fun to go shopping and get dinner at HP then walk over to Bayou Place to catch a movie. B)

Surely you jest! :lol:

No... I am serious... I know it seems... well, unimaginable... but it's something we used to do in the Northeast all the time... like in Philly and NYC. You actually go from point A to point B by walking using your legs and feet! It's great... you don't have to get in your car.. you don't have to use gas... you get a little bit of excercise (great especially for you fatties out there)... it's a win win situation!! :D:rolleyes:

No... I am serious... I know it seems... well, unimaginable... but it's something we used to do in the Northeast all the time... like in Philly and NYC. You actually go from point A to point B by walking using your legs and feet! It's great... you don't have to get in your car.. you don't have to use gas... you get a little bit of excercise (great especially for you fatties out there)... it's a win win situation!! :D:rolleyes:

Er, walk from Bayou Place to HP (isn't it going to be near the Toyota Center?) AND back? After dark? :unsure:

Sorry, no.

No... I am serious...

No, he can't be. Perposterous.

I know it seems...

...like a load of equine feces...

well, unimaginable... but it's something we used to do in the Northeast all the time...

...on planet Mars.

... like in Philly and NYC.

...little green men.

You actually go from point A to point B by walking using your legs and feet!

...tires and concrete!

It's great...

It sucks!

you don't have to get in your car.. you don't have to use gas...

...my head hurts!

you get a little bit of excercise (great especially for you fatties out there)...

LACTIC ACID!

it's a win win situation!! :D:rolleyes:

no no. bad. bad.

[/EndNonsense]

Walking sounds great to me - it's not that far. I used to walk for miles when I lived in Montreal. I didn't even own a car! I kind of miss walking places...

I went to a movie at Angelica on Friday (Grindhouse), and walked to an irish pub on main street. I was only a few blocks from main street square and Houston pavilions is only a few blocks past that.. right? or is it farther than I imagine? Anybody who knows more about the project than me want to do a google maps pedometer of the route? http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Right now the walk seems kind of scary because there's nothing really between main street square and the HP site therefore the streets are pretty empty I am guessing, but imagine if there were people out on the streets walking with you, it wouldn't be so bad!

Walking sounds great to me - it's not that far. I used to walk for miles when I lived in Montreal. I didn't even own a car! I kind of miss walking places...

I went to a movie at Angelica on Friday (Grindhouse), and walked to an irish pub on main street. I was only a few blocks from main street square and Houston pavilions is only a few blocks past that.. right? or is it farther than I imagine? Anybody who knows more about the project than me want to do a google maps pedometer of the route? http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Right now the walk seems kind of scary because there's nothing really between main street square and the HP site therefore the streets are pretty empty I am guessing, but imagine if there were people out on the streets walking with you, it wouldn't be so bad!

It's always shocked me how people down here are so afraid of walking a few blocks. When I lived in philly we would always walk several blocks from one place to another... it's how you got around. It will definitely seem like a nicer walk when there's more stuff going on Downtown.

I guess I meant the areas with the bars and clubs. Areas where there are people around, as opposed to the area south of main street square where there isn't much of anything going on.

Along main street there were lots of people around the last few evenings I've been there, sitting out on the patios at a few bars (the Flying Saucer, a few Irish pubs that I forget the names of), waiting in lines at clubs, walking between venues, etc. I'm relatively new to Houston so I forget the street names but there are actually restaurants, bars, and clubs on main street which seem relatively popular, at least the last few times when I was there. It was nice the last few times I was downtown to actually see people in the streets at night.

What I mean is that since most of the walk is through the part of main street that is active at night, and the theater district which is active as well, it wouldn't seem so scary to walk between HP and the Angelica Theater.

Also further North on main (towards U of H) from where I just mentioned seems pretty active at night with Mia Bella restaurant and Cabo and a bunch of other places where you see people sitting outside and walking around.

Here is the walk I was talking about, from Angelica to HP: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=864377

Maybe the "popular' part of main street is more to the North actually... but I hope you get my point that the walk would not be too bad.

Maybe the "popular' part of main street is more to the North actually... but I hope you get my point that the walk would not be too bad.

I don't think i'd walk that far, particularly if i'd have to walk back and get my car. i walk from macy's to market square only if my timing is bad to catch the train.

I imagine the realization is when they build these venues, they dont care how we get to and from them as long as we patronize them. There are so many things to account for ie; age groups that will visit.

A younger crowd won't mind walking long distances (until their girlfriends start complaining). The middle-aged group believes in getting around in style so short cab drives are in order (good luck). The more refined senior group is pretty much left out as they surely arent walking so much or cant. Thats a whole new topic how we totally leave out the seniors chance to enjoy DT venues, shame on us.

Anyway you get the jist of this no one is ever happy. Another thing to remember is walking to pubs is alright while your sober, wait until a few brewskies and the thought of walking aaaalllllllll that way back will seem hellish. Maybe someone will come up with the idea of having people with scooters to whisk you back? That would be hilarious. I would use grocery carts to toss people in like in Animal House charge a fee.

You ride the train from Macy's to get to Market Square?

Man, that is LA-ZY.

There are quite a few of us LA-ZY people down here then. most drive BTW.

At night....well the situation becomes a challenge at times. the comfort factor drops.

• 2 weeks later...
Downtown can be intimidating to most people. I actually think that these types of questions are good. Obviously, people can drive, walk, or ride light rail between these locations or others. I do believe that Bayou Place will still be a bit more of a challenge to get to than Houston Pavilions which will be more of a front/center type of location located on the rail and much more easily accessible. Also while in my opinion Bayou Place aspires to be considered to be similar I don't think it is a fair comparison. It's almost like relocating the Galleria Mall downtown and then comparing it to the Sakowitz building (or a small retail type of building) and then asking which one is better ? They are really two different types of animals.

• The title was changed to Houston Pavilions Vs. Bayou Place
  • The title was changed to Houston Pavilions Vs. Bayou Place

Archived