Campanile East: Office With Retail At 4203 Montrose Blvd.

Guest danax

Saw the billboard rendering of this project the other day as I was exiting the Montrose branch library. What a relief that they've chosen to retain the Watkin house!

btw, the other buildings currently on that block are no great shakes. While it may intrude visually on the neighborhood to the east, at least not much of architectural value will be razed.

Nancy Sarnoff story about it:

March 18, 2006, 7:30PM

Playful Montrose home to new office project

1920s red brick home will serve as west entrance for the site

By NANCY SARNOFF

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The Montrose neighborhood is known mostly for its eclectic restaurants, bohemian coffee shops and gritty bars. But a bubbling office market in this hip part of the city has one developer, firmly rooted in the community, putting up another building for those who work where they play.

The six-story, 55,000-square-foot property will be developed this year on a parcel of land across Colquitt from Hansen's Clock Tower Building, 4119 Montrose.

The buildings are part of the Campanile campus, which will include five properties when the new one is finished in January.

Located at 4203 Montrose, the new building will be connected to a historic red brick home that fronts the boulevard.

The 1920 home, which was designed by William Ward Watkin, will serve as the western entrance to the project.

Before construction begins, the company will start a 250-car parking garage across the street to serve the new building and the Clock Tower property.

John Andell, vice president of John Hansen Investment Builder, said there's a healthy demand for space in Montrose from small businesses such as architects, attorneys or investment firms serving clients located downtown and near the Medical Center.

The Montrose office market has an 8 percent vacancy rate, according to year-end statistics from Cushman & Wakefield's.

In comparison, downtown had a 21 percent hole at the end of 2005.

Andell said demand was strong for the Clock Tower building, which was completed in 2003.

"It went extremely fast," said Andell, who said leases already are being signed for the new space. "It's also a great area. The anchors are The Menil Foundation, the University of St. Thomas, Rice University and the museums, so you'll always have a city interest in this particular area.

Link to Houston Chronicle article

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
It is simple, but at least it has some architectural value, instead of just a glass building.

next time i'm in that hood i'll have to check it out again..i thought it was fake stucco or something similar. now the house across the side street has architectural value. BTW glass buildings do have architectural value too.

Edited by musicman

Maybe someone could take a snapshot. The latest construction photo on their website still shows the building w/ only it's frame; no stucco.

on the website you posted in post 7 it has finished pics of the exterior.

Edited by musicman

on the website you posted in post 7 it has finished pics of the exterior.

It does? I must be looking at something different. Included in all the photos is a five story building with a steeple type deal on one of the corners of it. But the last page of photos shows an incomplete steal framed building. I thought the unfinished one was going to be the building in the rendering? I wish the dumb thing wasn't Flash so I could post the picture.

It does? I must be looking at something different. Included in all the photos is a five story building with a steeple type deal on one of the corners of it. But the last page of photos shows an incomplete steal framed building. I thought the unfinished one was going to be the building in the rendering? I wish the dumb thing wasn't Flash so I could post the picture.

the building is done. that is the building.

Well, I'll take your word for it.

It's just weird that all those photos show the development phases of a parking garage and then the construction of another building across the street. Plus, the rendering shows a home next to the building on the corner, just like the incomplete building going up now. I guess renderings and the finished product don't always look the exact same.

Oh well. That completed building looks kind of cool to me. But y'all have seen it up close.

Well, I'll take your word for it.

It's just weird that all those photos show the development phases of a parking garage and then the construction of another building across the street. Plus, the rendering shows a home next to the building on the corner, just like the incomplete building going up now. I guess renderings and the finished product don't always look the exact same.

Oh well. That completed building looks kind of cool to me. But y'all have seen it up close.

No, no...that steeple building was already there. You were right - the framed, incomplete building is the one in the renderings. It's been finished for a while now...I drive by it every day. I didn't see any exterior photos of the completed structure, either

BTW, the completed structure looks just like those renderings....from what I can tell, anyway. I'm no architect, either, but it looks OK to me

Edited by OkieEric

BTW, the completed structure looks just like those renderings....from what I can tell, anyway. I'm no architect, either, but it looks OK to me

It seems the major complaint so far is the stucco finish. Do those who don't like it just not like stucco in general or just the way it was done w/ this particualr buidling?

Stucco is ok, but I don't like going out to the west coast much just b/c it gives the cities a faux feeling. I don't like that feeling.

• The title was changed to Montrose Office Building Planned
  • The title was changed to Campanile East: Office With Retail At 4203 Montrose Blvd.