METRORail Turns 20

editor

METRORail rolled into its 20th year in 2024, marking two decades of transforming the Houston landscape and connecting communities. Since its 2004 launch, the METRORail Red Line, followed by the Green and Purple lines in 2015, have collectively clocked over 257 million rides, weaving a transportation network across 23 miles of track.

https://www.ridemetro.org/newsletters/metro-connections/2024/January/two-decades-on-track-metro-celebrates-20-years-moving-houston

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfastx said:

The original Red Line was unquestionably a major success, but the lack of expansion westward to Houston's more dense communities 20 years and counting later is a failure. 

Agreed.  From what I've heard, the problem is mostly the neighborhood groups opposing trains down the main east-west streets.  Is that true?

Maybe now that there are noises about Allen Parkway being pedestrianized, the train could go down there, then north and south along Shepherd.  It's not much, but it would be a start.

Considering the perceived temperament of people in the Heights, I'm really surprised they haven't been clamoring for light rail.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, editor said:

Maybe now that there are noises about Allen Parkway being pedestrianized, the train could go down there, then north and south along Shepherd.  It's not much, but it would be a start.

Considering the perceived temperament of people in the Heights, I'm really surprised they haven't been clamoring for light rail.

I live in the Heights and would love this, but I am worried the new mayor might shoot it down.

From what I remember, METRO considered extending the green/purple line down Washington to Heights/Yale but axed it cause it was too late in the planning process. It's a shame too, cause it could've spurred more development for Washington and served as a feeder for the planned Inner Katy BRT. I would love to have a subway run down Westheimer but that's never gonna happen. :(

Here's to hoping we see rail west of I-45 someday, even if it's to the Courthouse.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Some one said:

From what I remember, METRO considered extending the green/purple line down Washington to Heights/Yale but axed it cause it was too late in the planning process. It's a shame too, cause it could've spurred more development for Washington and served as a feeder for the planned Inner Katy BRT. I would love to have a subway run down Westheimer but that's never gonna happen. :(

Here's to hoping we see rail west of I-45 someday, even if it's to the Courthouse.

In the Houston world of make believe, the high speed rail between Houston and Dallas would have a station somewhere around the 610/Hemstead Rd. area and then a light rail line would connect to downtown either via the existing rail line that we all get stuck behind around Center St. and Heights or a line that would go down Washington Ave.  It might actually not be make believe given that Lizzie Fletcher took Culberson's seat and might actually get fed dollars instead of opposing it.  But G. Abbott would probably get the legislature to pass a ban on local governments building light rail lines just to own the libs.  

23 hours ago, editor said:

Agreed.  From what I've heard, the problem is mostly the neighborhood groups opposing trains down the main east-west streets.  Is that true?

I think it's mostly a few prominent developers lobbying one certain Congressman (Culberson) into opposition which blocked the University Line. 

Still, for METRO to have only attempted to build one East-West line is a planning failure IMO. Westheimer is the single most low hanging fruit for rail in entire Houston area and my entire life there hasn't even been a whisper of a proposal to do that. Obviously it would have to be a subway especially east of Kirby but it makes too much sense. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, mfastx said:

I think it's mostly a few prominent developers lobbying one certain Congressman (Culberson) into opposition which blocked the University Line. 

Still, for METRO to have only attempted to build one East-West line is a planning failure IMO. Westheimer is the single most low hanging fruit for rail in entire Houston area and my entire life there hasn't even been a whisper of a proposal to do that. Obviously it would have to be a subway especially east of Kirby but it makes too much sense. 

My understanding is that Westheimer is off-limits because it is a Farm-to-Market, so TXDoT controls the ROW. Would love to be wrong about that.

Still, there should be a tram on Westheimer and protected-lane rapid lines on Richmond and Dallas/Shepherd/San Felipe.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 004n063 said:

My understanding is that Westheimer is off-limits because it is a Farm-to-Market, so TXDoT controls the ROW. Would love to be wrong about that.

Still, there should be a tram on Westheimer and protected-lane rapid lines on Richmond and Dallas/Shepherd/San Felipe.

I think the FM designation on Westheimer is only the portion outside the Loop.

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2024 at 6:08 PM, 004n063 said:

Is there any way to transfer it to city control, or else convince the state to allow light rail on it?

15 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I think the FM designation on Westheimer is only the portion outside the Loop.

Well, then! Sounds like we need us a Lower 82 LRT line! How bout Yellow?

(In these Whitmired times, I've decided to lean into a delusional optimism, so please just let me have this.)

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2024 at 5:38 AM, 004n063 said:

Well, then! Sounds like we need us a Lower 82 LRT line! How bout Yellow?

(In these Whitmired times, I've decided to lean into a delusional optimism, so please just let me have this.)

Here's my delusional optimism: A rail line from Bush airport to downtown to Hobby airport to the Port of Galveston.

Each year, hundreds of thousands of people spend millions of dollars on charter bus rides from Houston's airports to the cruise port.  Or, in my case, $130 each way in a Lyft.  

The fact that the cruise lines have had to bend over backwards to set up these bus services shows there is a demand, and then the locals can also benefit from the new routes.

• Like 6

Nothing is truly off-limits.  All it takes is political will.  Enough people have to convince a state legislator to write an amendment to the prohibition.  Far greater feats of political gymnastics are performed in Austin every day.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, editor said:

Here's my delusional optimism: A rail line from Bush airport to downtown to Hobby airport to the Port of Galveston.

Each year, hundreds of thousands of people spend millions of dollars on charter bus rides from Houston's airports to the cruise port.  Or, in my case, $130 each way in a Lyft.  

The fact that the cruise lines have had to bend over backwards to set up these bus services shows there is a demand, and then the locals can also benefit from the new routes.

You might want to see my comments in the "Train from Houston to Galveston" thread, starting here.

52 minutes ago, editor said:

Nothing is truly off-limits.  All it takes is political will.  Enough people have to convince a state legislator to write an amendment to the prohibition.  Far greater feats of political gymnastics are performed in Austin every day.

Westheimer being TXDoT controlled ROW should not eliminate the possibility of rail or other high-capacity transit in the corridor, and I doubt there is any "prohibition" that needs to be amended.  TXDoT also controls the freeway ROWs and Metro has worked with them and is working with them to build HOV lanes and BRT structures.

• Like 3

In my ideal world, I'd convert Westheimer into a multimodal corridor west of 610. Take the outer two lanes and convert them to bus and bike lanes. East of 610 would be a little more challenging but this is under the assumption that the Westheimer road diet already happened. Then I'd have an elevated rail running on Westheimer between West Oak and 610. Then it transitions to a subway east of 610, with two branches: One to downtown following the 82 and one to UH/Eastwood Transit Center following Elgin/Lockwood (interlining with the University BRT). I'd maybe even extend it south from West Oak and have it connect to the (hypothetical) Westpark Commuter Rail, running from Fulshear to Uptown TC, at Mission Bend P&R.

It's fun to play make-believe sometimes. 😁

2 hours ago, editor said:

Or a rail line down Hardy that connects to the IAH BRT near Greenspoint and a rail line from Burnett TC down Highway 3 to Galveston, with the Purple/Green Line being extended from Hobby Airport (Future terminus) to SH 3 via Airport/College in South Houston (or even beyond that to Pasadena/La Porte).

Adding onto your delusional optimism.

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

Westheimer being TXDoT controlled ROW should not eliminate the possibility of rail or other high-capacity transit in the corridor, and I doubt there is any "prohibition" that needs to be amended.  TXDoT also controls the freeway ROWs and Metro has worked with them and is working with them to build HOV lanes and BRT structures.

I think it's less that TXDOT isn't open to the idea of rail/high-capacity transit on Westheimer, and more so that they're not open to any transit that reduces the amount of lanes on Westheimer.

Edited by Some one
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ehbowen said:

You might want to see my comments in the "Train from Houston to Galveston" thread, starting here.

Unless the operator builds its own lines, commuter rail in any capacity is likely going to be a tough sell. 

Just minutes ago, UP reps stated the company has ruled out granting the trackage rights needed for the so-called 90-A commuter rail from Houston to Fort Bend County. The study for that commuter rail project utilized UP Glidden Subdivision for a portion of the route. 

us90a

With the recent the changes to the Texas Transportation Code outlined in the other thread, the GCRD can now utilize BRT or light rail on a roadway. So the line isn't dead, per se, but commuter rail using an existing freight rail line is off the table unless the freight rail operator who owns the line has a change of heart. 

Edited by JClark54

For the Amtrak aficionados in this forum, the future of a portion of Amtrak's current route from Houston to New Orleans and Mobile will be discussed tomorrow.

Line owners along the route (CSX, Norfolk Southern, UP, and the Port of Mobile) and Amtrak have asked regulators to determine what exactly the line owners who've granted trackage rights to Amtrak are responsible for. Amtrak's position is it entered into trackage rights agreements in good faith, but freight rail operators' decision to block main lines for prolonged periods means on-time arrival is impossible. Thus, these agreements are untenable. Freight rail, on the other hand, has argued they shouldn't have to change their operating practices nor should Amtrak be let off the hook for payment. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 004n063 said:

I think that's the presupposition we are all fantasizing about.

Ah, OK.

The comment I responded to included a link (https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/13844-train-from-houston-to-galveston/page/4/#comment-685698) to a thread about a route utilizing the UP/BSNF West Belt and BNSF Galveston Sub to reach the island. 

Edited by JClark54

On 2/13/2024 at 3:03 PM, JClark54 said:

Just minutes ago, UP reps stated the company has ruled out granting the trackage rights needed for the so-called 90-A commuter rail from Houston to Fort Bend County. The study for that commuter rail project utilized UP Glidden Subdivision for a portion of the route. 

I can see why trackage rights aren't an option, considering the massive demand for freight transport these days.  A lot of these railroads seem to be operating at capacity, and some over capacity, which is causing all kinds of problems around the country.

Perhaps what has to be pursued in this case isn't track rights, but right-of-way augmentation.  There are places where freight and passenger rail share the roadbed, but use different tracks.  

• Like 2