Kate Cox Case

mattyt36

Kate Cox is 31 year old pregnant Dallas woman whose fetus has been diagnosed with Trisomy 18 and has no chance of survival. She sued the State and was granted a restraining order to be allowed to have an abortion for what can only he described as humanitarian causes. Ken Paxton’s response? Send a letter threatening anyone who even comes close to her during the process with criminal prosecution, including a letter to Houston Methodist, which I can only presume means had agreed to performing the procedure, further confirming Ken Paxton is a special brand of special that can be described only as categorically evil.

I have zero idea why State politics continue to overcompensate to allow individuals with zero common sense, nevermind empathy, run the place. These moral degenerates need to be shown the door before they screw us all.  Even if Ken Paxton’s religious views justify his reasoning (I highly doubt they do, as the guy is transparently an awful person, so whatever religion he subscribes to can’t be the same one in which I was brought up), they should—and objectively so—have zero bearing over the particulars of Kate Cox’s case.

A new level of embarrassment for the State to have this transparent criminal threaten charges against people who are trying to handle the situation with some degree of humanity.

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

I have zero idea why State politics continue to overcompensate to allow individuals with zero common sense, nevermind empathy, run the place.

I do.  Money.

Taking very public stands on moral issues that get you national attention is a way for politicians to attract in-state, out-of-state, and overseas donors for their next campaign so they don't have to get a real job.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

she can always drive to New Mexico.
or get a second opinion. I trust doctors about as far as I can throw them these days

What is that supposed to mean? And why are you distrusting of doctors?

• Thanks 1

I don’t know what leg the AG thinks he can stand on here because from what it sounds like, her case falls under the life/substantial bodily harm exception (because of the likely impact to her fertility). It seems fairly cut and dry to me. What a tragic situation for her and her family…

• The topic was pinned
10 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

she can always drive to New Mexico.
or get a second opinion. I trust doctors about as far as I can throw them these days

If she drives to New Mexico, or elsewhere, and has the abortion then she risks losing standing in the case.  The Texas Supreme Court already has a similar case in front of it and the state is arguing against the plaintiffs standing as their pregnancies have already ended one way or the other.  Interestingly, Paxton has already appealed this case to the Texas Supreme Court and asked them to expedite it.  Perhaps he's overplaying his hand or he thinks her standing won't matter.  Either the court is going to have to clarify what constitutes exceptions to the law.

Edited by august948

Did anyone else notice the weird grammar and spelling mistakes on the threatening letter to the Houston hospitals? You would think professional correspondence would be better worded.  Embarrassing.

- The Methodist Hospital does not exist.  The proper business name is Houston Methodist, or Houston Methodist Hospital.

- The Women's Hospital of Texas is spelled wrong. The business name is The Woman's Hospital of Texas.

- It's not Texas Childrens Hospital. The business name includes an apostrophe. Texas Children's Hospital.

fsVEe9e.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/9/2023 at 5:58 PM, Highrise Tower said:

Did anyone else notice the weird grammar and spelling mistakes on the threatening letter to the Houston hospitals? You would think professional correspondence would be better worded.  Embarrassing.

It's Ken Paxton. "Embarrassing" is on-brand for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

https://themessenger.com/politics/kate-cox-texas-woman-at-center-of-abortion-case-leaves-state-to-terminate-pregnancy-legally

"Kate Cox, the 31-year-old Texas woman at the center of an unprecedented challenge to the state’s restrictive abortion ban has left the state to terminate her pregnancy legally.

Nancy Northup, the president and CEO of the Center for Reproductive Rights, the group representing the woman, confirmed the news and said Cox’s “health is on the line.” 

"She’s been in and out of the emergency room and she couldn’t wait any longer.”

It is not clear where Cox went to terminate the pregnancy."

• Like 1