Williams On Commerce Townhomes

• The title was changed to Williams On Commerce Townhomes

I'm a nearby property owner and I got the Public Hearing Notice. Here's what I can summarize:

"the applicant proposes to replat lots 3,4, 14, 21, 24, 27, and 30 of Williams on Commerce, single family residential plat recorded in 2017, in order to build 7 more units than the original plat allows.

Then it references local government code 212.015 and Houston Code or Ordnance Chapter 42.

Basically the new lots don't meet the minimum lot size and width per the city codes, and they're seeking a variance so they can build them.  7 more units than the original plat allows though? Seems like a bit much.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EaDolivin said:

I'm a nearby property owner and I got the Public Hearing Notice. Here's what I can summarize:

"the applicant proposes to replat lots 3,4, 14, 21, 24, 27, and 30 of Williams on Commerce, single family residential plat recorded in 2017, in order to build 7 more units than the original plat allows.

Then it references local government code 212.015 and Houston Code or Ordnance Chapter 42.

Basically the new lots don't meet the minimum lot size and width per the city codes, and they're seeking a variance so they can build them.  7 more units than the original plat allows though? Seems like a bit much.

I'm noticing that some of the plats are bigger than the houses they have initially built (for ex plats 15-19 in the photo above). I wonder if their original idea was to work up to larger, more expensive houses but with interest rates higher they want to instead sell more smaller ones instead.

Side note, I toured one of the existing houses a while ago. They are SKINNY. Its basically enough width to fit one car and a stairwell.

1 hour ago, sapo2367 said:

I'm noticing that some of the plats are bigger than the houses they have initially built (for ex plats 15-19 in the photo above). I wonder if their original idea was to work up to larger, more expensive houses but with interest rates higher they want to instead sell more smaller ones instead.

Side note, I toured one of the existing houses a while ago. They are SKINNY. Its basically enough width to fit one car and a stairwell.

That makes sense what they're trying to do (make money), but to me the area doesn't justify that kind of density. Also a bunch of those houses were finished in the 2020/2021 timeframe and they left the other lots empty. I thought that was odd. They missed the window on building out the rest of the townhomes while rates were down and prices were up.

3 hours ago, sapo2367 said:

Yes. They are two cars deep, but only 1 car wide. Very interesting layout, I know some folks living in them.

On 8/25/2023 at 1:44 PM, EaDolivin said:

That makes sense what they're trying to do (make money), but to me the area doesn't justify that kind of density. Also a bunch of those houses were finished in the 2020/2021 timeframe and they left the other lots empty. I thought that was odd. They missed the window on building out the rest of the townhomes while rates were down and prices were up.

The city, via Livable Places, is on the precipice of increasing our density requirements from 27 dwelling units per acre to 32. This subdivision was originally platted at 26.34 and they asked the planning commission to grant them a higher density and split a few of their larger lots. Generally, lots are allowed to be as low as 20' wide, but with lot width averaging you can bring it down to 18' average. Lots 14 and 24 were originally 32' wide and they are dividing them into 2 16' wide lots each. Original lots 3 and 4 were 35' wide each and are now 2 17' wide lots. 

So some of the new ones will actually be even skinnier.

HOWEVER, where else would we want ultra dense housing? It is arguably walkable to downtown, a bike lane is going in on Commerce, there are commercial uses close by, the Canal bus is at the end of the block, etc. 

And these will likely end up being the lowest cost new builds in the neighborhood. New housing = new neighbors = good. 

I know that you mentioned you are a directly nearby neighbor (I'm about 1.5 miles east of here, but I do ride my bike down Commerce most days), but I don't think a few extra townhomes on this parcel will make that much of a difference. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...