George Lange & Co. Cameras At 6630 South Main St.

Highrise Tower

Very cool! I have never even heard of this business.  Love finding cool, old, businesses in Houston.

I found this in Rice University's yearbook called The Campanile dated 1966.

Does anyone remember this place?

Photographic Systems and Materials for Science and Research, Architecture, Fine Arts.

George Lange & Co. Cameras

6630 South Main St. - Houston, Texas 77025 - JA 6-4311

8Tks3Fb.jpg

MEJtgHD.jpg

• Like 1

I was thinking I remembered a camera shop along there - not the name though as I never went there.  I don't remember the Piggly Wiggly or Ship Ahoy but I do remember a tobacco shop - The Brier Shop(pe) (or Ye Olde...) in the 70s.  I might have been once or twice in the 60s when I was in town and it might have been in the next block north.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, brucesw said:

I was thinking I remembered a camera shop along there - not the name though as I never went there.  I don't remember the Piggly Wiggly or Ship Ahoy but I do remember a tobacco shop - The Brier Shop(pe) (or Ye Olde...) in the 70s.  I might have been once or twice in the 60s when I was in town and it might have been in the next block north.

The Briar Shoppe was in that center. Ship Ahoy became Cathay House by the 70s, maybe you remember that. Piggly Wiggly was long gone by then, IIRC its space was occupied by an auction house.

• Like 2

Interesting how that part of Main Street was considered "South Main" in those days.  My mom used to always refer to the old Sears on Main and Wheeler (now ION Building) as "Sears on South Main" while my dad would just say "Sears AND ROEBUCK", ..  Still even further up Main there was South Main Bank, between Anita and Rosalie, (now the sight of Dave Ward/Crime Stoppers Building).  I believe it was a Wells Fargo Bank before being demolished about 8 years ago.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, EspersonBuildings said:

Interesting how that part of Main Street was considered "South Main" in those days. 

I've been tripped up by this a few times when using Google Maps to look up an old address, only to be directed to one reflecting the current definition of "South Main" that's several miles away from the address I was actually looking for

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 9:22 AM, EspersonBuildings said:

Interesting how that part of Main Street was considered "South Main" in those days.  My mom used to always refer to the old Sears on Main and Wheeler (now ION Building) as "Sears on South Main" while my dad would just say "Sears AND ROEBUCK", ..  Still even further up Main there was South Main Bank, between Anita and Rosalie, (now the sight of Dave Ward/Crime Stoppers Building).  I believe it was a Wells Fargo Bank before being demolished about 8 years ago.

I used South Main Bank from the late 70's to the mid-80's. It was one of the cheapest banks in town at the time(all banks had service charges then) at 50 cents per month and 10 cents per check. That was before Texas allowed the big national banks to operate here, and before branch banking was allowed.

• Like 1