The Church Of St. John The Divine On Westheimer Rd.

Highrise Tower

Does anyone know about this? I believe I found a small church on the corner of Post Oak at Westheimer!

I went onto their website and their "about us" page mentions: Founded in 1939, The Church of St. John the Divine is a vibrant congregation dedicated to Changing Lives for God in Christ.

Was this the original location before they moved to 2450 River Oaks Blvd?  Cool find!!

From the newspaper Southwestern Times dated July 5, 1951 :

Wright Graduates from Baylor Med With High Honors

Graduating from Baylor Medical College with high honors, Bob Wright of 4321 Cynthia will intern at the Jeff Davis Hospital, after which he plans to go to Japan as a medical missionary.

Dr. Wright, who has lived in Bellaire for the past three years, has a wife and two children. He was lay pastor at the Baptist mission on Westheimer and Post Oak Road until his studies and hospital duty during his senior year forced him to resign.

Y9ldGwQ.jpg

The Alvin Sun dated April 29, 1954:

Grace Church to Attend Presentation

On Sunday afternoon (May 2) members of Grace Episcopal Church School will attend the Annual Mite-box Presentation Service which this year will be held in Saint John the Divine Episcopal Church, Westheimer and Post Oak Road, Houston. The service will begin at 4:00 p.m. Members of Grace School are asked to be at the Parish House, ready to leave at 2:45 p.m. Parents of the children will provide transportation.

647zhUn.jpg

Aerial photograph of the building located at Post Oak and Westheimer in 1957:

AlfouXx.jpg

• Like 1

I think it's far more likely an example of journalistic incompetence not being  new thing.

Per St. John the Divine's website, the congregation held its first service in 1940. In December of 1940, just nine months after organizing the church, the inaugural service was held in the beautiful limestone chapel, which is still in existence and used today [on the campus at Westheimer and River Oaks Blvd].  

• Like 1