Smith Square: Multifamily At 7605 Phoenix Dr.

almadenmike

It's so sad to read about the decline and demise of this Fire Station (and the Smith Square Apartments).  I lived in SS (7605 Phoenix) in the early 1970s while in grad school at Rice.  The fire station was the voting place for our precinct, which extended from the Astrodome (Judge Roy Hofheinz voted there) to Southampton. In 1972, I helped organize the apartment residents and we surprised and defeated the incumbent, a George Wallace supporter, as Democratic Precinct Judge. 

The Houston Oilers training complex was nearby, on the north side of Braeswood and south of the bayou.

• Like 1

It's so sad to read about the decline and demise of this Fire Station (and the Smith Square Apartments).  I lived in SS (7605 Phoenix) in the early 1970s while in grad school at Rice.  The fire station was the voting place for our precinct, which extended from the Astrodome (Judge Roy Hofheinz voted there) to Southampton. In 1972, I helped organize the apartment residents and we surprised and defeated the incumbent, a George Wallace supporter, as Democratic Precinct Judge. 

The Houston Oilers training complex was nearby, on the north side of Braeswood and south of the bayou.

The Oilers training camp property is now owned by the Harris County Flood Control District. My guess is nothing will get built there any time soon. Metro also took a wedge of the site to install the radiused curve for the light rail. 

The Smith Square apartments was a massive complex, similar to the Napolean Square apartments on Gulfton.