Doh! Here's another one. Taken from pretty much the same spot as the last one. That looks like the Binz building in the background.

gallery_1_65_9050.jpg

Texas Tower, 608 Fannin & 1016 Texas

This is one of my favorite old buildings DT. It's a shame it's been abandoned for so long... could definitely see it becoming some sort of restoration residential project, or at the very least some relief-type office space.

This one must make the graffiti kids drool.

gallery_1_65_1703447.jpg

1010 Lamar (Nasr/Penton & Falick Klein Partnership-Architects)

That Younan guy who said he wanted to build the "World's tallest building" just picked this building up and the Sakowitz garage too....

Texas Tower, 608 Fannin & 1016 Texas

This is one of my favorite old buildings DT. It's a shame it's been abandoned for so long... could definitely see it becoming some sort of restoration residential project, or at the very least some relief-type office space.

Originally the Sterling Building. It had a nice neo-gothic top that was cut off at some point.

• 2 months later...

sterling1a.jpgdeco_r4_c10.gifdeco_r5_c3.gifsterlingbldgtitle.gif

608 Fannin St. (at Texas)

endangered

Historic name: Sterling Building

Current name: Texas Tower (vacant)

Completed: 1931

Architect: Hedrick & Gottlieb

I found the above info while perusing www.houstondeco.org - I then found YOUR thread by Googling "Sterling Building"+Houston, because I was looking for anything relating to saving the endangered building. So many of the great jewels of the H-Town skyline have been demolished in the name of progress!! I'd love to see this building be saved from the wrecking ball, and possibly even restored to it's former art deco granduer using the original blueprints. Does anyone know if there is an active effort to get the Sterling Building on the Historic Landmark registry, or if any efforts at all are currently being made to save her?

608 Fannin St. (at Texas)

endangered

Historic name: Sterling Building

Current name: Texas Tower (vacant)

Completed: 1931

Architect: Hedrick & Gottlieb

I found the above info while perusing www.houstondeco.org - I then found YOUR thread by Googling "Sterling Building"+Houston, because I was looking for anything relating to saving the endangered building. So many of the great jewels of the H-Town skyline have been demolished in the name of progress!! I'd love to see this building be saved from the wrecking ball, and possibly even restored to it's former art deco granduer using the original blueprints. Does anyone know if there is an active effort to get the Sterling Building on the Historic Landmark registry, or if any efforts at all are currently being made to save her?

Great picture, thanks for posting. The Sterling Building was mentioned in the Going Up discussion about another possible Hines project on the block. The Sterling Building isn't shown in the renderings of the project, so presumably the idea is to demolish it. This building lost a lot of its character when the ornamental top was removed, and as far as I know there has never been any effort to preserve it. It has been vacant for many years.

• 5 months later...
Great picture, thanks for posting. The Sterling Building was mentioned in the Going Up discussion about another possible Hines project on the block. The Sterling Building isn't shown in the renderings of the project, so presumably the idea is to demolish it. This building lost a lot of its character when the ornamental top was removed, and as far as I know there has never been any effort to preserve it. It has been vacant for many years.

Just love that Sterling Bldg. What a great b/w pic, thnx again htown, says Ross Sterling, at the time, when he built this bldg. was "challenging Jesse H. Jones for entrepreneurial supremacy". Says Sterling and his "son-in-law, the architect Wyatt C. Hedrick, were responsible for the last of Houston's '20s style skyscrapers, the 21-story, Art Deco-style Sterling Bldg. (1931)." New name : 608 Texas Tower no longer has it's "storefronts & it's crowning pinnacles", as stated above. AIA Architectural Guide, S. Fox

Will truly hate to see this one fall. :o:(

I simply cannot believe that some party was stupid enough to decapitate this building's ornate cresting.

That normally happens when the owners feel it is out of style with modern times.

Egad! Where's the Maalox?!

Archived