Greyhound & Autobuses Americanos | 7000 Harrisburg Blvd

The property at 7000 Harrisburg Blvd changed hands in December, according to county records.

Taconic Asset Trust acquired the site of the Greyhound Bus Station SE Houston and Autobuses Americanos. The property was previously owned by Firstgroup Service Inc. (or may be spelled First Group Service Inc.) 

Taconic Asset Trust is a trust affiliated with Stamford, Connecticut-based Twenty Lake Holdings.

Twenty Lake Holdings purchased several Greyhound Bus terminal properties in the US and UK in 2022. Terminals in Nashville, Cleveland, and in Midtown are among them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

The property was previously owned by Firstgroup Service Inc. (or may be spelled First Group Service Inc.) 

"FirstGroup" is correct.  It's a Scottish company that runs a lot of trains in the UK's privatized passenger rail system.  It also owns a bunch of bus companies around the world, and used to own Greyhound.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taconic Asset Trust acquired the Midtown Greyhound/Central DDE Autobuses station from FirstGroup, likely in a similar manner to this one. It's yet to be confirmed whether its intention is to sell this site like the Midtown property.

Some have said Greyhound is moving to a curbside concept rather than building a new station, making a sale plausible. This site is already used as a bus station, however, so it's turnkey. Greyhound has not publicly commented on moving curbside to my knowledge, and it would make sense for its bus drop-off/pick-up location to be near rail. 

Edited by JClark54

8 hours ago, JClark54 said:

Taconic Asset Trust acquired the Midtown Greyhound/Central DDE Autobuses station from FirstGroup, likely in a similar manner to this one. 

Right. In the topic regarding the Midtown Greyhound bus station, I noted Twenty Lake Holdings acquired a majority of Greyhound stations in the US and UK in 2022. There are several articles, some behind hard paywalls, detailing Twenty Lake Holdings' acquisition strategy.

While there hasn't been anything reported about this particular property, I figured a topic should be created anyway. Even if this station remains, there could be some renovations down the line. Who knows. Either way, there's a topic to discuss it.

• 9 months later...
On 11/20/2023 at 4:32 PM, McD.land said:

On Harrisburg,  Greyhound has extended its lease for 10 years. The property is under contract, closes next month.  Expect to see a big change in activity as business will push to this site with the Midtown closure.

hopefully when Wayside is done being rebuilt, they will stop using neighborhood streets like Dismuke to get to the Greyhound station.

• Like 1

"Downtown Houston’s much-maligned Greyhound bus terminal will be empty Thursday, as the bus operator shifts service to an East End location.

Greyhound on Tuesday confirmed all buses will operate out of 7000 Harrisburg location, near 69th Street, effective Nov. 30. The location will have 24-hour self-serve ticket sales for buses bound for New Orleans and Dallas, but also mean the nation's largest intercity bus company no longer serves the downtown of the fourth-largest city.

The downtown location, 2121 Main St., has been the terminal of intercity bus transit for decades, at least since 1990 when service at another hub on Texas Avenue east of the central business district ceased."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/greyhound-leaving-downtown-houston-for-east-end-18520258.php

• Like 5

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

So commuters will be required to take the Green Line all the way down to the last station to get to this location. It's really not a bad consolidation of services and an upgrade for both neighborhoods. 

Yeah I'm very interested to see if there's any notable uptick in Green Line ridership with this change

• Like 2

@cspwal posted the following discussion from Nextdoor. It pertains to Greyhound consolidating Midtown station operations to its other station at 7000 Harrisburg Blvd.

The post is from the Greyhound Bus Station at 2121 Main St topic:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/2015-greyhound-bus-station-at-2121-main-st/?do=findComment&comment=692570

56 minutes ago, cspwal said:

The Nextdoor people found out:

East End, Eado, Eastwood people….how am I just hearing about this plan to move the Greyhound bus station to Harrisburg?!? Houston is unbelievable with its ability to shift problems to low income, minority areas with little to no input from the community. This would never happen in The Heights! I want to say, I am not a “Not in my backyard” person. I’ve worked with the homeless and mentally ill. My issue is that instead of addressing the problems that come along with the Greyhound bus station in Midtown, they are just pushing it down the road. Instead of addressing the crime, the unhoused, and mentally ill in Midtown and downtown, they are “hiding” it in residential neighborhoods! This will have a HUGE impact on the whole east end area along the Green line light rail. It will significantly impact the area. If you think you won’t be affected because you are not right next door to the location, that is simply just not true. This could impact Eastwood park, which could become a “hang out”, etc etc. Any thoughts…? I’m at a loss right now 🤷‍♀️

https://nextdoor.com/p/mQmht649_6yk

The alarmist comments are pretty funny too

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Thanks 1

that Nextdoor comment is a bit out there, but the safety and security around the station is going to be a problem.

anyone that's ever driven by the midtown location can see that with their own eyes. McDonalds walked away from their midtown location due to the safety impact.

there's a flea market right around the block from here with a great community, if the vagrancy that occurs around the midtown location follows to this location, it will be a problem for the immediate community.

all that said, there's a fairly significant homeless population near Harrisburg and Wayside already, and they stay pretty well in that immediate area, so I would presume that the East End overall should be fine.

as far as Eastwood park, I'd be not too overly concerned about that, Mason park, and the Brays Bayou trail in that area on the other hand...

also, city leaders are pretending like they had no idea this was happening.

https://abc13.com/greyhound-houston-magnolia-park-closing-in-city-leaders/14119553/

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

I would also say that the issues around the Greyhound station in Midtown was not just because of Greyhound. It was also because of the Pierce Elevated, the gas station that continues to change hands every few months/years, and St Josephs Hospital. I am sure some activity will increase around Magnolia TC, but I don't see what is happening in Midtown follow to East End. Of course time will tell, but I do hope that Greyhound is a good neighbor and responds to the community concerns by hiring more security. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Justin Welling said:

I would also say that the issues around the Greyhound station in Midtown was not just because of Greyhound. It was also because of the Pierce Elevated, the gas station that continues to change hands every few months/years, and St Josephs Hospital. I am sure some activity will increase around Magnolia TC, but I don't see what is happening in Midtown follow to East End. Of course time will tell, but I do hope that Greyhound is a good neighbor and responds to the community concerns by hiring more security. 

Agreed. I can't imagine anywhere near the problems because Greyhound is a (small) part of the equation. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

@cspwal posted the following discussion from Nextdoor. It pertains to Greyhound consolidating Midtown station operations to its other station at 7000 Harrisburg Blvd.

The post is from the Greyhound Bus Station at 2121 Main St topic:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/2015-greyhound-bus-station-at-2121-main-st/?do=findComment&comment=692570

I don’t blame them one bit!  Who wants a Greyhound bus station in their neighborhood?  Especially with the reputation of the Midtown location.

As far as The Heights, we are blessed with the Tornado Bus Company!  https://tornadobus.com/en/home/  😀

1 hour ago, steve1363 said:

I don’t blame them one bit!  Who wants a Greyhound bus station in their neighborhood?  Especially with the reputation of the Midtown location.

As far as The Heights, we are blessed with the Tornado Bus Company!  https://tornadobus.com/en/home/  😀

well, if Greyhound had gone to the Heights, they would have probably had to design a 1930s style building so they are a contributing structure in one of the historic districts. could have been neat!

for the city confusion on this, I think they have a valid point, they have that major transit center that was a block away from the Greyhound station, while it's true the Greyhound station on Harrisburg is a few steps away from a rail stop (same as was on Main street), getting to the downtown transit center from the EE Greyhound will be a lot less convenient, having to transfer from one train to another, and then you have to get to the transit center, vs just walking to the transit center.

if the city/METRO could have worked with Greyhound on this, maybe they could have accommodated something at the Fannin South Transit Center for Greyhound to operate. at least people trying to get to the downtown transit center would only have to get on one train to get to the center, rather than 2.

and certainly, accessing a terminal that would be that close to a freeway would be great for Greyhound themselves. that's pie in the sky talk though, as that would never happen.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wilcal said:

Agreed. I can't imagine anywhere near the problems because Greyhound is a (small) part of the equation. 

As someone who owns property near the Midtown Greyhound and in the East End, I suggest you venture over to the encampment. Not a one-time visit for a few hours, but a prolonged period so you can see the whole picture.

There are people with an end destination, and they disembark just like any other person. There are unhoused people looking for room, and the service providers often house them quickly. There are those just released from a detention center with nowhere to go since their family didn't show as well as those with mental illness and other problems keeping them from accepting housing or otherwise functioning. Those groups end up loitering around for days or months. There are also folks who use the station to prey upon those with mental illness or nowhere to go, and they return every day. They sell sex, drugs, fake drugs laced with fentanyl, etc. You'll see a gambit of legal and illicit activities, street feeding frequency and trash resulting from it, outreach from well-meaning folk, rape, drug use, defecating in people's yards, etc. Let's not forget the panhandling that will develop to pay for those items or services being sold by the group. 

You are right, Greyhound is not the root cause of the issues plaguing the Midtown station --  it was just the transit operator. There are many factors involved, and it's a reflection of the social safety net or lack thereof in this nation. Cities in other states rave in media interviews about sending their homeless to Houston (I'll let you be the judge on the merits of those actions). The people in Midtown were not solely localized homeless populations. They were bused in, a recurring cycle. 

But the people it carries have reasons (sometimes by choice, they decline housing in favor of street hustling) for being where they are. Having lived the experience versus driving by en route to destinations elsewhere, I can tell you what happened in Midtown can very easily happen along Harrisburg. 

If anything, the two are more similar than different. Small parcels not designed to support large groupings of people for prolonged periods next to light rail lines. Also ample gas stations and fast food for use. The overpass claim from the other poster is unique, as many are nearby. Not traditional highway ones, but the road-rail separations and the Harrisburg overpass. 

Edited by JClark54
  • Like 1

When you've lived the Midtown Greyhound experience and read people state an uptick in enforcement will help, that's telling us they don't grasp the full context of the situation without actually writing so. Adding more police won't do much, as you can't arrest people for existing in the public space. Greyhound will hire security for its property, which is private. Those with nowhere to go, whether by choice or lack of means, will move to the street. A look back to the social safety net or lack of it. 

Our legal system doesn't permit arrest for simply existing in the public space. Police can't and won't do anything for non-illicit activities. Camping, sleeping, squatting, or whatever you want to call it in the public realm will be touch and go, as it is nationwide. A heavy hand risks harsh penalties. Drug use, etc, may rise or fall. It comes in spades, as fast as law enforcement can catch the people preying upon those folks. Couple that with the steady stream of feeders and new busloads of people, and you very easily could get a repeat situation. 

Edited by JClark54
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JClark54 said:

There are also folks who use the station to prey upon those with mental illness or nowhere to go, and they return every day. They sell sex, drugs, fake drugs laced with fentanyl, etc.

14 hours ago, JClark54 said:

Adding more police won't do much, as you can't arrest people for existing in the public space.

I'd hope that any extra police activity would at least slow the illicit activities. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2023 at 5:32 PM, McD.land said:

On Harrisburg,  Greyhound has extended its lease for 10 years. The property is under contract, closes next month.  Expect to see a big change in activity as business will push to this site with the Midtown closure.

It appears 7000 Harrisburg Boulevard has changed hands again. This is based on documents recorded last week to the Harris County Clerk's database.

According to the warranty deed, an entity named 7000 Harrisburg, LLC acquired the Magnolia Park property. I think the entity is connected to Pipeline Realty. Pipeline Realty is a local commercial real estate firm.

• Like 1

There are multiple other bus companies that operate out of the East End without any of the issues of the Midtown Greyhound station (the one in Taqueria Monchys is always fine, and they never have security or police around) so if the problem was Greyhound, it seems to have been specifically Greyhound (and not bus stations in general). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

It appears 7000 Harrisburg Boulevard has changed hands again. This is based on documents recorded last week to the Harris County Clerk's database.

According to the warranty deed, an entity named 7000 Harrisburg, LLC acquired the Magnolia Park property. I think the entity is connected to Pipeline Realty. Pipeline Realty is a local commercial real estate firm.

Yes, it closed last Wednesday.  Greyhound has been the tenant for years there and the current lease goes out another 7 years.

9 hours ago, 004n063 said:

There are multiple other bus companies that operate out of the East End without any of the issues of the Midtown Greyhound station (the one in Taqueria Monchys is always fine, and they never have security or police around) so if the problem was Greyhound, it seems to have been specifically Greyhound (and not bus stations in general). 

Different crowd using those other bus services in the area. There is some customer base overlap with Greyhound, but not much.

• 3 weeks later...