Crime In The Heights

PureAuteur

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case you haven't seen the email that is going around:

About 9p/9:30p on Wednesday, June 3rd there was an attempted carjacking in the alley off Oxford, between 7th and 7th 1/2, in the parking lot of an apartment complex. The victim resisted, was stabbed, and was taken to the hospital. The perpetrators had not been caught when neighbors showed up on the scene.

In a related/unrelated question...does this area have a constable yet?

In case you haven't seen the email that is going around:

About 9p/9:30p on Wednesday, June 3rd there was an attempted carjacking in the alley off Oxford, between 7th and 7th 1/2, in the parking lot of an apartment complex. The victim resisted, was stabbed, and was taken to the hospital. The perpetrators had not been caught when neighbors showed up on the scene.

In a related/unrelated question...does this area have a constable yet?

Here's how my evening went last night...

[

8:30 PM

I was in my back yard, when I saw my neighbor's (across the alley in back of my house) ladder moving away from his garage. Since I have a 6 foot privacy fence, at first I thought it was falling but then realized someone had it. I picked up my little six pound foster Chihuahua and ran to the back fence where I can see over. I still could not see who was carrying the ladder, but felt certain that my neighbor would not be carrying it up the alley, so I said very deeply, "Drop It," and he did. At the same time, the girls that live across the street from the alley entrance had seen the SUV park caddywampus to the alley, a Hispanic, 6 foot guy wearing black tshirt and black shorts and black&white atlhletic shoes got out and went up the alley. A blond white girl in the car moved to the drivers seat. The girls went to their neighbor across the street from them who also backs up to the alley and told him someone was going up the alley, so about the same time I said, "drop it" the male neighbor was walking toward the guy. The girls got the license plate number. It was a black Suburban or Yukon, license plate number 89G YZ9 . It was a very tall ladder. One theory is that he was going to use it to break into the back of a new garage apartment that backs up to the alley. Keep an eye out.

12:00 MIDNIGHT

So Officer Nutt and Officer Alvarado just left. Officer Alvarado pretty much told me that there was nothing they could do since it wasn't my ladder, the guy didn't take the ladder, etc.

So let me get this straight. There were four witnesses to this man going into the alley, into somebody's yard and stealing from them, and because we stopped him, there is nothing they can do? Ok, let me get this straight, there were four witnesses, two that wrote down the description and license plate of the vehicle, one that came face to face with the thief and got a description to include height, clothing and even the color of the man's tennis shoes, and even spoke to him, and there is NOTHING they can do?

And further, we called this in at 8:30pm and the police came at 11:45pm? You know at that point, let me sleep if there is NOTHING you can do.

Let me say, that the police in my area have done a bang up good job in the past. But something is slipping. A few Saturdays back I called 911 about a gang faceoff in the middle of E. 25th street with several young men and trucks were about to fight (with their trucks). I told the dispatcher that they needed to get over here fast because something really bad was about to happen. It was well over 30 minutes before they arrived.

No wonder crime is increasing. Well, at least we stopped the thief tonight. Me and my 6 pound Chihuahua seem to be, in this case, more effective than Officer Alvarado.

Edited by EMME

Here's how my evening went last night...

[

8:30 PM

I was in my back yard, when I saw my neighbor's (across the alley in back of my house) ladder moving away from his garage. Since I have a 6 foot privacy fence, at first I thought it was falling but then realized someone had it. I picked up my little six pound foster Chihuahua and ran to the back fence where I can see over. I still could not see who was carrying the ladder, but felt certain that my neighbor would not be carrying it up the alley, so I said very deeply, "Drop It," and he did. At the same time, the girls that live across the street from the alley entrance had seen the SUV park caddywampus to the alley, a Hispanic, 6 foot guy wearing black tshirt and black shorts and black&white atlhletic shoes got out and went up the alley. A blond white girl in the car moved to the drivers seat. The girls went to their neighbor across the street from them who also backs up to the alley and told him someone was going up the alley, so about the same time I said, "drop it" the male neighbor was walking toward the guy. The girls got the license plate number. It was a black Suburban or Yukon, license plate number 89G YZ9 . It was a very tall ladder. One theory is that he was going to use it to break into the back of a new garage apartment that backs up to the alley. Keep an eye out.

12:00 MIDNIGHT

So Officer Nutt and Officer Alvarado just left. Officer Alvarado pretty much told me that there was nothing they could do since it wasn't my ladder, the guy didn't take the ladder, etc.

So let me get this straight. There were four witnesses to this man going into the alley, into somebody's yard and stealing from them, and because we stopped him, there is nothing they can do? Ok, let me get this straight, there were four witnesses, two that wrote down the description and license plate of the vehicle, one that came face to face with the thief and got a description to include height, clothing and even the color of the man's tennis shoes, and even spoke to him, and there is NOTHING they can do?

And further, we called this in at 8:30pm and the police came at 11:45pm? You know at that point, let me sleep if there is NOTHING you can do.

Let me say, that the police in my area have done a bang up good job in the past. But something is slipping. A few Saturdays back I called 911 about a gang faceoff in the middle of E. 25th street with several young men and trucks were about to fight (with their trucks). I told the dispatcher that they needed to get over here fast because something really bad was about to happen. It was well over 30 minutes before they arrived.

No wonder crime is increasing. Well, at least we stopped the thief tonight. Me and my 6 pound Chihuahua seem to be, in this case, more effective than Officer Alvarado.

Sad to say but this sound fairly typical. I hope you have your weapon loaded. :(

Sad to say but this sound fairly typical. I hope you have your weapon loaded. :(

Weapon and chihuahua, fully locked and loaded.

I fully support the police and appreciate all they do for me and my community. However, this particular officer really made me mad. I know they probably aren't going to get a conviction, and I know that a ladder is a pretty minor thing. However, if they just say, oh well, the guy will go on, possibly to Oxford for a carjacking, without any impediments. You put out no speed bumps, you get fast moving cars. You put out speed bumps, and they may still take your street, but slower.

I saw a police car around 930 sweep 4 times up and down 7th street with it's searchlight on looking for someone.

Then there was a full size fire truck came down 7th as well, sirens off, heading for Yale. What was that doing out for an attempted carjacking?

What does that mean? plates don't match car?

Most likely it is a new vehicle or has recently changed ownership and our good friends at the department of public safety have yet to get around to updating their database.

It should be updated within a few weeks perhaps.

I saw a police car around 930 sweep 4 times up and down 7th street with it's searchlight on looking for someone.

Then there was a full size fire truck came down 7th as well, sirens off, heading for Yale. What was that doing out for an attempted carjacking?

firetruck will come prior to paramedics if they can get there faster.

Most likely it is a new vehicle or has recently changed ownership and our good friends at the department of public safety have yet to get around to updating their database.

It should be updated within a few weeks perhaps.

My neighbor said it was a car in good condition and that the perps were clean and well dressed. Early 20s.

I am going to put up a fence in the alley behind my house. That alley is only good for criminals to be able to see into my backyard and the back of my house. Crime Alley is what it is.

Edited by EMME

Did they make a report? This was a criminal offense, (Theft -- if they picked up the ladder and moved it, it is still theft, even if they dropped it) and they are required to make a report on any criminal offense. If this happens again, you should politely request that a report be completed and if they refuse to do one, ask for a supervisor to call you or come to the scene. In this instance, since you had suspect and vehicle plate information, it is very important that they do a report because the information could help solve other more serious crimes where there is a matching vehicle description but no license plate. Furthermore, it is important that they document all criminal offenses for purposes of tracking crime in the area. (But please don't go demanding reports on civil matters like "my neighbor's tree drops crap in my yard" or "I paid my mechanic to fix my car and he didn't fix it")

=================

Since they probably coded it as a property crime that had already happened and the suspects were already gone, it pretty much carries the lowest priority and keeps getting bumped by higher priority calls (Sounds like there was a lot of drama going on in the area to keep them busy, but even a 9-1-1 hangup from a pay phone is higher priority).

Again, depending on how they coded the call, it might have dropped as a priority 3 disturbance. If the fight was in progress it would have been higher priority.

With all that being said, please do not hesitate to call the police because you think they might not come or it might be a long time. Sometimes there might be an officer right around the corner when the call drops. Also, if you think something looks suspicious, it probably is -- call it in. Also, please do not be tempted to say something is "in progress" when it isn't. There's no benefit to an officer (or citizen) getting hurt while rushing to get there just because you don't want to wait.

Thanks.

Did they make a report? This was a criminal offense, (Theft -- if they picked up the ladder and moved it, it is still theft, even if they dropped it) and they are required to make a report on any criminal offense. If this happens again, you should politely request that a report be completed and if they refuse to do one, ask for a supervisor to call you or come to the scene. In this instance, since you had suspect and vehicle plate information, it is very important that they do a report because the information could help solve other more serious crimes where there is a matching vehicle description but no license plate. Furthermore, it is important that they document all criminal offenses for purposes of tracking crime in the area. (But please don't go demanding reports on civil matters like "my neighbor's tree drops crap in my yard" or "I paid my mechanic to fix my car and he didn't fix it")

=================

Since they probably coded it as a property crime that had already happened and the suspects were already gone, it pretty much carries the lowest priority and keeps getting bumped by higher priority calls (Sounds like there was a lot of drama going on in the area to keep them busy, but even a 9-1-1 hangup from a pay phone is higher priority).

Again, depending on how they coded the call, it might have dropped as a priority 3 disturbance. If the fight was in progress it would have been higher priority.

With all that being said, please do not hesitate to call the police because you think they might not come or it might be a long time. Sometimes there might be an officer right around the corner when the call drops. Also, if you think something looks suspicious, it probably is -- call it in. Also, please do not be tempted to say something is "in progress" when it isn't. There's no benefit to an officer (or citizen) getting hurt while rushing to get there just because you don't want to wait.

Thanks.

This is pretty spot on info. I would add that theft of a used ladder is probably a class 'C' misdemeanor (under $50)...effectively the same as a speeding ticket. Going into the yard is class 'B' trespassing. Since the owner was not home, they could not even verify that the theft and trespass was without the owner's consent. So, it would have been tough to arrest the guy even if they had caught him.

However, the cop should have explained that to you. If he had said, "It is only a class 'C' theft, so we wouldn't expend a lot of police time on that, especially since you recovered the ladder", you might have said, Oh, that makes sense. Instead, he left you annoyed with his half-truths. They don't spend enough time on bedside manner at the academy, I suppose.

=================

Thanks.

Thanks for your response. Oh believe me, I do not and will not hesitate to call the police. When the officer said there was nothing they could do, my immediate response was, "I don't care. You will file a report. This will go in the system. This is happening much too much around here for you to brush it off." He had his partner take the report and she was most accommodating. She saw how angry he made me and she validated my having called. So yes, he gave me the slip with the report number. I also sent the same note you quoted to Central 2 Patrol command center, to District H Council Office, Ed Gonzalez, my entire neighborhood association distribution and to every other association in the area for whom I had an email address.

From Sunset Heights, I was told that some of the homeowners over there have had alarms go off and the alarm company was told by HPD dispatch that they would not dispatch officers because their alarm permits were expired. The command center blamed this on new dispatchers not understanding.

Where was the ladder originally? Did they have to break in and get it?

The ladder was in my neighbor's back yard behind a closed gate.

This is pretty spot on info. I would add that theft of a used ladder is probably a class 'C' misdemeanor (under $50)...effectively the same as a speeding ticket. Going into the yard is class 'B' trespassing. Since the owner was not home, they could not even verify that the theft and trespass was without the owner's consent. So, it would have been tough to arrest the guy even if they had caught him.

However, the cop should have explained that to you. If he had said, "It is only a class 'C' theft, so we wouldn't expend a lot of police time on that, especially since you recovered the ladder", you might have said, Oh, that makes sense. Instead, he left you annoyed with his half-truths. They don't spend enough time on bedside manner at the academy, I suppose.

The owner was home. I don't know if they went over to speak to him or not.

The fight was in progress, large supercab white truck, gas pedal down, brake pedal down facing smaller white truck gas pedal down with brake pedal down. 3:00 in the morning. Guys jumping off the bed of the trucks. I am not a withering vine by any means. I have been known to step right into some pretty dangerous situations and pull the "alpha dog" on them, but this one had me creeping up the street in my jammies to awaken my HPD neighbor. He came and checked it out fully armed with shotgun and pistol and HE called the police. It was ugly.

The fight was in progress, large supercab white truck, gas pedal down, brake pedal down facing smaller white truck gas pedal down with brake pedal down. 3:00 in the morning. Guys jumping off the bed of the trucks. I am not a withering vine by any means. I have been known to step right into some pretty dangerous situations and pull the "alpha dog" on them, but this one had me creeping up the street in my jammies to awaken my HPD neighbor. He came and checked it out fully armed with shotgun and pistol and HE called the police. It was ugly.

Couldn't one simply "snipe" them and go back to bed? Ugh. It seems this sort of thing is occurring more and more these days.

I was right next to this (the car jacking on oxford) driving home from the Brazilian Arts Foundation right at 9:45 wed. night. I didn't see any blue/red lights anywhere. I figure if someone got stabbed they should have a ton of officers everywhere?? That is also steak night at Onion Creek, so there were probably a lot of people around only a few blocks away. Scary stuff.

We really have to be aware of our surroundings.... maybe it's time for the wife and I to get our CCLs???

I was right next to this (the car jacking on oxford) driving home from the Brazilian Arts Foundation right at 9:45 wed. night. I didn't see any blue/red lights anywhere. I figure if someone got stabbed they should have a ton of officers everywhere?? That is also steak night at Onion Creek, so there were probably a lot of people around only a few blocks away. Scary stuff.

We really have to be aware of our surroundings.... maybe it's time for the wife and I to get our CCLs???

I have a CCL...Concealed Chihuahua License.

Do you have a chihuahua too?

Do you have a chihuahua too?

I have two chihuahuas (one mix) and a foster chihuahua along with two other dogs and another foster dog (rat terrier). Six (loud yappy) dogs = not much time for burglars to spend in yard.

If I decide that a thief on my property is not worth shooting and decide to knock them out and tie them up until police get there, how much risk do I run of actually getting in more trouble than the perp? Just wondering how I need to play this if it goes down.

If I decide that a thief on my property is not worth shooting and decide to knock them out and tie them up until police get there, how much risk do I run of actually getting in more trouble than the perp? Just wondering how I need to play this if it goes down.

None. In fact, you can laugh along with the cops at how funny the perp looks hogtied like a calf at the rodeo.

From a person living in Woodland Heights.

Lloyd and I took the dog on a walk as we often do after dinner, around 9 Wednesday. When we were 2 blocks north of the house there were two guys hanging out and on their phones. At first I thought "oh no I shouldn't have turned". They just didn