Crime In The Heights

PureAuteur

i have a friend on the 900 block of herkimer. The only old houses left are shanties/crack houses. Hopefully they will be gone soon. However, so many of the new homes are just ugly, imo. all garage out in front.

Yeah I don't dig the park IN my house look. But I do agree with whoever said that replacing the shacks that are in that area is a good thing. I'm talking the real shacks, not the decent old ones, which are fewer on this end of the Heights.

Still, I run and bike around this area all the time and have never felt unsafe. Whoever thinks this area is that bad needs to head east down Cavalcade for some perspective.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I don't dig the park IN my house look. But I do agree with whoever said that replacing the shacks that are in that area is a good thing. I'm talking the real shacks, not the decent old ones, which are fewer on this end of the Heights.

Still, I run and bike around this area all the time and have never felt unsafe. Whoever thinks this area is that bad needs to head east down Cavalcade for some perspective.

not to speak for her, but i bet my friend who lives across the street and directly next door from these buildings would also say she feels safe. when she complains about them, safety is never the issue and she even knows the... er... occupants... by name. i may be foolish, but i grew up in a really poor town and i can say taht i don't always believe run down = dangerous.

not to speak for her, but i bet my friend who lives across the street and directly next door from these buildings would also say she feels safe. when she complains about them, safety is never the issue and she even knows the... er... occupants... by name. i may be foolish, but i grew up in a really poor town and i can say taht i don't always believe run down = dangerous.

I agree. And whoever said they have an issue with people drinking beer on their porch doesn't know how to live! Outside is the best place to drink.

At around 9:15 tonight there was a shooting on E 12th 1/2 St between Beverly and Oxford. The shooter invaded a house with an unlocked door and dogs barking. The shooter fired a shotgun inside the house as the occupants fled then shot at them outside as they fled down the street and then shot at a car coming down the street around the same time.

the victims are a family in the Heights kids' group. i hope they don't mind me posting this here for people. this is the email they sent out this morning:

We're all okay, BUT...My husband and baby were robbed at gunpoint tonight in our house. I was out while it happened but came home shortly after - when I turned onto our street, there were several police cars with their lights on and my husband was running toward me without our baby - I thought it was a mother's worst nightmare come true. (She was with our sweet neighbor) My husband and 18 month old were in our living room when they heard someone come into our utility room around 9:30. They thought it was me until my husband heard the guy telling our dogs to get out of the way. My husband picked up our daughter and the guy came into the dining room which adjoins the living room and told my husband to give him money. While pointing a freakin' SHOTGUN at them. My husband pointed to his wallet on the buffet in the dining room and walked over to it, took out the $60 he had and tossed it on the table for the guy. The guy said "I know you have more money than that - where is it?" Hubby bolted down the hallway and ran out of the house through the utility room. The guy shot once in the hallway and then twice at my husband outside as he was running down the street holding the baby. Then the guy gave up and started running the other way. A car turned onto our street and the guy shot at the car - luckily, the driver wasn't hit. He got away from there and the police haven't found him yet. My husband and neighbors who saw the guy said he's a Latino man in his 40's, around 5'10"-6' tall, slim build ~180 lbs, and was wearing a yellow hoodie and glasses. I am so completely freaked out at how very, very wrong this could have gone - so many lucky lucky things allowed us to live. Our house is near the corner of Oxford & 12 1/2. Please keep safe and keep your eyes peeled for this guy and please let everyone know if you see anything suspicious.

also, another mom in the group close to me (norhill) said that she saw a flashlight in her yard around this time. she turned on the lights and sent her dogs out only to find it was a cop who had been chasing the guy on foot...

my husband thinks there must have been a get away car b/c goes on foot, before or after, carrying a shot gun??

My wife is saying this guy was at our house Monday around 8:30. I was in bed recovering from jet lag but I flew to the front room screaming for her to not open the door. Our dogs were going nuts and he was still trying to talk to her to open the door...something about voting for him. I remember thinking that was very odd as the usual MO is to turn around and walk away the second the dogs start up. I never saw him but she took a quick look through the window.

She said 'skinny, latino, yellow sweatshirt, and glasses.' sweatshirt was a bright yellow. I'm having her call the police tonight to talk to them. We're not very near 12 1/2 and Oxford either.

My wife is saying this guy was at our house Monday around 8:30. I was in bed recovering from jet lag but I flew to the front room screaming for her to not open the door. Our dogs were going nuts and he was still trying to talk to her to open the door...something about voting for him. I remember thinking that was very odd as the usual MO is to turn around and walk away the second the dogs start up. I never saw him but she took a quick look through the window.

She said 'skinny, latino, yellow sweatshirt, and glasses.' sweatshirt was a bright yellow. I'm having her call the police tonight to talk to them. We're not very near 12 1/2 and Oxford either.

pretty scarry glad you were there to yell to the wife.....did he by chance touch anything that the cops might be able to pull ant prints off of?

glad you were safe!

Hello all. I haven't posted here in a while and don't mean to use the forum as too much of a crime beat but communicating to fellow Heights residents about this incident really is important. As you can tell from my wife's Height's Kids Group post, last night was quite horrific for us. Her account is correct and she is fully ok with it being reposted here.

That said, I just want to offer some info regarding the questions that have come up. The gun was a 20gauge semi-automatic full barrel with tan/faded wood. The description for the vote solicitor sounds very much in line with what I saw. If you decide to call (713-308-0700) and report here's the case #006634209-2. No news channels were present last night, just a lot of supportive neighbors.

Thanks for bringing this matter to the attention of our community. Although resolve would be excellent, just knowing there's good people in the Heights that care about eliminating crimes like this is great.

pretty scarry glad you were there to yell to the wife.....did he by chance touch anything that the cops might be able to pull ant prints off of?

glad you were safe!

My doorbell wasn't on (battery dead) so he knocked. I doubt he would have touched something else. If the police want to take a look they can. I'm not the one who saw anything so I'm waiting until the wife gets home to have her call in. I'd assume they actually have someone looking into this rather than brushing it off like they do for the regular break-ins. She's pretty freaked. I didn't know anything about a description until she read the story and flipped.

EDIT: Glad your family is safe and secure push.

Edited by AJXterra

Here's more info on the same suspect...he's been active

Apparently there is a male Hispanic around 40 yrs of age 180 lbs,

5'10"-6' tall who has held up several people in the heights. Monday

afternoon the quickmart on 11th & Beverly was robbed. That same night

he attempted to break into a home near the Cortlandt & 12th area.

Tuesday afternoon, someone was held up at gunpoint at Onion Creek and

Tuesday evening, he entered a home at 12th 1/2 & Oxford and attempted to

hold up a man with an 18mo old infant. When the man ran, he was shot at

twice (luckily not hurt) and the robber ran outside and shot at a car

driving by. He seems to wear a yellow sweatshirt/hoodie with glasses.

No suspects as of yet. Keep your eyes open and doors/gates locked.

Edited by CleaningLadyinCleveland

From the
Houston Chronicle
The question of how to fill the Houston City Council seat vacated by Adrian Garcia has created a rift among Hispanic activists and potential successors that broke out into the open Wednesday.

As state law requires, Mayor Bill White has proposed holding a special election for District H on May 9. But some activists, potential candidates and council members expressed concerns that such a step would leave the district without representation for five months. City Council, they said, should appoint someone in the interim. Garcia, who was elected Harris County sheriff in November, vacated his seat to be sworn in to that job this month. His departure left only one Hispanic council member in a city with at least 850,000 Latinos, according to census figures.

Chron article here

First, glad everyone is safe! That sounds terrifying. I am so thankful I have a gated house that I keep the gate locked on! My wife thinks Im crazy because I ALWAYS lock the door to our house, even behind the gate - but this just shows you cant be too careful.

On another note - while walking my dog this morning (6:30am) I heard a gun shot. Sounded like it came from the heights blvd/19th st area....I was on 12th and ashland at the time, and it was in the distance...

Just be careful everyone! Glad everybody is alright!

I have received several emails from friends and neighbors in the Heights with the information below - I was also told this was on the news - but don't know which station...be careful!

Apparently there is a male Hispanic around 40 yrs of age 180 lbs,

5'10"-6' tall who has held up several people in the heights. Monday

afternoon the quickmart on 11th & Beverly was robbed. That same night

he attempted to break into a home near the Cortlandt & 12th area.

Tuesday afternoon, someone was held up at gunpoint at Onion Creek and

Tuesday evening, he entered a home at 12th 1/2 & Oxford and attempted to

hold up a man with an 18mo old infant. When the man ran, he was shot at

twice (luckily not hurt) and the robber ran outside and shot at a car

driving by. He seems to wear a yellow sweatshirt/hoodie with glasses.

No suspects as of yet. Keep your eyes open and doors/gates locked.

Here's detail on what happened on Tuesday night:

Robbed at gunpoint IN OUR HOUSE

We're all okay, BUT...My husband and baby were robbed at gunpoint tonight in our house. I was out while it happened but came home shortly after - when I turned onto our street, there were several police cars with their lights on and my husband was running toward me without our baby - I thought it was a mother's worst nightmare come true. (She was with our sweet neighbor) My husband and 18 month old were in our living room when they heard someone come into our utility room around 9:30. They thought it was me until my husband heard the guy telling our dogs to get out of the way. My husband picked up our daughter and the guy came into the dining room which adjoins the living room and told my husband to give him money. While pointing a freakin' SHOTGUN at them. My husband pointed to his wallet on the buffet in the dining room and walked over to it, took out the $60 he had and tossed it on the table for the guy. The guy said "I know you have more money than that -where is it?" Hubby bolted down the hallway and ran out of the house through the utility room. The guy shot once in the hallway and then twice at my husband outside as he was running down the street holding the baby. Then the guy gave up and started running the other way. A car turned onto our street and the guy shot at the car - luckily, the driver wasn't hit. He got away from there and the police haven't found him yet. My husband and neighbors who saw the guy said he's a Latino man in his 40's, around 5'10"-6' tall, slim build ~180 lbs, and was wearing a yellow hoodie and glasses. I am so completely freaked out at how very, very wrong this could have gone - so many lucky lucky things allowed us to live. Our house is near the corner of Oxford & 12 1/2. Please keep safe and keep your eyes peeled for this guy and please let everyone know if you see anything suspicious.

Later emails that I had received said that the husband had left the door open in awaiting for his wife to come home.