John McDonald Home/Table In The Heights Restaurant At 1801 Ashland St.

cwrm4

Has anyone heard any news about this project? Have the owners come forth with their plans?

I don't live in the Heights, but I do go there often for the funky shops and laidback atmosphere, feels like a small town. I was on my way to Harold's and passed by the site, they have a sign up along with photographs of what looks to be a scale model of the building to come. Looks to be a very interesting design, and they are going to have a patio!!! :D

so this makes sense in a "Landry's" kind of way.

Let's tear down an actual victorian restaurant so we can build a new faux victorian themed restaurant.

i will also NEVER eat at the new place.

Yep, the million bucks +, he's about to spend to build a NEW eatery could have easily gone into rehabbing the old house. What is the world coming to ? :wacko:

Edited by TJones

This is not the consensus of the Heights. Please don't speak for the "Heights Residents".

Really? I don't know who you are except you have provided a total of 2 posts in this forum. I, as much or more than anyone else in this forum knows the pulse of the Heights. Are you just a lurker or undercover? Your posts invite suspicion.

BTW, many of us placed our trust in Ryan's pronouncements. We were not "asleep at the wheel". Clearly we were wrong to place our trust in what he said. As others have said in this thread, don't expect much buisness once word had been spread about the under-handed tactics that resulted in the destruction of Ashland House.

Edited by nmainguy

I don't live in the Heights, but I do go there often for the funky shops and laidback atmosphere, feels like a small town. I was on my way to Harold's and passed by the site, they have a sign up along with photographs of what looks to be a scale model of the building to come. Looks to be a very interesting design, and they are going to have a patio!!! :D

Oh well....so long as they are going to have a PATIO! Let's bulldoze whatever!

If anybody wants to go to the new place, more power to them, I for one will not darken the doorstep.

We thank you for trying to fit your plans with the Heights.

I guess that is the "royal we"

• 2 weeks later...

As of Early June...

And the picture on their sign shows a very contemporary building, despite the fact that they said it would be Victorian.

I don't care that it isn't faux Victorian- I do mind being lied to.

How could I have forgotten to add

www.savethebungalows.org

As of Early June...

And the picture on their sign shows a very contemporary building, despite the fact that they said it would be Victorian.

I don't care that it isn't faux Victorian- I do mind being lied to.

How could I have forgotten to add

www.savethebungalows.org

In a way, I'm actually very glad that it's not faux Victorian. I'm glad they're not making a mockery of the building they tore down. I'm still not going to eat there, though.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone heard anything regarding a restaurant that was to open on 18th and Ashland. I know the owner tore down the old property that was there and caught a lot of grief. Drove by there the other day and the sign that was out a month or two ago for "Table in the Heights" is gone. Just curious if anyone has heard anything. With "The Glass Wall" and "Shade" here, was hoping for another great resturant.

Has anyone heard anything regarding a restaurant that was to open on 18th and Ashland. I know the owner tore down the old property that was there and caught a lot of grief. Drove by there the other day and the sign that was out a month or two ago for "Table in the Heights" is gone. Just curious if anyone has heard anything. With "The Glass Wall" and "Shade" here, was hoping for another great resturant.

I saw that he is teaching a class at Central Market next month and it lists him as the chef of Table...I guess that means it is opening soon.

not a thing- yet - the last permit to be issued (construction and demo) was the demolition permit:

Project No:

Date:

1/25/2006

USE:

DEMO BLDG/SEWER DISC

Owner / Occupant:

TABLE IN THE HEIGHTS

Job Address:

1801 ASHLAND ST

Tax ID:

Subdivision:

HISTORICAL SITE

Buyer:

JEFF SWEENEY

Address:

12335 KINGSRIDE 77024

Phone:

i love how it reads "historical site" on the permit - like adding insult to injury

Edited by sevfiv

This week's Houston Business Journal has a front page article titled "Heights Activism aborts projects" :D

the main character is Bill Baldwin of Allegro Homes, who is so sad that he got pressured out of tearing down a 1890s bungalow.

"Ryan Hildebrand has taken a restaurant off the contstruction menu after receiving hundreds of angry emails about his decision to tear down the historic Ashland House Tea Room to make room for his restaurant. The restaurant's major investor pulled out due to what Hildebrand calls misconceptions created by a very vocal few."

In the article Hildebrand said he got blamed as the developer when he was just the chef.

While the article seems to be a little critical of the grassroots movement in the Heights, I am glad to see that we, as residents, are getting attention as concerned citizens. If they want to develop, they should talk to people like Shepard at the Glasswall who had no issues with his restaurant b/c he built (with Allegro) in an area that needs development.

This week's Houston Business Journal has a front page article titled "Heights Activism aborts projects" :D

the main character is Bill Baldwin of Allegro Homes, who is so sad that he got pressured out of tearing down a 1890s bungalow.

"Ryan Hildebrand has taken a restaurant off the contstruction menu after receiving hundreds of angry emails about his decision to tear down the historic Ashland House Tea Room to make room for his restaurant. The restaurant's major investor pulled out due to what Hildebrand calls misconceptions created by a very vocal few."

In the article Hildebrand said he got blamed as the developer when he was just the chef.

While the article seems to be a little critical of the grassroots movement in the Heights, I am glad to see that we, as residents, are getting attention as concerned citizens. If they want to develop, they should talk to people like Shepard at the Glasswall who had no issues with his restaurant b/c he built (with Allegro) in an area that needs development.

wow - well, there ya go...too bad it had to come at the cost of the house, for which a tiny bit of thought and foresight would have helped :closedeyes:

I understand the anger some people feel at tearing down an old structure. I've only been in the neighborhood five years, but have been by and large pleased with what I have seen tore down. It's a shame that the "vocal few" have ruined a new restaurant that would only enhance our neighborhood. There has to be a balance we can find of preservation along with development.

I understand the anger some people feel at tearing down an old structure. I've only been in the neighborhood five years, but have been by and large pleased with what I have seen tore down. It's a shame that the "vocal few" have ruined a new restaurant that would only enhance our neighborhood. There has to be a balance we can find of preservation along with development.

I think it was a lot more than a vocal few, at least in the Heights area, the target customer base for this restaurant. When they realized they alienated most of their potential customers they seemed to have scrapped the plans for their restaurant but the Ashland Tea House remains gone forever. Terrible planning and forethought on the part of this restaurants owner. They are to blame for the "ruined new restaurant" not the "vocal few".

It was said the last time this topic was discussed and I still agree:

It was the WAY the guy went about demolishing Ashland's without really engaging to neighborhood in a constructive discussion that made most moderate people angry.

I don't think the Heights citizenry should be faulted because they don't follow a laissez faire attitude about the neighborhood.

The activism has positive impacts that we all enjoy. Even if we don't all agree about every cause, I think the net result of Heights activism is a beacon to the power of the citizen...something that needs to be preserved.

The Heights takes a stand about what happens. I like that a lot better than the majority of Houston reacts to negative developments in their neighborhoods: move futher down I-10/290/45.

It was said the last time this topic was discussed and I still agree:

It was the WAY the guy went about demolishing Ashland's without really engaging to neighborhood in a constructive discussion that made most moderate people angry.

I don't think the Heights citizenry should be faulted because they don't follow a laissez faire attitude about the neighborhood.

The activism has positive impacts that we all enjoy. Even if we don't all agree about every cause, I think the net result of Heights activism is a beacon to the power of the citizen...something that needs to be preserved.

The Heights takes a stand about what happens. I like that a lot better than the majority of Houston reacts to negative developments in their neighborhoods: move futher down I-10/290/45.

I have to agree that the WAY Ahsland's was demolished was what instigated the negative reaction. Though I'm not sure the reaction would have been much better if it had been anounced...but at least people could have had time to digest what was happening. Sounds like the developer didn't really understand the heights or the impact his actions would have. As a businessman, he should have done a bit more research.

Sad that it will be empty now. I wonder if a reasonable structure will be built in its place? Probably the best we can hope for at this time is a new victorian structure...hopefully custom, maybe a B&B or something...?

Guest Malvoe

I never saw the Ashland Tea House, so I can't comment on how great a loss it is. However, I'd say that I'd much rather have a new restaurant in that spot than an empty lot. Now, I'd say the chances are just as good, if not higher, that we end up with another pharmacy, mexican restaurant, or dry cleaners than something nice. It is too bad that it happened, but all the bitching after the knockdown (when nothing could be done about it) could end up being a serious mistake.

I never saw the Ashland Tea House, so I can't comment on how great a loss it is. However, I'd say that I'd much rather have a new restaurant in that spot than an empty lot. Now, I'd say the chances are just as good, if not higher, that we end up with another pharmacy, mexican restaurant, or dry cleaners than something nice. It is too bad that it happened, but all the bitching after the knockdown (when nothing could be done about it) could end up being a serious mistake.

I doubt that. I think that the success of Shade and Glasswall are great examples of how a higher end restuarant can work in the Heights. Neither restaurant is frequented only by Heights residents. I'm sure that's part of why Ryan Hildebrand and his investors wanted to build here in the 1st place. Others will follow suit...

In the end, I think the people who cared here made a good point. Think before you act...

I doubt that. I think that the success of Shade and Glasswall are great examples of how a higher end restuarant can work in the Heights. Neither restaurant is frequented only by Heights residents. I'm sure that's part of why Ryan Hildebrand and his investors wanted to build here in the 1st place. Others will follow suit...

In the end, I think the people who cared here made a good point. Think before you act...

Well, I hope everyone is happy when Tricon buys the lot and throws 4 townhomes on it.

Edited by luvtheheights

Guest Malvoe
Well, I hope everyone in happy when Tricon buys the lot and throws 4 townhomes on it.

Bingo. Unless the chef is just completely lying, which is kind of hard to believe, they were planning on reusing the old building, and actually spend quite a bit of time and money preparing the plan. After ripping the sheetrock off, they found serious structural problems rendering the house unusable and unmovable. I'm not sure I see the problem. But, hey, thank goodness we stopped a nice restaruant from opening up in the heights. Well done by all.

Edited by Malvoe

Bingo. Unless the chef is just completely lying, which is kind of hard to believe, they were planning on reusing the old building, and actually spend quite a bit of time and money preparing the plan. After ripping the sheetrock off, they found serious structural problems rendering the house unusable and unmovable. I'm not sure I see the problem. But, hey, thank goodness we stopped a nice restaruant from opening up in the heights. Well done by all.

Follow the link in Sevfiv's post to the old thread where this was heartily debated.

But, hey, thank goodness we stopped a nice restaruant from opening up in the heights. Well done by all.

Well done, indeed. The destruction of the Ashland Tea House is not entirely in vain if, at last, developers understand that actions have consequences, and that the public does not suffer from collective amnesia.

Would you rather that the principles who instigated this mess were rewarded for their arrogance? If so, we should only look forward to more of the same.

Guest Malvoe

The other thread seems to confirm my sentiments.

Would you rather see another set of townhomes built by a company with no regard to the heights, or see a restaurant built by a company that, though poor on communication, seemed to have good intentions? I think it is admirable and a show of good faith that the chef made posts here and on other Heights forums to try and clear the air, especially after receiving what I imagine were some rather nasty emails. I generally side with preservation movements and certainly don't want to see the Heights turn into Montrose. But in this case, I think it is likely that the Heights will be worse off.

• The title was changed to Table In The Heights
  • The title was changed to John McDonald Home/Table In The Heights Restaurant At 1801 Ashland St.