Quality Hill Residential Neighborhood

rps324

• 3 months later...

Every time I drive by these homes (located between the GRB and Minute Maid Park), I wonder what is to become of them. Can you guys fill me in on their history and if there are plans to restore them? I love that they are here, but am not quite sure of their value if they continue to decline.

Thanks

155036073_38a4f95ccc.jpg

Every time I drive by these homes (located between the GRB and Minute Maid Park), I wonder what is to become of them. Can you guys fill me in on their history and if there are plans to restore them? I love that they are here, but am not quite sure of their value if they continue to decline.

Thanks

155036073_38a4f95ccc.jpg

i always thought these were some sort of historical showplaces? i never really looked closely, but i had no idea they were in serious disrepair. from the photos (and my bad memory) they seem rather well-kept?

i always thought these were some sort of historical showplaces? i never really looked closely, but i had no idea they were in serious disrepair. from the photos (and my bad memory) they seem rather well-kept?

Perhaps then, I'm missing the point of why they are there. If I recall. they were moved when the Toyota Center or garage was built(?). So then wouldn't an historic group want to rehab them? There is a lot of missing siding (as seen on the front of the one on the right, and the side and rear of the left one. Regardless of their purpose, the elements will take their toll on the exposed parts of the structure, leading to further decline.

Judging by that portapotty on the right of the photo, I would gather that there is indeed some rehab going on in those houses.

yeah, and i just thought they were of some historic value (perhaps the first mayoral home? does houston even have a mayoral home? or some other frontier type of thing ... ).

to be honest i never really thought much about them.

yeah, and i just thought they were of some historic value (perhaps the first mayoral home? does houston even have a mayoral home? or some other frontier type of thing ... ).

to be honest i never really thought much about them.

I am sure there is huge historic value of some sort or they wouldn't have moved them, you know someone around here will come up with the answer. I will look around as well.

Thanks Red, well done.

I never knew these houses existed. So, do we know if St Francis Charity sold the house to city, or did the city just take it? I have to wonder why the two houses were not moved to the Sam Houston Park?

How long have they been where they are now?

Thanks Red, well done.

I never knew these houses existed. So, do we know if St Francis Charity sold the house to city, or did the city just take it? I have to wonder why the two houses were not moved to the Sam Houston Park?

How long have they been where they are now?

There was a quite a bit of emanent domain when these deals were made. With respect to the ballpark and the Hilton, anything they wanted they got. They wanted the extension of La Avenida, which is why the house was moved. They are definitely going to be rehabbed but may take some time because i believe it is a private venture.

Why not Sam Houston Park? Well after Hurricane Alicia damaged many of the homes at Sam Houston Park, the Historical Society has rethought the houses in the park thing. I had even heard that they were thinking of moving some of the existing homes there to higher ground to prevent further flooding.

There was a quite a bit of emanent domain when these deals were made. With respect to the ballpark and the Hilton, anything they wanted they got. They wanted the extension of La Avenida, which is why the house was moved. They are definitely going to be rehabbed but may take some time because i believe it is a private venture.

Why not Sam Houston Park? Well after Hurricane Alicia damaged many of the homes at Sam Houston Park, the Historical Society has rethought the houses in the park thing. I had even heard that they were thinking of moving some of the existing homes there to higher ground to prevent further flooding.

Actually The Heritage Society which maintains the homes in Sam Houston Park were asked by the city to determine if a site could be found in the Park for the houses. (Cohen and Foley) Since the city has to approve anything moved into the park the project never got off of the ground.

Tropical Storm Allison did flood two of the homes, the Old Place and the Pillot house(which sat at Chenevert and McKinney).The Society did move Old Place to higher ground and has recently raised the Pillot House out of the flood plain and completed a mega outside restoration including adding back the original side porch.

From this view they look restored. If they aren't, then they look like they would be worthy of restoration.

I have walked by the houses many times on my way into Minute Maid. To be honest I figured a business would eventually lease them out. Some bail bonds company or some rougue Attorney. I had no idea the historical significance of these houses. Shows what I know. Great Article, would love to hear an update !!

Yep, they need some work, and quickly. But replacing the lost and rotten wood on the exterior is not an impossible job. The roofs appear to be in pretty good shape. Wonder how the interiors are holding up.

Is the Heritage Society willing to take over the maintence of these two homes if they are moved to Sam Houston Park. I still think that is where they belong.

It would be a shame if a Bail Bond Co or "rougue attorney" moved in.

Yep, they need some work, and quickly. But replacing the lost and rotten wood on the exterior is not an impossible job. The roofs appear to be in pretty good shape. Wonder how the interiors are holding up.

Is the Heritage Society willing to take over the maintence of these two homes if they are moved to Sam Houston Park. I still think that is where they belong.

It would be a shame if a Bail Bond Co or "rougue attorney" moved in.

I too think the houses would be great in Sam Houston Park, say facing Bagby across from the Main Library. Historically there were big homes along this area. There was also in later years a Fire Alarm building along this bit of Bagby.

• 1 year later...
I too think the houses would be great in Sam Houston Park, say facing Bagby across from the Main Library. Historically there were big homes along this area. There was also in later years a Fire Alarm building along this bit of Bagby.

Sam Houston Park would be the most logical place for these relics. (or my yard)

Wonder what is the latest on saving them? Just don't make em like this any more in these here parts.

Sam Houston Park is becoming sort of the Noah's Ark for demolished neighborhoods. At the rate were going, the park will need major expansion soon.

Leave it to Houston to come up with such a novel idea...other cities just leave the neighborhoods intact....how unimaginitive ^_^ .

• 2 years later...
  • The title was changed to The Homes On Avenida De Las Americas