Harry Holmes Mansion At 1112 Leeland St.

Highrise Tower

Given all the excitement about the new 500-Acre TMC BioPort Campus I wanted to research Holmes Road and see who it was named after.

Harry H. Holmes was born in North Henderson, Illinois on 8/12/1879. He died of a kidney infection on 3/3/1951 at Memorial Hospital (which was on Lamar Street downtown at the time.)  At the time of his death, he lived at 2624 Arbor Street, in the Riverside area. For many years, he lived at 1112 Leeland. I assume that was a nice house, the 1930 Census lists the value at $35,000.

Harry Holmes was a real estate developer who developed the Sunnyside neighborhood in South Houston.  I also read, at one time, he was a City of Houston councilman.

I wonder if there are any pictures of the home at 1112 Leeland Street? Or of his home at 2624 Arbor Street?

If anyone has any additional information about Harry H. Holmes I'd love to hear it.

• Like 1

I found some information (and a picture!) of Harry Holmes.  I do see this guy is called HH Junior. I wonder if Harry Holmes, Senior was also famous and involved with the city? Was Harry Holmes, Sr. the guy responsible for developing Sunnyside? While Harry Holmes, Jr. was the City of Houston councilman?

A March 8, 1948 City of Houston letter regarding licensing for Cadillac Bar and Club at 1016 Houston Ave.  You can see the letterhead on the top right corner specifying the Houston councilmen.  District position 3 is Harry Holmes, Jr.

ZXoUvv2.png

Harry Holmes was an advocate for a Kirby Drive repavement project.   Here's another 1948 article about him and the Kirby project.

ExqWuRg.png