Texas Medical Center Restaurant And Bar Market

pineda

the county has been working on the sims bayou situation for over 10 yrs.....i know they have done quite a bit, however i don't believe they have made it to the west side of 288, but that is in their plans

are you willing to buy a fixer upper? how much square footage do you need? for the price you're willing to spend, i think you have many options.

I believe Sims Bayou construction is a joint effort between Harris County Flood Control and the US Army Corps of Engineers.

Construction is complete downstream (east) of 288 and has proceeded upstream (west) of 288.

My understanding is that the construction will lower the floodplain elevation by as much as 5 feet in the vicinity of 288. That's a HUGE amount.

Downstream of 288, the floodplain is now within the banks of Sims Bayou for the most part. I imagine the same will be true upstream of 288 as construction is completed.

The reason that new developments look muddy is because of the disturbed soil that washes into the streets...once the ground is revegetated, you won't see all the mud in the streets.

FWIW, I live just inside the loop at 288, in South Union. It's a quiet, safe neighborhood. It's rough around the edges, with some abandoned homes, condemned homes and vacant lots, but on the other hand, it's ripe for redevelopment. In fact, I'd guess there've been 10-20 new brick homes built here in the last 2-3 years. You can get a new 1500-2000 sf home here for around $110k-$125k.

It might be worth looking into. There are also other options inside the loop...Scott Terrace, Washington Terrace, 3rd Ward, and then you've got the East End. I find all these neighborhoods to be safe, unless you're slinging coca and pi$$ someone off. Unless you're dealing or stealing, you should have nothing to fear.

I don't mean to go off-topic, but who is building these homes?

I don't have a clue.

I believe one nearby said "Midtown Investment Group" or something like that, but I don't know who the builder was.

If it's one builder, they're not advertising who they are. Well, not matter how many builders, they're not advertising who they are. They're just here and there around the neighborhood.

FWIW, a couple years ago I remember seeing a ton of "Texas Colonial Homes" signs leading to the Foster Place neighborhood, between Scott and Cullen.

the county has been working on the sims bayou situation for over 10 yrs.....i know they have done quite a bit, however i don't believe they have made it to the west side of 288, but that is in their plans

are you willing to buy a fixer upper? how much square footage do you need? for the price you're willing to spend, i think you have many options.

We need about 2500sf . . . can probably go as high as $175,000.

Guest danax
I don't have a clue.

I believe one nearby said "Midtown Investment Group" or something like that, but I don't know who the builder was.

I wonder if it's the stolen Midtown TIRZ money being used by Garnet Coleman. They own many lots, mostly in greater 3rd Ward though, and go by Midtown Development Authority or Midtown Redevelopment Authority.

Guest danax
Stolen?

That is strong words. Can you back up that allegation?

Here's the HAIF topic where we pondered how this was taking place. I would love to hear from Mr. Coleman so that he could explain what's really going on, if it's other that it appears, and I would be more than happy to retract my statement, but you don't have to probe very deep to discover that what appears to be true is: money meant for Midtown is being spent banking land in 3rd Ward to "fight gentrification". The amazing thing is he's getting away with it, and is even proud of it. Apparently it's a legal way to spend TIRZ money, but Coleman's intentions are transparent. Here's more discussion in the Houston Strategies blog.

But as for these homes, if they're for sale, then I doubt they're from the Coleman loot, since his vision is for low-income rental properties to dot the landscape.

Guest danax
Sounds like sour grapes. Sounds like (even you admit) that it appears to be legal to do this.

Doesn't sound like theft if it's legal.

We all know that certain developers get away with things for better or worse.

No sour grapes here. Maybe I'm a simpleton but it seems obvious that he's on the Midtown TIRZ board, not to improve Midtown, but to prevent yuppies from over-running 3rd Ward. Legal or not, that disgusts me as an abuse.

It sounds like you're sticking up for what he's doing. Why?

Not sticking up for anyone and certainly not criminal behavior. But, you mentioned 'stolen' funds. I was just trying to make sure YOU knew what you were saying.

It doesn't sound like stolen, but perhaps misappropriation.

There is a big difference.

i tend ot agree with danax here. the midtown TIRZ funds are for use in that zone, not in another area. i'll bet anyone who is from midtown would be against coleman's actions.

We're looking to move out of Dairy-Ashford/Memorial area closer -- much closer -- to downtown. We go to church near TMC and (hope springs eternal) believe that somewhere there must be pockets of affordable housing.

We're in our late 50s, have kids in college and are behind on the 401(k). In other words, don't have much to put into a home. We're looking for SAFE but also affordable. We've just recently been looking into the City Park/Orem area (both east and west of 288). The homes just east of 288 seem slightly better built than the ones west of 288.

I'd love to hear suggestions where to go to put $150,000 to $175,000 into a home that will hold value.

Is it possible that, due to proximity to Downtown & TMC that these areas will cohere and actually appreciate over time?

Also, what is the flood situation there? Sims Bayou -- what happened to that area during Allison? I seem to remember part of 288 being under water at both the Beltway and 610. Every time we're out there looking at models, it always seems to be REALLY muddy . . . even when it hasn't rained for days.

Is Pearland a bit farther out than you want to go because there are houses in that price range.

Guest danax
Not sticking up for anyone and certainly not criminal behavior. But, you mentioned 'stolen' funds. I was just trying to make sure YOU knew what you were saying.

It doesn't sound like stolen, but perhaps misappropriation.

There is a big difference.

I'm really not interested in the perfect word. His actions are what need scrutiny.

Is Pearland a bit farther out than you want to go because there are houses in that price range.

We're open to ANY suggestions from the good people in this forum. I like -- for the most part! -- what I read here and the "ethos" expressed. We're looking for quality, beyond probably what we can afford, an aesthetic, but also safety and (reasonable) convenience to downtown & TMC. Having lived now almost ten years on the West side of town, we know "a little bit" about a lot of neighborhoods, and many of them seem WAY out of our price range.

Thanks to all.

We're open to ANY suggestions from the good people in this forum. I like -- for the most part! -- what I read here and the "ethos" expressed. We're looking for quality, beyond probably what we can afford, an aesthetic, but also safety and (reasonable) convenience to downtown & TMC. Having lived now almost ten years on the West side of town, we know "a little bit" about a lot of neighborhoods, and many of them seem WAY out of our price range.

Thanks to all.

Do you really need 2500 sq ft? This may be where you might need to make your compromise, if you can and still be happy with the choice.

You could get the location etc in Idylwood, but not the size. You might try Meadowcreek Village, over off of Allendale and Monroe. There are some nice sections in there with some sizeable homes in that price range.

Have you thought about going a little to the southwest of the med center into Post Oak Manor, Willowbrook & Westbury? These are not the new-style homes with the high ceilings, open floorplans, etc. But when "moving in" these are the sort of compromises you have to be prepared to make unless you have a ton of money to spend.

Thanks to all.

Check out The Enclave at Southern Trails (518 exit off of 288). Newmark and Trophy Homes are the builders. Also check out the Shadow Creek Ranch (Shadow Creek Pkwy/2234 exit off of 288) new home center, they can give you a list of the neighborhoods within your price range. There are homes in the $175K range. Finally do a HAR search for zip code 77584 with the amenities that you want.

• 2 months later...
Looks like a major fire that's coming near St. Lukes or the Children's hospital.

Lots of smoke, but from the news, it's behind the Rotary Building on pressler.

Sure you're not seeing smoke from the earlier substation explosion ?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metrop...an/4813224.html

Two fires in one day.... interesting.

• Like 1

Sarcasm noted.

they're showing the roof. The roof was on fire. They let that MF burn almost all the way down. It as almost a non-event, though. It looked far worse than it actually was.

We don't need no water let the mf burn

Burn mf burn

yeah.. so is it out yet ?

• Like 1

I saw the smoke from the Kirby fire today as I boarded the train. It was several huge puffs of black. Didn't see the St Lukes fire, although we did gossip a bit about the fire at the new UT-HSC building that occured a few months ago. The rumor is that it was arson by one of the contractors.

Looks like this one was also a fire in a building under construction. It's a new high rise for MD Anderson, and according to news reports, some construction material ignited somehow.

woolie, that's an interesting rumor about the contractor arson in the UT-HSC building. Why would someone do that? Disgruntled contractor?

I always wondered if it was set by PETA or ALF, since the fire conveniently destroyed the site of the new animal housing rooms, but didn't hurt any animals. But those freaks usually take credit for their destruction.

I always wondered if it was set by PETA or ALF, since the fire conveniently destroyed the site of the new animal housing rooms, but didn't hurt any animals. But those freaks usually take credit for their destruction.

That was my first thought as well. But animal facilities in the TMC typically have very high security and 24h guard staff. One I know of even has anti-truck bomb barricades.

Looks like a major fire that's coming near St. Lukes or the Children's hospital.

Lots of smoke, but from the news, it's behind the Rotary Building on pressler.

There were a couple of weird fires and explosions yesterday. One was in Greenway and the other was at a local college near the airport. Both involved transformers I believe.

Edited by houstonmacbro

There were a couple of weird fires and explosions yesterday. One was in Greenway and the other was at a local college near the airport. Both involved transformers I believe.

Maybe the plan was to try and knock out enough transformers that there wouldn't be a redundant backup, causing a large-scale power failure, which would then tie up emergency services, allowing for an ALF attack on the animal testing facilities. :unsure:

...or not.