Proposed Townhouse At 5326 Calhoun Rd.

I never thought that I would join a nimby group, but after it was recently learned that a lot had been cleared on Calhoun between two existing homes in the 

most eastern edge of Riverside Terrace something had to be done. This is in between McGregor and OST. I'm usually in favor of growth and density but this is ridiculous.

I can't show you an image of the property but I hope that either Hindesky or CityLiving or Highrise would get some images so you can understand the true situation. This is an extremely deep home sized lot, There are homes on all sides of this property front and back. We have an injunction right now while it is being studied. The lot is cleared. They are putting up a 10 or 12 foot high wooden fence on either side of the front yards of the neighbors homes.

The developer is going to run a street down the center of the lot and construct 17 townhouses on both sides of the street. 

Not only will this be a horrible eye sore, an unnatural neighbor for all of these existing homes, but it will create a run off nightmare for an area that has already suffered flooding on Brays Bayou from Hurricane Harvey. It was originally approved before our neighborhood group went to court.

This neighborhood has seen an incredible amount of new homes and remodels in the last 5 years and home prices have gone up exponentially. It is a wonderful demographic mix and an incredibly quiet beautiful neighborhood. This neighborhood has been here for over 80 years, and it's really sad to see this kind of attack by a very shoddy developer, who obviously cares little about what he does to a neighborhood.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobruss said:

I never thought that I would join a nimby group, but after it was recently learned that a lot had been cleared on Calhoun between two existing homes in the 

most eastern edge of Riverside Terrace something had to be done. This is in between McGregor and OST. I'm usually in favor of growth and density but this is ridiculous.

I can't show you an image of the property but I hope that either Hindesky or CityLiving or Highrise would get some images so you can understand the true situation. This is an extremely deep home sized lot, There are homes on all sides of this property front and back. We have an injunction right now while it is being studied. The lot is cleared. They are putting up a 10 or 12 foot high wooden fence on either side of the front yards of the neighbors homes.

The developer is going to run a street down the center of the lot and construct 17 townhouses on both sides of the street. 

Not only will this be a horrible eye sore, an unnatural neighbor for all of these existing homes, but it will create a run off nightmare for an area that has already suffered flooding on Brays Bayou from Hurricane Harvey. It was originally approved before our neighborhood group went to court.

This neighborhood has seen an incredible amount of new homes and remodels in the last 5 years and home prices have gone up exponentially. It is a wonderful demographic mix and an incredibly quiet beautiful neighborhood. This neighborhood has been here for over 80 years, and it's really sad to see this kind of attack by a very shoddy developer, who obviously cares little about what he does to a neighborhood.

This is by no strech a beautiful block with a vape shop, self storage, gas station and billboard like a few lots down. That lot has been empty forever and the density really should increase as it's very close to the MLK light rail stop. Runoff lately has been addressed by city code so I don't find any issues with this project.   Although I do agree that most new houses in that back area have been very shoddy construction .***

Edited by iah77
  • Like 1

Pardon me, but you need to drive by there again and try and visualize a street and townhouses on both sides. You totally misconstrued the look of that block. It would look stupid and certainly detract from the neighborhood. It is a very nice block between Roseneath and N. Roseneath with six very nice two story homes. The homes on Blythewood behind the lot to be developed are very nice homes. One just sold for $800,000. Those stores are on OST and a couple of blocks from the actual homes. This development is proposed to be  built right between two of the homes. To take a lot that had one house and the rest yard and turn it into a lot with a street running down the middle and 17 townhouses and driveways between two homes will definitely not help drainage. Theres plenty of room for density on OST and Griggs. Not between two homes. the developer should have developed some of those lots down near the vape shop on OST. As far as the look of the new homes on the ost edge yes they are the typical shoddily built suburban two story homes. But what do you think those townhouses would look like. I see you live in Riverside Terrace. Just curious. Do you live in that part of Riverside Terrace?

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t understand the objection to this development. It’s a townhome development meant to increase density near a major street with a bus line (OST) and near light rail, across the street from a park and maybe a block or two away from a preexisting medium-sized apartment complex. 

I understand preserving neighborhood character, and would object to something like this in the middle of the neighborhood, but this isn’t it.

I feel strongly that Riverside/Riverside Terrace should be preserved as much as possible, but this is a vacant lot on the edge of the neighborhood.

In general, I'm much more sympathetic to wanting to save something that could be demolished than to worrying about the impact of new construction on existing "character".

I used to live a few blocks from here, and, in general, would have loved to see more development. More people. More stuff. 

Hopefully these houses turn out above average, but, even if they don't, homes are better than vacant lots.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Planning Commission voted on a request for minimum lot size and building lines at the lots next this project. It was deferred for two weeks for legal to check the deed restrictions. If they vote to pass it it goes to the city council to approve. I think the people that want the MLS are hoping to keep anymore projects like the townhomes @bobruss brought up. The townhome project is in litigation that doesn't involve the city or the Planning Commission.

SQk3Cm9.png

40kgmLm.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Both the minimum lot size and the minimum building line were approved and passed to the city council for them to vote on. This won't affect the proposed townhome farm next to these lots. The townhomes are still under litigation not associated with the city.

Wsv88M6.png

Tc81dsN.png

FlQrzvN.jpg

8u8BdWD.png

bhzKZ0T.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Proposed Townhouse At 5326 Calhoun Rd.