2214 W 34th St

IntheKnowHouston

According to a July filing with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, Red Dessert Dive is opening a bakery and dessert shop here.

The owners of Red Dessert Dive purchased the land at 2214 W 34th St in November. 

I don't know if this will become the dessert shop's second location or if they're relocating to Oak Forest. I assume this could be a second location.

What Now Houston reported the filing last month. The publication also reached out to Red Dessert Dive for details, but didn't receive a response.

"According to state licensing information, the newest location for the dessert shop would be at 2214 W. 34th St. in Houston. The space is an existing residential home that is currently zoned commercial and would be converted into a dessert shop. The space could be open to the public sometime in the summer of 2023."

https://whatnowhou.com/second-location-for-red-dessert-dive-could-open/ 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BigRed said:

Interesting - this flanges up with your prior post @IntheKnowHoustonon the current Red Dessert Dive's current building going up for sale.

Yeah, but I would be surprised if Red Dessert moves from their Heights location. That location brings in foot traffic and has high visibility. I think their just expanding to Oak Forest. Maybe in a few months we'll learn more details.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
16 hours ago, goofy said:

image.png.96627b3cf72f2992d36cc0f09f30c1fc.png

not sure if this is the same property 

I believe 2214 1/2 W 34th St may be related to Red Dessert Dive's forthcoming buildout at 2214 W 34th St. But then again, I'm not 100% certain.

If I'm not mistaken, there is another retail planned for the Oak Forest area property. I think I saw mention of it in the plan review. I'll try to find it and post.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

17 hours ago, goofy said:

image.png.96627b3cf72f2992d36cc0f09f30c1fc.png

not sure if this is the same property 

24 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

I believe 2214 1/2 W 34th St may be related to Red Dessert Dive's forthcoming buildout at 2214 W 34th St. But then again, I'm not 100% certain.

If I'm not mistaken, there is another retail planned for the Oak Forest area property. I think I saw mention of it in the plan review. I'll try to find it and post.

2214 1/2 W 34th St is indeed related to Red Dessert Dive's forthcoming buildout at 2214 W 34th St.

Below are additional details included in construction materials submitted for the city' review:

• Proposed: Commercial sitework w/ paving for future retail

• 2214 1/2 W 34th St
    Houston, TX 77018

• Site Plan
    •  Dessert Shop (Red Dessert Dive)
    •  Retail (Future Tenant Build-out)

• Sanitary & Water Line Plan

• Two proposed 1" domestic meters

• One to serve the retail shell building
      • One to serve the dessert shop

• Water connection to 12" main in W. 34th St

• Proposed 6" sanitiary sewer replacement, to an existing manhole

•  Sanitary sewer connection to the 10" main in W. 34th St
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2022 at 8:07 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

According to a July filing with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, Red Dessert Dive is opening a bakery and dessert shop here.

The owners of Red Dessert Dive purchased the land at 2214 W 34th St in November. 

I don't know if this will become the dessert shop's second location or if they're relocating to Oak Forest. I assume this could be a second location.

What Now Houston reported the filing last month. The publication also reached out to Red Dessert Dive for details, but didn't receive a response.

"According to state licensing information, the newest location for the dessert shop would be at 2214 W. 34th St. in Houston. The space is an existing residential home that is currently zoned commercial and would be converted into a dessert shop. The space could be open to the public sometime in the summer of 2023."

https://whatnowhou.com/second-location-for-red-dessert-dive-could-open/ 

Below is the plan review information pertaining to Red Dessert Dive's forthcoming bakery and dessert shop in Oak Forest.

According to the plan review, Red Dessert Dive is converting the existing residence at 2214 W 34th St into a bakery. There are also plans of adding on to the structure.

As @goofy noticed, the property will also include construction of a shell building. 

•  Proposed: 4,468 sq ft retail addition & remodel

•  Red Dessert Dive | 2214 W. 34th St, 77018

•  Proposed dessert shop (Red Dessert Dive): 2,567 sq ft (residence converted w/ addition)

• Floor Plan (Red Dessert Dive)

• 1st floor: 2,567 sq ft, per sheet a1.00
      •  2nd floor: 121 sq ft of storage space, per dimensions

•  Proposed 1,901 sq ft retail shell building

• Floor Plan (retail)
      •  780 sq ft retail space
      • 1,121 sq ft retail space

• Site Plan
    • existing 1,178 sq ft residence (converted to dessert shop)
    •  proposed 1,389 sq ft addition to converted residence
    • proposed 1,901 sq ft retail shell building

• Like 1

Below are additional details pertaining to Red Dessert Dive's forthcoming bakery and dessert shop in Oak Forest.

According to the plan review, Red Dessert Dive is converting the existing residence at 2214 W 34th St into a bakery. There are also plans of adding on to the structure. In notes for planning and developing, there is mention of a patio area for Red Dessert Dive.

In addition to Red Dessert Dive, a freestanding shell building is slated for 2214 1/2 W 34th St. 

Below is the project description. This is from the cover sheet submitted with construction materials to the city:

This project is an addition to an existing 1,178 sq ft home. The addition to the existing home includes a small storage area on the 2nd floor. After all additions the building will be 2,567 sq ft.

This property is already zoned commercial and the proposed business for the existing building is a dessert shop.

The project scope of work will consist of new exterior and interior walls, new roofing, finishes, mechanical systems, electrical systems, and plumbing. Exterior and Interior demolition will occur. Tenant improvements to be constructed per these construction documents.

The proposed project also includes a new freestanding shell building. The shell building will contain 1,901 gross square footage for future tenant buildout. The shell building will be a "cold dark shell" with an unfinished interior. The scope of work excludes hvac, interior lighting, interior plumbing, ceilings, interior walls, and interior finishes. These items are to be completed by the future tenants and will be submitted separately as the space is leased.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steve1363 said:

Their baked goods are pretty good but they get an “F” for friendliness.  I stopped going to the one on Studewood…not worth the hassle of parking nearby.  

I’ve never been! I’m not a sweets person. I’m just happy so many longer term businesses are relocating up here 

19 hours ago, steve1363 said:

Their baked goods are pretty good but they get an “F” for friendliness.  I stopped going to the one on Studewood…not worth the hassle of parking nearby.  

Been going there since it opened.  Couldn't disagree more.  Folks working the counter are always great.  Only complaint is that the cake slices sell out too soon.  

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

The stick framing is up on this. I need to take a picture next time I go by it is several large structures some look interesting. one of the structures appear to be pier and beam foundation. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yay! Thanks for the update, @goofy.

Also, I'm certain when I created this topic, it was posted in the Other Houston Neighborhoods subforum.  Yet somehow it's in this forum now.  This is not in the Greater Heights. It's why I put it in the Other Neighborhoods forum. 

It would be nice if Highrise Tower left other people's topics alone. And know there are others who feel the same based on exchanged private messages.

7 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Yay! Thanks for the update, @goofy.

Also, I'm certain when I created this topic, it was posted in the Other Houston Neighborhoods subforum.  Yet somehow it's in this forum now.  This is not in the Greater Heights. It's why I put it in the Other Neighborhoods forum. 

It would be nice if Highrise Tower left other people's topics alone. And know there are others who feel the same based on exchanged private messages.

There is no indication this topic was moved. And Greater Heights is closer to the truth than the nebulous "Other Neighborhoods". To me, the subforum is irrelevant. I never look at that attribute, and just pull up the new posts list.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Ross said:

There is no indication this topic was moved. And Greater Heights is closer to the truth than the nebulous "Other Neighborhoods". To me, the subforum is irrelevant. I never look at that attribute, and just pull up the new posts list.

Except I know it was moved because I posted this in the Other Neighborhood forum. It was in that forum last week. And now? The topic is in this one. It didn't move itself. But yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about because there is no indication of the move. 🙄

Highrise Tower moved it. He's done the same thing with other member's topics and has been called out (though indirectly) by some in those topics for doing so.

And this property is not considered part of the Greater Heights. As myself and several others have requested, with so much development in the the Oak Forest, Garden Oaks, Independence Heights, and the other neighborhoods in that area, it's long overdue for another subforum. The same goes with the Washington Corridor and Rice Military areas.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 9:48 PM, goofy said:

image.jpeg.de94a8bae3301820ed38e449e89bcc49.jpegUniverse was vibing today. 

Below is the text from the screenshot of Red Dessert Dive's recent announcement regarding their forthcoming Oak Forest storefront.

The dessert shop is opening a second location at 2214 W 34th St. 

We are so excited to officially announce the opening of our 2nd location on 34th St. in Garden Oaks/Oak Forest!!! Our property also includes a brand new retail building that is now available For Lease! Please email us for more information at info@reddessertdive.com.

This has been a LONG time coming as this sweet little business continues to grow. Chef Ashley has come on as a partner and there is nobody more deserving! We have so many exciting additions with this new building, including a private party room, a beautiful patio and large green space that will be available for rent as well! 

This project has been such a labor of love, and several years in the making. We know how crazy the construction process is, so we wouldn’t dare proclaim an opening date just yet, but we look forward to seeing y’all within the next few months! Wooohooooo, Let’s Gooooooooo!!! 

And don’t worry, our Heights location isn’t going anywhere!

https://www.facebook.com/redhouston/posts/pfbid0SDKci9nvFDK59u21RRdsQYVg17TpHCfDKWRfJ6W4nXwTb7twzFDRZZePp6N3uhjKl

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4arKIaJHdx/

On 3/12/2024 at 9:48 PM, goofy said:

image.jpeg.de94a8bae3301820ed38e449e89bcc49.jpegUniverse was vibing today. 

Photos of the construction of Red Dessert Dive's second location.  These are from the bakery's social media announcing its expansion.

As mentioned, Red Dessert Dive is expanding to Oak Forest. Additionally, the owners are adding a commercial building available to lease to future retail tenants. 

Red Dessert Dive's forthcoming location is located at 2214 W 34th St.

fZy7ZKl.jpeg

4R0xF7i.jpeg

iaswRrn.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

A mechanical permit was purchased yesterday for 2214 W 34th St.

Details from the permit:

• Use: 1,178 sf residence to bakery w/ 1,389 sf addition (M/2) 1-2-5-A2-B '15 IBC
  • FCC Group: Non-residential alteration

Red Dessert Dive, a local bakery, is opening its second location at 2214 W 34th St. In addition to its forthcoming Oak Forest outpost, the sweet shop also operate in the Heights at 1045 Studewood St.

hEMkahW.png

• Like 2