Memorial Hospital At 602 Lamar St.

tw2ntyse7en

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know what happened to Memorial Hospital Downtown? It was operational in 1974 near Main & Franklin, in a multistory historical building. (I believe it was across the street from the then-named Hyatt Regency Tower.) Is it still there? Operating under another name? I worked there for a short time and would like information for verifying employment.

I'd appreciate any info. j

The downtown Memorial Hospital relocated to a site on 59 in Sharpstown in 1977. They are still operational there as Memorial-Hermann and might be able to help you. The old hospital buildings were on the block bounded by Lamar, Louisiana, Dallas, and Smith. They were demolished for construction of the 1100 Louisiana building.

• 11 months later...
The downtown Memorial Hospital relocated to a site on 59 in Sharpstown in 1977. They are still operational there as Memorial-Hermann and might be able to help you. The old hospital buildings were on the block bounded by Lamar, Louisiana, Dallas, and Smith. They were demolished for construction of the 1100 Louisiana building.

Is Ben Taub Hospital still in operation?

Does anybody know what happened to Memorial Hospital Downtown? It was operational in 1974 near Main & Franklin, in a multistory historical building. (I believe it was across the street from the then-named Hyatt Regency Tower.) Is it still there? Operating under another name? I worked there for a short time and would like information for verifying employment.

I'd appreciate any info. j

It is no longer there. It was torn down to construct the Hyatt.
Is Ben Taub Hospital still in operation?

Yes.

B)

Actually it was the block north of the Hyatt (1100 Louisiana). According to my 1940 map, what is now the Hyatt had a service station, some apartments, and a cafe.

About those old photos that you posted of those old theatres (Metropolitan, Kirby, Texan, etc.). Does anything, any kind of physical remnant, remain of any of them today? Even an empty, boarded-up, rat-infested building?

About those old photos that you posted of those old theatres (Metropolitan, Kirby, Texan, etc.). Does anything, any kind of physical remnant, remain of any of them today? Even an empty, boarded-up, rat-infested building?

The Metropolitan and Texan theaters are long gone. The building where the Kirby theater was is still there, but it has been heavily remodeled and nothing remains of the theater itself.

The Metropolitan and Texan theaters are long gone. The building where the Kirby theater was is still there, but it has been heavily remodeled and nothing remains of the theater itself.

When you say "remodeled" do you mean that inside all of the seats and the snack bar have been removed and that there is some other business in there? Back when the Kirby was in operation, did you ever go to a movie there?

I went to many movies there. It was not as "upscale" as the Loew's, Metropolitan, or Majestic. One of the most memorable was a Mummy movie with Lon Chaney, Jr., as the Mummy. I was only about 9 years old and I walked from my house to the Kirby. It was dark when I came out of the movie, and I ran all the way home to where I lived on Elgin. That was a long way.

Another I remember seeing there, in my teen years, was Bwana Devil...one of the first 3-D movies, if not the first.

That's a cool photo Subdude. Is that a postcard?

By the way, what resolution do you usually scan your postcards that you post here? Do you resize them at all after you scan them?

thanks!

No, not a post card, just a photo I happened to have. I don't remember where it came from. According to a downtown map, the entrance in front led into a long hall. The theater itself was behind the Kirby building n the middle of the block. Btw, the Kirby building would be vastly improved if the owners would remove the cheesy disco mirror facade and go back to the sandstone finish shown here.

I do have to resize pictures to a "web page" size that my scanner has as a default that is something like 640 * 400.

• 1 year later...