Boomerang Is Back

GoAtomic

For all you diehard fans of everything 50's ...

Picked up the latest Atomic Ranch last night and discovered that Formica has relaunched their period 'Boomerang' laminate pattern (originally called Skylark) for use in kitchens, baths, etc. Available in four authentic 50's colors, no less.

Checked their homepage (http://www.formica.com/publish/site/na/us/en/index.html) and sure enough, there's a picture of it on a counter in the Coral color.

Interesting note, according to their press release, is that although this design was originally done by designer Brooks Stevens (who I believe did some car designs in the 50's), it was later modified by none other than Raymond Loewy. No wonder it has stood the test of time so well.

I'll be ordering mine tomorrow .... ;)

Interesting note, according to their press release, is that although this design was originally done by designer Brooks Stevens (who I believe did some car designs in the 50's), it was later modified by none other than Raymond Loewy. No wonder it has stood the test of time so well.

I'll be ordering mine tomorrow .... ;)

Like Loewy, Brooks Stevens designed for Studebaker, in addition to designing the Jeepster and the Excaliber. I've seen references to a house he designed for himself too, but haven't been able to find an image online.

Good ol' "Boomerang"! Like Fiestaware, 501s and Converse sneakers, some things never go out of style.

F6959.jpg

• The title was changed to Boomerang Is Back

Archived