What Will You Remember Most Of Houston '05?

DJ V Lawrence

Fondest memory of what once was Houston 2005  

39 members have voted

1. 1. H-town 05

• Tsunami Relief
    • Katrina/Rita Relief
    • Astroworld Closing
    • Texas Longhorns season
    • Astros' 1st World Series
    • Rita Evacuation/Oil Crisis
    • Destiny's Child ends group
    • Lakewood Church at Compaq Center
    • H-Town Hip Hop breakout year
    • BP plant explosion
    • Tom Delay
    • Dan Rather Retires
    • Houston road and building renovations
    • Fellow Houstonians serving in Iraq
    • Other

the obvious next question was when did he move to Houston, Wharton actually has his childhood home in a park off of 59S.

I don't know when he moved here. He lived on Prince. My Mom told me her girlfriend had a crush on him so they would ride their bikes back and forth in front of his house trying to act nonchalant. Apparently that didn't work out so well for her. :lol:

Lots of well-known people that claim Houston as their hometown came from surrounding towns. Hell, my Dad came here from Boston; could never say "y'all" correctly but always claimed Houston as his home. Boston is alot further away than Wharton. I know it is because the plate in my head just told me...now it's telling me I need to go take my meds and put the electrodes back on my temples... :blink:

B)

Edited by nmainguy

Ummmm, DJ, you do know that UT is in Austin right ?

Dan Rather is from Wharton, but I guess it's close enough to Houston.

edit) the obvious next question was when did he move to Houston, Wharton actually has his childhood home in a park off of 59S.

...and you do realize that there may be a FEW people living in Houston that went to UT, cheer for UT, travel to Austin to see the Longhorns, or realize the fact that Houston is located in Texas, thus making Houston eligible to cheer on UT, Texas A&M, and/or Texas Tech, right? I think I've met more UT graduates and fans in Houston than I have UH graduates or fans of their sports programs, and that's saying a lot. A&M, too. Wait 'till you see how many Houstonians will tune in and cheer on UT when the Rose Bowl comes on later today...

And Dan Rather. He's a Houston legend , I thought he went to Love Elementary School , Hamilton Middle School, Reagan High School, grew up in the Heights, worked as a reporter for the Houston Chronicle, channel 13 and channel 11, and attended UH. He's the most influential news person ever affiliated with Houston. And when they talk about his life, Wharton's rarely ever mention; it's always his life in Houston he remembers.

He and his family moved to Houston when he was 18 months old. Address: 1432 Prince Street in the Heights.

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

...and you do realize that there may be a FEW people living in Houston that went to UT, cheer for UT, travel to Austin to see the Longhorns, or realize the fact that Houston is located in Texas, thus making Houston eligible to cheer on UT, Texas A&M, and/or Texas Tech, right? I think I've met more UT graduates and fans in Houston than I have UH graduates or fans of their sports programs, and that's saying a lot. A&M, too. Wait 'till you see how many Houstonians will tune in and cheer on UT when the Rose Bowl comes on later today...

And Dan Rather. He's a Houston legend , I thought he went to Love Elementary School , Hamilton Middle School, Reagan High School, grew up in the Heights, worked as a reporter for the Houston Chronicle, channel 13 and channel 11, and attended UH. He's the most influential news person ever affiliated with Houston. And when they talk about his life, Wharton's rarely ever mention; it's always his life in Houston he remembers.

He and his family moved to Houston when he was 18 months old. Address: 1432 Prince Street in the Heights.

I will be one of those many Houstonians that will cheer on Vince and the boys, but the "spotlight" will be turned to Austin, not Houston. I will concede Dan Rather though, he's a Houstonian, born in Wharton.

I will be one of those many Houstonians that will cheer on Vince and the boys, but the "spotlight" will be turned to Austin, not Houston. I will concede Dan Rather though, he's a Houstonian, born in Wharton.

Austin's the home, but I think the spotlight would be on the whole state of Texas, and anyone around the world, including myself in Korea, who's proud to be a Texan. I also believe Aggies are cheering the Longhorns as well. I'm a die-hard Longhorns fan, but if (no, WHEN) A&M makes the national title game, I'll be cheering 'em on, too.

Austin's the home, but I think the spotlight would be on the whole state of Texas, and anyone around the world, including myself in Korea, who's proud to be a Texan. I also believe Aggies are cheering the Longhorns as well. I'm a die-hard Longhorns fan, but if (no, WHEN) A&M makes the national title game, I'll be cheering 'em on, too.

DJ, are you in the Military ? I can definately see the spotlight on the state, good call. :D

DJ, are you in the Military ? I can definately see the spotlight on the state, good call. :D

Thanx, TJones :)

I served three years for the Army and was stationed here in Korea. Finished my time in July of, you guessed it, 2005. I'm now for the time being an english teacher in Korea, but I'll be headed back to the Destiny City for good within the next few months.

Reason why I like this thread this much...I NEVER saw anything related to Houston on Korean or Asian media before 2005 (except Yao Ming on Chinese stations, Janet Jackson at the Super Bowl, and the MLB All Star Game). But every story on that list with the exception of Foley, road construction, or Houstonians in Iraq, made international headlines, and I got to hear Houston's name every night on the news since the Tsunami relief (which was January). The tennis tournament was shown on repeat here for about two weeks. The World Series: they STILL show the playoff games, including the ones we won, every night. NLDS, everything. Joel Olsteen's book is available here in Korean. Destiny's Child is the most popular music group in Korean nightclubs. Swisha House videos are now shown on MTV Asia. Dan Rather's life was shown as a tv special via BBC. But Katrina, New Orleans, and Houston were shown nonstop from when Katrina hit Florida, until at least three weeks after RITA hit. MLS, Astroworld, and Tom Delay were all shortly touched on Korean news as well.

One story that Houstonians were not aware of: Anytime a famous Korean businessman had to go to a hospital, they sometimes opted to go Texas Medical Center. I got to see Memorial Herman and Ben Taub on the news quite a few times because they were there, and the Korean media was talking about how well rounded TMC's treatment facilities are.

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

I was wondering how you got over there, I agree about the news aspect on here, you can find it all on here.

I can atest to Ben Taub's medical professionals, I was taken there, not by choice but by need. They have THE best trauma center in the country. I was literally a deadman on New Year's Eve 2000. I got jumped by 2 guys in a bar and one had a knife, he cut my left hand and the side of my torso about 18 inches or so. 6.5 hours and 2 teams of doctors, one on my hand and one on my spleen and intestines. They saved both and my life. I can see why wealthy Koreans would want to go there.

Just a few more hours now til Vince and the boys create havoc on the Trojans ! Hook'em Horns ! :D

Edited by TJones

I was wondering how you got over there, I agree about the news aspect on here, you can find it all on here.

I can atest to Ben Taub's medical professionals, I was taken there, not by choice but by need. They have THE best trauma center in the country. I was literally a deadman on New Year's Eve 2000. I got jumped by 2 guys in a bar and one had a knife, he cut my left hand and the side of my torso about 18 inches or so. 6.5 hours and 2 teams of doctors, one on my hand and one on my spleen and intestines. They saved both and my life. I can see why wealthy Koreans would want to go there.

Just a few more hours now til Vince and the boys create havoc on the Trojans ! Hook'em Horns ! :D

I'm proud to hear about your recovery. Stay Texas Tough, TJ!!! I'm also proud to say my mom and aunt both work at TMC! (Hermann and TIRR). :P Sorry, I love 'em. Just had to throw that out...

Something I forgot to mention about Houston 2005: Houston Fine Arts got a HUGE donation from a heiress's will this year. Anyone remember that story (donor's name)? (think it was worth around $400 million)

Oh, GO HORNS!!

HOUSTON -- An oil heiress's gift to a Houston museum could eventually be up to $450 million.

Caroline Wiess Law was the daughter of one of the founders of the Humble Oil and Refining Company -- which became part of what is now ExxonMobil. She made the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, the prime beneficiary of her estate after her death in 2003.

What I wont forget is the Katrina and Hurricane Rita :(

also losing a amusement park for the city

alot of construction getting done on highways with bad traffic

hopefully this would be a better year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :closedeyes:

Population only went up 3,000 :wacko:

2004 to 2005

Census Houston Population growth screen 1990 to 2005

2,009,690 2003-04

2,012,626 2004-2005

CensusHoustongrowthpopulation.gif:unsure:

Edited by Dominax

What I wont forget is the Katrina and Hurricane Rita :(

also losing a amusement park for the city

alot of construction getting done on highways with bad traffic

hopefully this would be a better year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :closedeyes:

Population only went up 3,000 :wacko:

2004 to 2005

Census Houston Population growth screen 1990 to 2005

2,009,690 2003-04

2,012,626 2004-2005

CensusHoustongrowthpopulation.gif:unsure:

I'm waiting for 2005-2006. That will really tell the Katrina tale. And if there's a decrease in 2006-2007, that will also be telling.

I'm waiting for 2005-2006. That will really tell the Katrina tale. And if there's a decrease in 2006-2007, that will also be telling.

DECREASE

I doubt it will :o

but ill hate for it to happen! :angry:

from emporis.com

check when July 15th, 2006

if increase it will be 2,026K :rolleyes:

or may decrease it will 2,008K :(

hopefully to see it increase at least 50,000+

Edited by Dominax

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...