What Will You Remember Most Of Houston '05?

DJ V Lawrence

Fondest memory of what once was Houston 2005  

39 members have voted

1. 1. H-town 05

• Tsunami Relief
    • Katrina/Rita Relief
    • Astroworld Closing
    • Texas Longhorns season
    • Astros' 1st World Series
    • Rita Evacuation/Oil Crisis
    • Destiny's Child ends group
    • Lakewood Church at Compaq Center
    • H-Town Hip Hop breakout year
    • BP plant explosion
    • Tom Delay
    • Dan Rather Retires
    • Houston road and building renovations
    • Fellow Houstonians serving in Iraq
    • Other

Thought it'd be kinda cool to reminise. I don't think we've had a year this big since 1836 :lol:

I put together what were the 14 most memorable events I remember happening last year with Houston's name on it (in no particular order). If you choose other, feel free to tell us what it was...

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

Wish the 'Stros could have pulled out at least one victory against the South Side hitmen...

At least they won the 18 inning game against the Braves (longest playoff game ever) and came back after Albert Pujols ripped their hearts out in Game Five with that home run.

Without Clemens, I don't see this year's team going as far.

They were over-achievers in all areas...

Thoughts?

Wish the 'Stros could have pulled out at least one victory against the South Side hitmen...

At least they won the 18 inning game against the Braves (longest playoff game ever) and came back after Albert Pujols ripped their hearts out in Game Five with that home run.

Thoughts?

I'd forgotten about that Braves game. Man that was a killer. I rarely watch baseball, and I watched that one to the bitter end.

Bar none, what I will remember from 2005 is the 9 hours it took me to make the 2 hour drive up to east Texas, away from Rita. All the while thinking to myself, glad this wasn't a terrorist attack, we'd all be dead or glowing in the dark/what the hell is homeland security doing with my tax dollars.

Edited by jm1fd

I'll remember all your avatars. Yes, all 83,239,560.............

That hurts man ! <_<-_-:lol:.................hmmmmmmm, I feel another one coming on.

BTW......jm1fd, that is an excellent point, I think that is an great issue, I hate to admit that I cannot defend our current Gov. on. I don't think any Gov. would have been prepared for it. Just too many people and not enough roads, and too many dumb people behind the wheels of cars that don't know how to drive in the RAIN, GOD help you that there is an actual crisis going on, then those people are gonna really screw ya !

Edited by TJones

Thoughts?

You say they came back, but I really believe the Astros lost the World Series to Pujols and the Cards. Even though they were able to win the NLCS, their rotation was all botched for the WS...not to mention the hit in confidence. Sheesh, that shot is still ringing in Minute Maid Park.

As for Clemens -- if he's healthy, he'll be back in June or July. I'm reasonably sure he has a handshake deal in place with Drayton. Maybe it's just my blind fanaticism for the Stros talking, but I just don't see those two parting company that way. Look for him to get a special contract for about 10 million for half a season -- not bad. Two conditions -- he's healthy and the Astros have it in place to make a serious push for the playoffs. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

You say they came back, but I really believe the Astros lost the World Series to Pujols and the Cards. Even though they were able to win the NLCS, their rotation was all botched for the WS...not to mention the hit in confidence. Sheesh, that shot is still ringing in Minute Maid Park.

As for Clemens -- if he's healthy, he'll be back in June or July. I'm reasonably sure he has a handshake deal in place with Drayton. Maybe it's just my blind fanaticism for the Stros talking, but I just don't see those two parting company that way. Look for him to get a special contract for about 10 million for half a season -- not bad. Two conditions -- he's healthy and the Astros have it in place to make a serious push for the playoffs. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

BIG BUZZER NOISE ! The 'Stros forgot all about that "Monster" shot as soon as they sent Pujols and the rest of those NLCS "1st place losers" packing. I agree that Clemens will be back, how can you pass up a sweet gig like he has now, all those years of being one of the best has paid off.

BTW......jm1fd, that is an excellent point, I think that is an great issue, I hate to admit that I cannot defend our current Gov. on. I don't think any Gov. would have been prepared for it. Just too many people and not enough roads, and too many dumb people behind the wheels of cars that don't know how to drive in the RAIN, GOD help you that there is an actual crisis going on, then those people are gonna really screw ya !

We have the infrastructure to move zillions of people, including the idiots, in and out of town at rush hour every day. The problem arose when people's destinations expanded past the rush hour optimized infrastructure. Choke points which wouldn't be a problem for normal traffic flow became issues...like the stoplight in Corrigan, and the Washington Ave. bypass in Cleveland....these things could have been easily fixed with a bit of organization.

BIG BUZZER NOISE ! The 'Stros forgot all about that "Monster" shot as soon as they sent Pujols and the rest of those NLCS "1st place losers" packing.

Wishing it doesn't make it so. And the evidence certainly doesn't support your claim. The Astros were one pitch from going into the World Series with the rotation intact. Roy O's masterful performance would have been much bigger in Game 1 against Chicago, rather than mopping up the Cards. They were one pitch from winning their first NLCS at home. That would have also meant more rest for Clemens, who was not able to pitch in the WS. It was devastating...and may have spelled the end of Brad Lidge. There is a precedent for one big shot ruining a pitcher, you know. Not to mention his repeat performance in the World Series.

PS - Anyone who would refer to the Cards as a bunch of losers is not much of a baseball fan...or is a Cubs' fan, which may be worse.

My most memorable positive moment of 2005 -- The Cards fans standing after the last game in their beloved ballpark, having just lost the NLCS and knowing the wrecking ball was coming to Busch chanting, "Let's go, Astros!"

Classy fans. BASEBALL fans. People who know there's no big buzzer sound in this great game.

Wishing it doesn't make it so. And the evidence certainly doesn't support your claim. The Astros were one pitch from going into the World Series with the rotation intact. Roy O's masterful performance would have been much bigger in Game 1 against Chicago, rather than mopping up the Cards. They were one pitch from winning their first NLCS at home. That would have also meant more rest for Clemens, who was not able to pitch in the WS. It was devastating...and may have spelled the end of Brad Lidge. There is a precedent for one big shot ruining a pitcher, you know. Not to mention his repeat performance in the World Series.

PS - Anyone who would refer to the Cards as a bunch of losers is not much of a baseball fan...or is a Cubs' fan, which may be worse.

My most memorable positive moment of 2005 -- The Cards fans standing after the last game in their beloved ballpark, having just lost the NLCS and knowing the wrecking ball was coming to Busch chanting, "Let's go, Astros!"

Classy fans. BASEBALL fans. People who know there's no big buzzer sound in this great game.

Good post. St Louis is most deffinately a classy sports town.

Maybe you didn't see the oh so "classy" Cards fans getting into a scuffle with channel 13's Tim Melton, as they were shooting the bird and yelling "F- The Astros" on camera, while he is trying to do his report after those "classy" Cards lost. Yeah, real classy. Oh,"First place losers" means Second Place, chief, sorry for the confusion. The World Series is The Prom of baseball, you dance with who brought you there, and if you lose your best dance move, you better have some others to back it up, and hope your date can take some of the pressure off of you. ;)

Edited by TJones

Maybe you didn't see the oh so "classy" Cards fans getting into a scuffle with channel 13's Tim Melton, as they were shooting the bird and yelling "F- The Astros" on camera, while he is trying to do his report after those "classy" Cards lost. Yeah, real classy. Oh,"First place losers" means Second Place, chief, sorry for the confusion. The World Series is The Prom of baseball, you dance with who brought you there, and if you lose your best dance move, you better have some others to back it up, and hope your date can take some of the pressure off of you. ;)

Yours is incomprehensible rambling.

Cards fans are the best in baseball. No one knows the game better nor shows more reverence for it. They are respected across the baseball world. The players are too. Pujols is a supreme gentleman -- one of the most respected people off the field and probably the best overall player on it. Guys like Edmonds, Eckstein, Carpenter, Rolen, Suppan, Isringhausen and others are known for being top-shelf competitors and great ambassadors of the game and their team. While I'm sure there are some bad fans out there, for the most part -- more than in any other sport and in any other city -- St. Louis fans have furthered this condition, rather than prove it wrong.

The Cards also were not "second place," so the the confusion was completely yours. They won their pennant, but failed to advance in the playoffs. The Astros were actually second place in the NL Central, so I guess they were the first place losers.

I am a staunch Astros fan and a fan of MLB. You sound like a football fan with your simplistic observations and buzzer sounds -- not that there's anything wrong with that, chief.

The World Series is The Prom of baseball, you dance with who brought you there, and if you lose your best dance move, you better have some others to back it up, and hope your date can take some of the pressure off of you. ;)

You wink as if we should get what you're saying here. I don't think we do. Are you saying the Astros took the Sox to the prom, and when the Astros got on the dance floor, they lost their best dance move - thus depending on the Sox to take the pressure off by dancing better in their place? Which if I understand correctly, you're implying that the Astros wanted the Soxs to dance better- err.. win?

For the love of God, please explain this.

Edited by Jeebus

You wink as if we should get what you're saying here. I don't think we do. Are you saying the Astros took the Sox to the prom, and when the Astros got on the dance floor, they lost their best dance move - thus depending on the Sox to take the pressure off by dancing better in their place? Which if I understand correctly, you're implying that the Astros wanted the Soxs to dance better- err.. win?

For the love of God, please explain this.

Close, I understand that the analogy was a little far reaching for some, I would have expected you to get it Jeebus. Astros went to the Prom and just didn't have enough to complete the dance. They lost Clemens, one of their best "dance moves", so the rest of the TEAM, the "date", has to step it up, and we just couldn't. We'll beat the Cards again next year to go back, that is if the Cards can make it that far. :blink:

Dal, ok buddy, maybe I can make it more simplistic for you since you can't seem to comprehend. I'll ask you this, Did the Astros represent the NL this past year in the World Series ? Who did the Astros beat to get to the World Series ? So, who was "second place" in the NL this year ? You truly sound like a Cards fan defending your precious Pujols and others instead of a "staunch Astros fan". I never said that the Cards were a bad team, they just weren't as good as ours this year. If you have never heard the term" first place loser", then I can see how you would take the comment the wrong way. It's ok for your Cards to be second place in the NL, they played as well as they could last year. You also apparently didn't get to see the Cards fans "class" shine through on TV. Maybe you understand a little better now Tiger. :huh:

BTW, Dal, are you really of the belief that a single swing of the bat could break the 'Stros, "ye who have little faith", and you call yourself a 'Stros fan ? My belief is that the 'Stros are a good enough team, that they could get the job done no matter who is pitching, and your ridiculous comment about, " I really believe the Astros lost the World Series to Pujols and the Cards. Even though they were able to win the NLCS, their rotation was all botched for the WS...not to mention the hit in confidence. Sheesh, that shot is still ringing in Minute Maid Park.", really makes me question your loyalty. You should just go ahead and move to St.Louis now, and get ready to cheer on your boys.

Edited by TJones

Close, I understand that the analogy was a little far reaching for some, I would have expected you to get it Jeebus. Astros went to the Prom and just didn't have enough to complete the dance. They lost Clemens, one of their best "dance moves", so the rest of the TEAM, the "date", has to step it up, and we just couldn't. We'll beat the Cards again next year to go back, that is if the Cards can make it that far. :blink:

Okay.. so you're saying that the Astros went to the prom solo? So then why were the Sox at the prom? Were they chaparoning the dance?

Okay.. so you're saying that the Astros went to the prom solo? So then why were the Sox at the prom? Were they chaparoning the dance?

:lol::lol: , Nooooooooooooooooooooo, argh ! :wacko: but you are getting warmer. The Sox got to be the King and Queen of the Prom, and we basically missed the whole thing because we were drunk in the limo. :lol: Jeebus I know you are just messin with me now !

Ok, I regret the tangent all together.

Edited by TJones

Yours is incomprehensible rambling.

Cards fans are the best in baseball. No one knows the game better nor shows more reverence for it. They are respected across the baseball world. The players are too. Pujols is a supreme gentleman -- one of the most respected people off the field and probably the best overall player on it. Guys like Edmonds, Eckstein, Carpenter, Rolen, Suppan, Isringhausen and others are known for being top-shelf competitors and great ambassadors of the game and their team. While I'm sure there are some bad fans out there, for the most part -- more than in any other sport and in any other city -- St. Louis fans have furthered this condition, rather than prove it wrong.

The Cards also were not "second place," so the the confusion was completely yours. They won their pennant, but failed to advance in the playoffs. The Astros were actually second place in the NL Central, so I guess they were the first place losers.

I am a staunch Astros fan and a fan of MLB. You sound like a football fan with your simplistic observations and buzzer sounds -- not that there's anything wrong with that, chief.

Hey Dal, sounds like you know your baseball. Anybody who knows the game knows what you emphasized in your post is correct. St Louis fans are as orthodox as they come, and they know the game of baseball as well as any city in the country.

nmainguy pulls TJ off the tangent...

I think our world-class response to all things Katrina may end up being the most remembered event of the decade-much less '05 IMO.

Of course, the Astros are a close second for most memorable of '05.

B)

Okay, don't take this question into the polls, but at least as a debate on this topic....

What event or people do you think changed Houston forever more than any other? Every choice on my poll is a perfect example of something or someone that helped change the perception (or previously lack there of) in Houston. Think about it...

-We made the World Series for the first time...

-UT is FINALLY playing for a national title...

-Celebrity Tennis Tournament for Tsunami Relief at Toyota Center was talked about by the world...

-A Houston area music group is the highest selling girl group of ALL TIME... (Destiny's Child)

-Tom Delay's scandal is rocking Washington D.C for the time being...

-Lakewood Church now has the largest congregation in North America, and made national news...

(we even saw Joel Olsteen on Larry King Live. I even saw people here in Korea reading his best-selling book on the streets. Not one person. A number of people)

-Dan Rather was one of the most influential Newscasters of all time (and is Houstonian) before he retired

-We were the first major evacuation after Katrina because of Rita...

-We had a number of rappers take over the international airwaves...

-We lost the oldest theme park in Six Flags

-Our city housed the largest temporary housing project in US history after Katrina

- A number of businesses are reopening because of road constructions completing

- we lost Foleys

- We gained a posibility of Astrodome becoming a hotel

- gained a major sports franchise (MLS) and hear that we may get NHL as well

- we gained permanently as many as 150,000 new residents tp kick off 2006

There's no way Houston could not be be considered world-class after all that in just one year. I'll go a step futther. I'd say Houston was probably THE city of 2005, with New Orleans being second, and London being third.

What event or people do you think changed Houston forever more than any other? Every choice on my poll is a perfect example of something or someone that helped change the perception (or previously lack there of) in Houston. Think about it...

I think theres two ways to look at your question: "What events changed the nation/world's perception of Houston?" and, "What events changed Houstonian's perception of Houston?".

My example is Houston losing Foleys. Besides Houstonians, who else was truely affected by this? On the other hand, the world knows Houston now as the city that took in New Orleans in a time of need.

Ummmm, DJ, you do know that UT is in Austin right ?

Dan Rather is from Wharton, but I guess it's close enough to Houston.

edit) the obvious next question was when did he move to Houston, Wharton actually has his childhood home in a park off of 59S.

Edited by TJones

Dal, ok buddy, maybe I can make it more simplistic for you since you can't seem to comprehend. I'll ask you this, Did the Astros represent the NL this past year in the World Series ? Who did the Astros beat to get to the World Series ? So, who was "second place" in the NL this year ? You truly sound like a Cards fan defending your precious Pujols and others instead of a "staunch Astros fan". I never said that the Cards were a bad team, they just weren't as good as ours this year. If you have never heard the term" first place loser", then I can see how you would take the comment the wrong way. It's ok for your Cards to be second place in the NL, they played as well as they could last year. You also apparently didn't get to see the Cards fans "class" shine through on TV. Maybe you understand a little better now Tiger. :huh:

BTW, Dal, are you really of the belief that a single swing of the bat could break the 'Stros, "ye who have little faith", and you call yourself a 'Stros fan ? My belief is that the 'Stros are a good enough team, that they could get the job done no matter who is pitching, and your ridiculous comment about, " I really believe the Astros lost the World Series to Pujols and the Cards. Even though they were able to win the NLCS, their rotation was all botched for the WS...not to mention the hit in confidence. Sheesh, that shot is still ringing in Minute Maid Park.", really makes me question your loyalty. You should just go ahead and move to St.Louis now, and get ready to cheer on your boys.

I regret wasting time taking you seriously.