Stop The Insanity

WestGrayGuy

I may not be a world renowned architecture critic but come on.... This is what is proposed for Austin's new courthouse.

image_2070135.jpg

Wasn't city hall enough? I realize that the Intel building is sitting over there all sad, lonely and unfinished but this seems a little too out there for my taste. It seems like its trying to be modern to be cool which in turn makes it uncool.

Perhaps I am crazy and yes, this is my opinion. I like classical architecture, especially for court buildings.

I like it. It fits Autin's new architectural vernacular. Why courthouses are suppose to look "predictable"? I do not know.

I like it too. Just because its a courthouse doesn't mean that it's supposed to look like the typical courthouse.

The King is korrect, there has been a movement to upgrade courthouse architecture. The WSJ had a long article about it not long ago (you wouldn't know it to see Houston, however). I like the rendering overall, except that the little tiny rendering people make it look excessively massive so it's hard to get a feel for the true scale. If it's really ten stories high or so it is too much of a block for that size. It's all about scale and proportions.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the design, it is cutting edge in my opinion. This is something that will put Austin on the map again. I think the city hall is a great piece of architecture. Civic leaders in Houston should be a little more progressive when it comes to architecture. Houston has some spectacular archictecure, but as of late, seems somewhat staid.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
What does it say when the style that your legal system chooses to represent itself is Deconstruction?

I get what you mean. You must be a real traditionalist. And, yes, many corporations or businesses choose a design which somehow ethereally represent them.

BUT .... when looking at current global architectural trends, this fits into several "thinking outside the box" patterns.

Look at some of the new architecture coming out of London and Berlin. Talk about Deconstruction! At least this one still has relatively "normal" angles. :rolleyes:

I like it. And i do agree that if it is proportioned properly, it could actually become a new landmark for Austin.

Keep in mind, as well, Austin is one of the "New Hotspots" of architecture in the US, so of course new designs will be built here.

The latest design for the new federal courthouse now planned for 7-stories tall. It is designed by Mack Scogin Merrill Elam Architects.

austincourthouse6xs.jpg

Jeez, I liked the first one better and I didn't even really like the first one.

I tend to agree with Coog, although I don't think that traditional styles should necessarily be strictly adhered to. Buildings should reflect their users...and I'm not all that in favor of innovative new laws because they tend to have unintended consequences and are incrementally restrictive of the public. I'd prefer to see more of a bare-bones 'Keep It Simple Stupid' approach to law. If anything, I'd like to see a completely transparent glass box with only very sparse, simple, and functional ornamentation.

I get what you mean. You must be a real traditionalist. And, yes, many corporations or businesses choose a design which somehow ethereally represent them.

BUT .... when looking at current global architectural trends, this fits into several "thinking outside the box" patterns.

Look at some of the new architecture coming out of London and Berlin. Talk about Deconstruction! At least this one still has relatively "normal" angles. :rolleyes:

I like it. And i do agree that if it is proportioned properly, it could actually become a new landmark for Austin.

Keep in mind, as well, Austin is one of the "New Hotspots" of architecture in the US, so of course new designs will be built here.

I don't think I'm a traditionalist - I've liked other deconstructive buildings (although it's not my favorite style) - I'm just not sure it's appropriate for a building that represents justice. Wouldn't one want a style that expresses some kind of order or symmetry?

Not sure what this has to do with corporations or business, or what you mean by "ethereally" representing something.

I don't think I'm a traditionalist - I've liked other deconstructive buildings (although it's not my favorite style) - I'm just not sure it's appropriate for a building that represents justice. Wouldn't one want a style that expresses some kind of order or symmetry?

Not sure what this has to do with corporations or business, or what you mean by "ethereally" representing something.

I was just giving an example when i was talking about corps. & businesses. i.e., The purposefulness of the archetecture of the Chrystler Building or a newer example would be the openess of the new New York Times building in NY. (currently being built). As you must know, many "entities" whether they be business or government oriented, try to communicate their, i don't know what to call it.......vision? mission statement?...help me out here........ They try to communicate this through their archetecture. For instance, in Berlin, the remodeled "City Hall" purposely has a transparant dome to communicate an openess between the government and the people.

I guess i was just expressing that maybe we could think differently regarding straight lines, right angles and bold strength = a building touting a law abiding office. Calatrava and Gehry are two of my favorites, so i am probably just promoting them and not presenting a logical argument. :blush:

thoughts?

m.

Archived