City Building Connector To Link White Oak Bayou Greenway Trail With MKT Trail By The Heights

This has been in the works for awhile. Lauren Groves, former CoH Planning Department transportation team member now works for Public Works and mentioned it during the Bicycle Advisory Infrastructure Subcommittee meeting today. 

This has been in the works for a few months as they needed lots of entities to sign off on it.

One thing that was kind of funny was that they weren't sure who was paying for it. I think they decided it might be TXDOT (*cough bloodmoney *cough*)

This has always kind of bewildered me that it has never been done, but here we are!

gCHrrFn.png

RLOBQp0.png

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is being delayed slightly to an estimated January opening. Construction should be starting in July now (instead of June). 

It was mentioned that it might be completely before the nearby bridge that burned is reopened. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to City Building Connector To Link White Oak Bayou Greenway Trail With MKT Trail By The Heights
  • 2 weeks later...

hmmm, i'm guessing when they were planning on repairing the mkt bridge that caught on fire, they realized they could also do some of the prep work for this 850 ft segment.  i really hope the planning for this work was the reason it took so long to get started on the bridge.

21 hours ago, august948 said:

Wait a minute...the graphic says early winter 2022.  That would be Q1 2022.

19 hours ago, samagon said:

or Christmas 2022 lol. they're either going to work Really fast, or Really slow.

If this is the case, then this is why we shouldn't use seasons to convey things. Winter 2022 should not be freaking January 2022.

19 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Laying 850 feet of bike trail in about 5 months is not what I would call "really fast". 

They are building a bridge as part of this.

18 hours ago, TrainTrak said:

hmmm, i'm guessing when they were planning on repairing the mkt bridge that caught on fire, they realized they could also do some of the prep work for this 850 ft segment.  i really hope the planning for this work was the reason it took so long to get started on the bridge.

I don't think so. Houston Parks Board is doing the bridge repair and CoH is doing the MKT connector I think?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just left the Virtual community meeting and the proposed finish date is April 7th, 2022, weather permitting. Start date is Nov. 1st. They will be working Mon. thru Sat. 7am to 7pm and an occasional Sun. to make up time for weather delays. 

Teamwork Construction Services is the contractor, no website found for them.

czjdxQ5.png

Bd2KNSO.png

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just got this email from the Houston Parks Board........

"The plan documents needed for the additional repairs to address damage caused by the August 2020 fire have received expedited approval by the City of Houston and Harris County Flood Control District. With this necessary step now complete, Houston Parks Board continues to move forward with repair work to this vital trail connection. 

On-site construction on the bridge is expected to resume in March, after steel is fabricated for the repairs. Construction is estimated to be complete in late Summer 2022, weather permitting. The current detour will remain in place until construction is complete.

We are working diligently to restore the bridge as quickly as possible. We sincerely appreciate your continued patience and we will continue to share updates as we have them."

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 3:15 PM, pokemonizepic said:

still no noticeable progress on the connector or the bridge for about a month now. 

IMG_0001.JPEG

IMG_0002.JPEG

IMG_0004.JPEG

Two months ago I sent a note asking for info because of the same reason - was told the contractor was working on pre-construction deliverables and construction should begin shortly. Even as of today, I think the only activity was the minor flooding that moved a ton of brush against their bulldozer (who knows, it may have gotten water damage further delaying this).

I attended an info session last year that said it would start 11/1 and be roughly 5 months to complete. Pretty disappointed in the delays and lack of communication. Given how many years it took for this to become a potential reality I'm not surprised...and ill be thrilled if construction on the bridge starts by summer 2022 🤣

Ps: I sent another request for info on the connector earlier this week, no response yet but will share if received.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad to see them not using the trail and are instead using laminated mats. When they built Buffalo Bayou Trail, contractors for future add-ons damaged the new trail with their heavy equipment.

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 3