1 hour ago, OkieEric said:

This is *kind of* unrelated, but a few weeks ago I was coming south on Kirby and saw a guy on his bike in the right lane just cruising along at a snail's pace.  Granted, he ignored all rules of the road and rode on past traffic stopped at lights, through red lights themselves, etc., but that dude kept pace with me from Westpark nearly to Holcombe.  Not sure what could help alleviate some of the traffic in that area but it will be nice to get Buffalo Speedway back eventually

It's a lot easier for cyclists to yield at red lights than stopping every single time. 

6 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

It's a lot easier for cyclists to yield at red lights than stopping every single time. 

Oh, come on.  This isn't midtown or downtown with lights every block and sorry, if you are riding your bike down Kirby at rush hour at a leisurely pace, then passing and re-passing cars at red lights as you ignore them, you can go fly a kite.  My point was that there are serious traffic issues on Kirby as is, so a "road diet" is simply not going to work.  You must not live very far south off Kirby or you would realize this not remotely feasible.

It would be nice to see that stretch from 59 to Bissonnet finally redone.  Upper Kirby TIRZ extends there so not sure what the hold up is as I've seen it come and go from Houston CIP over the years.  South of there (even though outside Upper Kirby) it would be nice to see similar touches to Upper Kirby, but I know that is a pipe dream.   South of University there's just not much room to do much of anything

On 10/28/2022 at 11:35 PM, OkieEric said:

Oh, come on.  This isn't midtown or downtown with lights every block and sorry, if you are riding your bike down Kirby at rush hour at a leisurely pace, then passing and re-passing cars at red lights as you ignore them, you can go fly a kite.  My point was that there are serious traffic issues on Kirby as is, so a "road diet" is simply not going to work.  You must not live very far south off Kirby or you would realize this not remotely feasible.

It would be nice to see that stretch from 59 to Bissonnet finally redone.  Upper Kirby TIRZ extends there so not sure what the hold up is as I've seen it come and go from Houston CIP over the years.  South of there (even though outside Upper Kirby) it would be nice to see similar touches to Upper Kirby, but I know that is a pipe dream.   South of University there's just not much room to do much of anything

Go ride a bike and come back with a better opinion. I ride everywhere in this city, and can tell you it's much easier to yield. Just because it isn't downtown or Midtown is irrelevant when approaching a red light. Would you rather every cyclist stop at a red light while you sit behind fuming because we won't get out of the way? You can't have it both ways and complain. I live right off Kirby and W Alabama so I see the traffic daily, but that doesn't mean the road wasn't poorly designed to begin with as most Houston streets are. You're just accustomed to seeing traffic and assuming nothing can be done because how could people possibly get around without a car. If you provided easier more accessible ways to travel, you would cut traffic on Kirby and encourage cycling or transit use while making Kirby much more pedestrian.

Edited by j_cuevas713

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to Loro Asian Smokehouse & Bar At 5333 Kirby Dr.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...