How Do You Define A Low-Rise, High-Rise, Etc.

Rio Grande Valley

I was just curious to find out what is the breaking point to distinguish a low-rise building from a high-rise building.

For example, my definition of a low-rise is any building that is between 4 and 11 stories, a high-rise is a building that is 12 stories +, and a skyscraper is a building that is greater than or equal to 400 feet.

I was just curious to find out what is the breaking point to distinguish a low-rise building from a high-rise building.

For example, my definition of a low-rise is any building that is between 4 and 11 stories, a high-rise is a building that is 12 stories +, and a skyscraper is a building that is greater than or equal to 400 feet.

:rolleyes: well yeah

your rite. ^_^

The Houston Association of Realtors defines a high rise as a building with 9 stories or more. However, if you look at HAR.com they do not follow their own guidelines causing the properties to be listed in the wrong category. For example, HAR.com has many mid rise buildings listed in the high rise category. If I owned a property and was trying to sell I would insist that it be listed where a buyer is looking, in the proper category.

I know that Emporis considers a highrise to be 12 floors and up. Whether that's accurate or not I don't know.

It's not, and shows yet another problem with Emporis crowd (aside from thei obvious bias against Houston).

Officially, a skyscraper is at least six stories tall with a steel frame and elevators, which pretty much describes the world's first skyscraper, built in Chicago.

But many consider that definition out of date.

In my opinion, it varies with geography. In Oshkosh, Wisconsin six stories would still be a skyscraper. In New York it's an afterthought.

It's not, and shows yet another problem with Emporis crowd (aside from thei obvious bias against Houston).

Officially, a skyscraper is at least six stories tall with a steel frame and elevators, which pretty much describes the world's first skyscraper, built in Chicago.

But many consider that definition out of date.

In my opinion, it varies with geography. In Oshkosh, Wisconsin six stories would still be a skyscraper. In New York it's an afterthought.

Good to know, I've learned yet another thing on the forum. As far as Emporis, I don't frequent the site so I didn't know they were biased against us. Anyway, thanks for the info.

May I further confuse matters?

I think elevators enter into the formula. If it's more than a low-rise, it will have an elevator. Let's agree on that.

And it depends on the surroundings. If it's a small city, a midrise might be four stories. In a larger one, it might be eight. And there are buildings that I think of as 'midrise' which are considerably taller (40-50 stories) - depending on the surrounding buildings.

In some places, even 'low-rise' buildings would be considered skyscrapers. It depends on the context.

These are locally defined terms (IMHO). Hell, my treehouse had four stories... :D

The newest designation is Super Tall

4121005271528.jpg

The Burj Dubai

200+ stories currently under consrtuction.

Architecture by SOM.

B)

It's a very impressive building, for sure, but I must correct you. It's 2300+ feet tall, but only 160+ floors.

There is also a building planned for Kuwait which would be over 3,000 feet tall and would literally dwarf the Burj Dubai.

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I am new to these, so I am hope I am doing this right.

In houston - these criteria are determined by building codes.

A low-rise is any building that can technincally be constructed of sticks and bricks - which is usually no more than four stories, five if you have metal studs.

A mid rise is defined as any building, the floor of whose upper-most level does not exceed 70' or 75' (I think it is seventy). Which is generally no more then eight stories.

A high rise is anything where the floor of the upper most level is higher than that 70' and you get into all sorts of new regs for pressurizing the stairwells etc.)

These are fire codes and you can find them on-line, but it is a long time since I looked them up.

• 1 year later...
The newest designation is Super Tall

4121005271528.jpg

The Burj Dubai

200+ stories currently under consrtuction.

Architecture by SOM.

B)

I wonder if those people living on the top floors are provided a parachute in event of a fire. I surely don't see anyone on the top floors surviving if the bottom floors are on fire.

• 1 year later...

SprinklerDesigner2 is right.

A hirise starts at about 75+ feet, or 7+ stories. This is the highest the ladders on the Ladder Trucks can reach.

After about 7 floors, a fire becomes that much more difficult and that much more serious.

The term hirise presents a whole new ball game when fighting fires.

I would say in approx story count:

1-3 low rise

4-7 Midrise

8 and up hirise

...and skyscrapers can be whatever you want. Lets say in a city of nothing but 7 story buildings, a simply 20 story building could be considered a skyscraper, just depends where you are.

And a Supertall I would define as 40 floors and up, because by this point you would need extra mechanical levels to pump water, distribute power, and air conditioning. Where the building would essentially be multiple buildings stacked, similar to how people say the Williams Tower is like two 32 story towers stacked, or how the former World Trade Center was like 3 towers stacked to make each tower.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep an eye on the 2009 edition of the International Building Code. High-rise will be 75'-450' and everything above 450' will be categorized separately (super high-rise, I believe). I still cannot find a definition for "mid-rise" in the International Codes or NFPA. Different jurisdictions and property managers define mid-rise, well, differently. As far as I'm concerned, until NFPA or ICC defines the term "mid-rise", I will continue to think that those insistent on using this term are referring to their undergarments. Good day! :lol:

Keep an eye on the 2009 edition of the International Building Code. High-rise will be 75'-450' and everything above 450' will be categorized separately (super high-rise, I believe). I still cannot find a definition for "mid-rise" in the International Codes or NFPA. Different jurisdictions and property managers define mid-rise, well, differently. As far as I'm concerned, until NFPA or ICC defines the term "mid-rise", I will continue to think that those insistent on using this term are referring to their undergarments. Good day! :lol:

I am in the fire alarm biz also...this is right.

• The title was changed to How Do You Define A Low-Rise, High-Rise, Etc.

Archived