Freeway Forests

cwrm4

For the past couple months I have watched the "urban forests" being planted along 288 inside the loop. Just yesterday I noticed that new trees are now being planted on the north side of I-10 between I-45 and Studemont.

I think this is a great step forward in helping to separate freeway blight from the neighborhoods that border these areas.

I'm curious though - is this a TxDoT inititative, or is someone else (the city, environmental group, etc) sponsoring it? If it is TxDoT, I could be on the verge of paying them a positive comment for the first time in my life.

TXDOT planted the trees along and near the BW8 interchanges for sure.

Not sure about 288.

But one thing I am sure about, is that the Palm trees they planted along Dowling @45 and 45@ Scott look like poop.

This is Houston, not Miami.

At least the Palms @ Southbelt look OK, but the ones inside the loop should be removed.

I'm curious though - is this a TxDoT inititative, or is someone else (the city, environmental group, etc) sponsoring it? If it is TxDoT, I could be on the verge of paying them a positive comment for the first time in my life.

This is a TxDOT initiative and it is called the Green Ribbon project. You can find a link to download a PDF describing the plan here

http://www.katyfreeway.org/green_ribbon.html

In general, they want to give each freeway a distinct landscaping identity/theme.

In the recently-approved federal transportation legislation there was a significant earmark for the Green Ribbon project (I'm thinking it was something like $17 million, but I'm not sure).

However, TxDOT is not expected to provide all the funding for the Green Ribbon project. They are looking for partners such as Uptown Houston and local cities like Sugar Land.

From what I've seen, those losers from TXDOT hired a "landscape architect" to do landscaping around the Beltways. Unfortunately, the "landscape architect" doesn't know crap about design and put in lots of ground cover and shrubs, which TXDOT subsequently neglected and is in a total shambles. IDIOTS! Just plant trees that don't require any maintenance. Shrubs and ground cover need lots of triming and upkeep, which TXDOT doesn't or can't afford. I really liked the pine trees they had on I-10 and Loop 610, but they tore them out for the expansion.

There is a nice mix of oak and pines up near Humble and BW8. But they don't get the water they need.

The tress near 59 and 610 are doing great, but they look like they don't live too be very old. I think the best growth is at 45 and BW8. This plams there actually grow.

But you do need the public participation. There was an article not long ago how The Woodlands and TXDOT worked together. But the rest of this city is far too unogranized. We can't even deal with our litter problem.

On a positive note. They are planting a lot of new trees along Travis. Not sure if the downtown trees get enough care either. Some of the guidlines Trees for Houston and the COH Forestry department are not being followed downtown.

Go figure.

Here's an article from the Chronicle about

them trees

Texas 288 gets even greener

Second phase of beautification, landscaping effort plants more trees

By MIKE SNYDER

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

......The Texas 288 broad median was intended to preserve right of way for future expansion of the freeway. Highway department officials, however, said no expansion is likely for the next 10 years or so, giving Houstonians plenty of time to enjoy the new landscaping.

I hope it doesn't come down to the freeway expanding and tearing down trees like they did at I-10 and 610.

Here's an article from the Chronicle about

them trees

I hope it doesn't come down to the freeway expanding and tearing down trees like they did at I-10 and 610.

I will make an educated guess that once the 610/10 intersection is finished, it will be re-forested.

I remember when 610 @ 290 was built and look at it now. Same when 610 @ 10 was built.

B)

BTW: Where are you now? Home or "away"?

Which ever, remain safe. ;)

I will make an educated guess that once the 610/10 intersection is finished, it will be re-forested.

I remember when 610 @ 290 was built and look at it now. Same when 610 @ 10 was built.

B)

BTW: Where are you now? Home or "away"?

Which ever, remain safe. ;)

Yeah it was just a shame to see all those trees get torn down after they were well established.

I'm still away.....hopefully I will be back in town late Jan. or in Feb.

.....can't wait :D

TXDOT planted the trees along and near the BW8 interchanges for sure.

Not sure about 288.

But one thing I am sure about, is that the Palm trees they planted along Dowling @45 and 45@ Scott look like poop.

This is Houston, not Miami.

At least the Palms @ Southbelt look OK, but the ones inside the loop should be removed.

What are you talking about Palms trees are great I like the ones that line post oak , If anything we need a lot more of them planted but the extremly tall ones not those stubby ones

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah it was just a shame to see all those trees get torn down after they were well established.

I know it doens't help much, but at least the trees there weren't just cut down. Most were removed and trasplanted to the Milly Bush Dog Park at George Bush Park in Pct. 3. That at least is a big improvement over the way things are usually done in this city.

Without specifying which palms where look best, I like the way palm trees look and found them a good choice for placing along the highway. It is amazing when you look around and realize how many palms there are in this town. First place that comes to mind is W Gray.

Surprisingly, palms line Canal street in New Orleans down around the Quarter. Most people would never think that. What I mean is they certainly aren't just for southern Florida.

Another benefit is palms shoot up fast if they are watered enough.

I know one thing for sure is I45 North of Downtown, all the way past The Woodlands is getting pine trees planted like crazy in the once barren grassy areas between the freeway & the feeder road. As a matter of fact, I see workers tilling up the dirt & planting them almost every day. I'll try to get some pix tommorrow for y'all.

• 2 months later...

I have searched and searched this form and the internet and I can't seem to find out what are the Eucalyptus like trees that are popping up along the Beltway @ 59 in Houston and now found some at Moody Gardens in Galveston.

I have searched and searched this form and the internet and I can't seem to find out what are the Eucalyptus like trees that are popping up along the Beltway @ 59 in Houston and now found some at Moody Gardens in Galveston.

I contacted TxDOT and it is a hybrid Eucalytus designed to survive our winters. They grow extremely well in Houston and become very tall very quickly, such as at BW8 and 59S. There is also a large stand at 610 and 59N. The hybrids are produced by a local nursery but I don't know that the other component is.

Apparently TxDOT does not use them widely because landscaping partners (ie cities and agencies) want indigenous plants and trees. Personally, I would like to see more of the hybrid Eucalyptus. Eucalyptus are not indigenous to California but they look great along California freeways.

Apparently TxDOT does not use them widely because landscaping partners (ie cities and agencies) want indigenous plants and trees. Personally, I would like to see more of the hybrid Eucalyptus. Eucalyptus are not indigenous to California but they look great along California freeways.

What are some of the trees considered indigenous to Houston?

I know there are a lot of Live Oaks and Pines (what type?).

I would love to know the best (natural?) trees for the area.

What are some of the trees considered indigenous to Houston?

I know there are a lot of Live Oaks and Pines (what type?).

I would love to know the best (natural?) trees for the area.

Pin Oaks, Post Oaks, Live Oaks, Red Buds, White Oaks-my favorites, Tallows because of their colors in the fall, Ash [but they dissemble after about 15 years] and Crepe Myrtles-they're not considered to be trees by many but there is still one on my grandparent's property on E 11th that has said to be one of the biggest in Texas -35' tall and looks like a tree to me ;) .

B)

Pin Oaks, Post Oaks, Live Oaks, Red Buds, White Oaks-my favorites, Tallows because of their colors in the fall, Ash [but they dissemble after about 15 years] and Crepe Myrtles-they're not considered to be trees by many but there is still one on my grandparent's property on E 11th that has said to be one of the biggest in Texas -35' tall and looks like a tree to me ;) .

B)

Tallow trees are not native to Houston...or the US for that matter. I hear they were planted widely by developers in the early 20th century because of the fall colors, and the fact that they are fast growers.

However, as you said, they also have a short life span.

I've also been told that they are ecologically worthless trees. They are an invader species, crowding out native species of trees and grass on our native prairies (this is obvious on the coastal plains south of Houston). In addition, I've been told that the trees are not used by any animal. Neither birds nor animals will eat their fruits, and neither birds nor animals will use the tree for a nesting grounds.

Kill all the tallows you can...and then kill some more.

I contacted TxDOT and it is a hybrid Eucalytus designed to survive our winters. They grow extremely well in Houston and become very tall very quickly, such as at BW8 and 59S. There is also a large stand at 610 and 59N. The hybrids are produced by a local nursery but I don't know that the other component is.

Those eucalyptus grow 20 feet a year and will get 200 feet high according to the nursery. I went out and bought some of them for $10 each. They are located near Surfside. All those trees are female.

I have read a lot of negative stuff about eucalyptus. But maybe it's related to a particular type.

It's like overnight they've been popping up all around. There's some near Texas City planted right off 146 along a bayou and I belive there are some planted along 59 @ Hazard above. I wonder what is the advantage of using these non-native trees around our area and is there any risk like the chinese tallows? I also wonder what they are a hybrid of and where you can get them?

Eucalyptus are invasive, can use up lots of water, and are a huge fire hazard because of their oily leaves. Was a big mistake to introduce them to California, their wood was crappy and they made the fire danger much worse. Would be a mistake to let them get out of control here, but unscrupulous nurseries only care about making a quick buck.

I've also been told that they are ecologically worthless trees...In addition, I've been told that the trees are not used by any animal. Neither birds nor animals will eat their fruits, and neither birds nor animals will use the tree for a nesting grounds.

While Tallows are invasive, poisonous to cattle, and generally a trash tree, the above is baloney.

Archived