2910 McKinney St.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 5:38 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Is local bakery and cafe Kraftsman opening an outpost at 2910 McKinney?

Last month, a filing with Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations was recorded for Kraftsman. The address listed is 2910 McKinney St, Ste 400. It will be located next to Austin-born bar Nickel City.

The language on the filing is a little confusing. I can't make out if this will be Kraftsman's manufacturing facility / commissary kitchen or a new bakery and cafe location:

"Second generation interior remodel on the first floor of an existing 1-story commercial building located at 2910 McKinney Street, Houston, TX. 77003."

The unit is 17,340 sq ft.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Print/TABS2023000820

On 10/12/2022 at 2:39 PM, phillip_white said:

Permit issued yesterday for buildout of a manufacturing space & warehouse for Kraftsmen Manufacturing.

CultureMap reports on Kraftsmen's closure at 611 W 22nd St, Suite 1A. The cafe and bakery is located in the Heights Clock Tower. 

In yesterday's article, there is a blurb pertaining to Kraftsmen's relocation:

"...The closure comes as Kraftsmen prepares to leave its longtime home on W 22nd St. for a new facility that’s expected to open this summer in a location that will be announced at a later date."

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/kraftsmen-bakery-cafe-closing-moving-the-heights-1/

As noted in previous posts from last fall, Kraftsmen is opening a facility in East Downtown. Their new location at 2910 McKinney Street, Suite 400 could be a manufacturing facility / commissary kitchen. Building permits lists a buildout for a manufacturing space & warehouse. Still, I don't know if it will also include a bakery and cafe. 

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 2

While going by this project I saw a guy outside so I stopped to talk with him. Turns out he is the owner of the building who said he used to work for Midway. He confirmed that Nickel City and Kraftsmen are both moving in. Again as every single person I have talked with, permits are the issue holding up progress. He said they have waited 8 months trying to get permits. Kraftsmen is only going to have an industrial bakery initially but have long term plans to eventually open a cafe too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hindesky said:

6jMw3X3.jpg

Is there any chance of taking some of the ROW from the car lanes on McKinney to improve the pedestrian realm? I don't think the traffic volumes mandate the 4 lanes (and they encourage the speeding problems this stretch regularly deals with), but a narrower roadway and better pedestrian realm could help accelerate the activation of the street here.

Edited by 004n063
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Is there any chance of taking some of the ROW from the car lanes on McKinney to improve the pedestrian realm? I don't think the traffic volumes mandate the 4 lanes (and they encourage the speeding problems this stretch regularly deals with), but a narrower roadway and better pedestrian realm could help accelerate the activation of the street here.

Yeah, I can definitely see that. There only needs to be one lane of through traffic each direction and then one lane of parking. Could easily pull 5-6' out of the road to add to the pedestrian ROW.

This is just a block from Columbia Tap, which might be getting a significant rebuild/improvement.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Last month, Kraftsmen / Kraftsmen Baking received a change of ownership inspection from the city's health department. The local bakery is relocating from the Heights to its new location at 2910 McKinney Street, Suite 400.

25Ayg1s.png

Correction: Last month, Kraftsmen / Kraftsmen Baking received a pre-opening inspection from the city's health department. The local bakery is relocating from the Heights to its new location at 2910 McKinney Street, Suite 400.